Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,231 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Surely if the WF has been changed it can be shown.

Anyone able to post the changed text?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭moon2

Indeed, what a win:

Legislation to confirm Windsor Framework labelling requirements will apply across the UK;

They eliminated one difference between GB and NI by aligning all of the UK to the EU requirements. To be fair, kudos to the DUP for softening brexit for everyone!

I wonder if this is what the "removed checks" claim is actually based on - they plan to mandate the EU standard for the whole UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Poor Sammy giving out about the EU

What did he expect with brexit

Didn't think that through

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't disagree with you yagan but on the other hand I do think there is some merit in allowing these contrarian posts to stand.

Unfortunately these views are no longer just the preserve of a few fringe elements out in the political wilderness so it's more important than ever that they are debunked and seen to be debunked.

Indeed it was that very debunking, that's been done so well by any number of ye on this forum over the years, that I engaged with oh so many Brexit threads ago and which completely changed my own view and understanding of the EU and how it works.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's instructive that the wind has gone so much out of the sails of any narrative about Brexit's supposed benefits, opportunities and advantages, proven by 8(!!) years of stumbling and demonstrative peril, that the most we see are the occasional drive-by posts that'll make a bold claim based on highly selective quotations, then disappear while the rest of us guffaw at the lingering fundamentalism.

Seems to recall the last time we were here, London's startup capital numbers was proof Brexit was working, despite no evidence startups contribute anything meaningful to the overall economy of a country. The two or three that actually survive more than 12 months that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Really feels like this is the end of the process, roughly 7.5 years since the referendum vote. With the Protocol fully secured and Stormont back in session, Brexit is "done". "Done" is now absent of any further caveats, as much as there is a noisy minority in both England and Northern Ireland who will say Brexit has been betrayed from the outset, and the end destination with respect to Northern Ireland is fundamentally unpalatable.

In the end, Ireland was able to protect its position in the Single Market and the institutions of the GFA remain operational. It got confusing at times, but our key concerns were robustly supported by the EU and ultimately addressed despite lots of Perfidious Albion.

Brexit was a half baked notion, that lacked a singular end state upon which all of its proponents could agree, and could never be successful once it washed up against the forbidding rocks of the EU's formidable negotiating capability. David Cameron should never have rolled the dice on something so existential and subversive, although the growing domestic pressure was becoming intolerable and the bespoke membership status with multiple opt outs was a fabulous deal. The EU had already bent over backwards to offer the U.K. a tremendous arrangement.

But both sides of the Brexit equation underestimated the difficulties and complexities of their position. The referendum required a much more aggressive and innovative Remain effort, Remain were caught on the hop. Meanwhile Brexiteers made countless arrogant assumptions that proved incorrect. The Car Czars of Germany and France never did pick up the phone to demand a 'have your cake and eat it' exit.

You return to those chaotic months in 2019 when a divided parliament represented a divided public. No single version of Brexit, nor Remain, could ever command 50% (or near to it) of the electorate. Hopefully the political chaos and unambiguously negative end outcome dissuade other EU states from wanting to leave. Ireland continues to benefit enormously from our participation in the EU, and our interests can be much better represented and protected from within the club. The challenge is to remember that when times get hard, and they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,167 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Brexit has definitely ended the idea of anyone else leaving.

Orban cries and moans but his no intention of going, the Polish were the same for years. The previously anti EU are in power in Italy and no movement from them either (Meloni's backtracking on the EU and immigration has been astounding)

Brexit isn't over though because this latest UK agreement only lasts until someone tries to diverge from current standards.

Interesting take from Rees-Mogg on his show last night marking 4 years since Brexit.

The UK has dodged 4,500 EU Directives, including a gender directive to force companies into greater gender balance in their Executive ranks, mandatory reporting on ESG performance by companies, land directives that triggered the current farmers protest.

The EU has concluded zero additional trade deals, with talks suspended with Australia.

UK growth exceeding EU and Eurozone growth, exceeding the size of French and German economies.

UK seeking trade deals with the faster growing global economies.

... Makes you think.

• Advertisement

Makes you think.

Sounds like shte to people who actually think about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You are really going to go by what JRM has to say? He has been wrong about virtually everything regarding Brexit and when he was Minister for Brexit Benefits he failed to name even one.

But he spouts of a list of stuff without any context or description and you just blindly accept them not only as facts, but facts that shoe Brexit is a success.

Did you stop to ask if all these wins were because of the great deal that Johnson did, which he voted for, or because of the subsequent rowing back that had to be done?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This would be the same Rees-Mogg who want to force rape victims to carry their assailant's child to term, immediately moved Somerset Capital Management to Dublin post Brexit and said could take 60 years to see benefits?

Why are you parroting this?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It's not JRM saying it, it was an investigative piece by another journalist.

It certainly points to Brexit not being the calamity we were told it would be.

As I said before, that's my greatest fear is that the UK will destroy the EU, particularly Ireland. The US already is, leaving the EU for dust in terms of innovation and economic growth.

Can you name the journalist and provide a link to their investigative piece?

As for not being a calamity, Brexit has been nothing but from day one.

The whole thing is built on lies, and more and more lies had to be told to Get Brexit Done, all of which has had a hugely damaging effect on UK politics, society and their economy.

And on your last point, please explain to me how exactly the UK is going to destroy the EU?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As I said before, that's my greatest fear is that the UK will destroy the EU, particularly Ireland.

How might this actually happen in the real world?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But you quoted JRM and now that that's been questioned, you're moving the goalposts.

Honestly, this stinks of Irexiter nonsense. The UK can't govern itself properly but will somehow destroy the EU. You continually contort yourself to maintain a fantasy that's as sad as it is pathetic.

The EU is not going anywhere and parroting Brexiter nonsense from venal liars is not going to alter that.

It's been almost eight years now. I'm bemused why you persist on dredging up debunked drivel from over half a decade ago. It's fantastic nonsense from nationalists who ceaselessly purse the worst for their own people.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭yagan

Again salonfire throws shite out without a link.

This is not an update to the discussion. It's the same lounge bore scutter that's too entertained on this site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What is "innovation" supposed to be as a viable metric? That's just abstraction without substance.

Economies go up and down, there are clear wobbles in the EU at the moment, but only one has decided to sanction itself as an ideological decision - and there's zero indication the decision has paid off in any respect. Trade deals have shown to be next to useless, the local economy in real terms has become a horror show in places & the UK's existence as a rule taker ensures export and import will remain a pain point for years yet.

The UK can barely govern itself, we're far from this "Singapore on Thames" that was supposedly gonna threaten the EU.

Exactly why I disagree with people earlier who said the likes of Kermit should be entertained.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It certainly points to Brexit not being the calamity we were told it would be.

How?

The UK economy generally always grew faster than the EU average, that it is currently still doing so does not in and of itself tell you anything about the impact of Brexit. Most studies I have seen still fall down on the side of Brexit being a significant drag and that the separation between the UK and the EU has lessened.

The UK will end up having to follow a bucketload of the EU directives anyway. They will also introduce hundreds of their own. The mere act of not having EU directives automatically applicable by law is not this massive benefit that Brexiteers seem to think. Making the regulatory landscape more disjointed and confusing has the potential to be significantly worse.

Also the UK is failing miserably in finding new trade deals, so I wouldn't be trumpeting that as a positive.

Your greatest fear is stupid, frankly. Whatever may or may not befall the EU it won't be caused by an increasingly erratic and irrelevant UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

well according the house of commons library from the uk parliament , euro zone gdp is 3 percent above pre covid and brexit, uk gpd is 1.4 percent above pre covid and brexit.

at the same time the ukanrian war has cost geramy more than brexit the uk and germany significantly brings down the 3 percent euro growth.

• On Directives: yeah sure, the U.K. is no longer in the EU. It only approves ~80 Directives per year mind, so the number quoted there is typical nonsense. However you need to look beyond the fact of simply "dodging" EU law. Sure there is the sovereign argument for preferring to not be subject to such law (even though the U.K. had more than a proportional influence on the shaping of such laws) but this is only something beneficial if you can explain how the divergence is better? How does Business dodging Environmental, Social and Governance reporting help the average British citizen, for example?
    • On Trade deals: you can find information on the EU's trade deal efforts here: EU Trade agreements (europa.eu). To say there have been "zero" additional trade deals is manifestly false. Not that this stuff really matters anyway. Removing tariffs to trade from far flung economies doesn't move the needle on this stuff overall. Tariffs represent a small portion of the cost of trading across markets. Paperwork, geography, freedom of movement, equivalent standards: the Brexit idea of replacing a large immediate market by cobbling together trade deals with much smaller far flung markets is a nonsense
    • On relative economic performance: and this nonsense is in the most recent actual data: GDP - International Comparisons: Key Economic Indicators - House of Commons Library (parliament.uk). The eurozone has been growing more than the U.K. and that is forecast to continue. On Brexit specifically, you can find recent research estimating a 2 - 3% GDP reduction compared to a scenario where the U.K. retained membership: Revisiting the Effect of Brexit - NIESR

These claims are all easily googled salonfire, using reputable sources or primary data from the EU / U.K. directly. If you are accepting statements made by JRM absent of supporting data then it is YOU who is not "thinking".

Just to be clear I never said that the likes of Kermit should be 'entertained'.

Rather their posts should be allowed so that they can rightly be pulled asunder and shown for the politically illiterate nonsense that they are.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The EU has very little need to do any additional trade deals, given the huge number it has in place.

It's not desperate, like the UK is. But please point us to any trade deals the UK has done which actually advantage it compared to continuing in the EU

Scrap the cap!

Same difference. Either was threads go from have a steady trickle of informative posts worth reading to finding "30 unread" every time you open the phone but its 30 posts of over and back shte.

Anything in politics relating to Northern Ireland has been made absolutely uninhabitable by a Sinn Fein and a DUP clown.

If they were adding new input to the discussion that would be something, but it's the same scutter from the same posters presenting debunked tropes as new inputs.

As breazy said when a thread has a new update the expectation is new information, but too often it's pages of the same rebuttals of the same lounge lizard scutter.

I really only bother with this thread because the topic is still the largest geopolitical realignment for our country since the Whitaker reforms.

I'd be keen to hear what Brexit benefits the Irexiters would lament losing if the UK rejoined tomorrow.

I'm in Marseille for the rugby. I never get tired of overtaking moaning Brits at immigration. That's a bit of a niche one though and one I'd happily lose for EU membership.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The accepted view seems to be that Brexit is a busted flush and a total failure. Really, the only subject that current Brexiteers should be discussing is why it failed - not whether it was ever a good idea or not.

I can see both sides of the 'should people be allowed to post untruths' argument, but I must say I lean towards the idea that allowing people to pop up and repeat previously disproven drivel is a net negative. You shouldn't be allowed to post along the lines of Britain doing better economically post Brexit, because it is disproven by available economic data. You also shouldn't be allowed to say that it's doing better than the Eurozone. There is an objective truth that disproves such ideas. It would be like someone coming back periodically into the Geography forum and arguing that the earth is flat, despite them being disproven each time with pictures of the earth from space.

Arguing for Brexit benefits like reduced immigration, law making and global trade deals are a different category because, while those arguments are meritless on balance, it does require a bit more explaining of the point. Only a bit though.

The risk that is run by allowing people to pop up and misrepresent data or post outright lies is it creates an appearance of those core ideas being in dispute. They are not. You can *want* Brexit to have been good economically or you can *feel* it is better to "take back control" but reality is discordant with those ends. We live in a real world and certain things are just so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ya the situation may have been confusing at first but now it's clear that brexit is just a hassle adding complexity to trade

New hygiene certificates this week

Dup were eejits pushing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭mm_surf

I've had email conversations with some of the analysts at the OBR, with a view to seeing how their model determines the economic effects of brexit.

The biggest indicator they found to give an eye if scale was "trade intensity" in goods (trade levels in terns of both imports and exports).

It's dropped significantly for the UK compared to the G7. So it negates pr balances out any covid/inflation/Ukraine effects.

Brexiters simply handwave it away, of course.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

The UK will destroy the EU by dragging it down to it's level of stupidity and beating the EU with experience! :)

I mean BoJo as a PM and there are still calls for him to be re-elected! 🙈

Nope. It's just a lazy Irexiter link dump.

IEA disaster capitalist from 55 Tufton St. The idea that the UK will overtake the EU because Brexit wasn't a complete disaster is like telling a promising young athlete that they'll surpass Mo Farah if they have their legs removed and then saying they're ok because they're still alive.

Brexit was a stupid idea but Irexit makes it look like The Count of Monte Cristo. Heck, I asked in an interview in the Netherlands if that country was likely to leave the EU. My interlocutors laughed. The EU could spend trillions on marketing that would never be a tenth as effective as Brexit was and is.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

Mod: @landofthetree no more link dumps. I'd advise reading the charter before posting again.

• Advertisement

Merkel destroyed the German economy. Leo had created a insane housing crisis.

Unemployment is high in many EU countries.

Ireland is already robbing billions in investment from the rest of the EU with its libertarian far right corpo tax regime. The danger is if the UK or any big country in Europe does the same everywhere else will suffer.

What has the housing crisis got to do with Brexit?

Plus it is rather naive to blurt out that Leo created a housing crisis. Firstly, the current problems have been growing as a result of political decisions made over the last number of decades through bad planning, councils selling off our public housing stock, etc.

However, over the last number of years we've had a rotating Taoiseach so not sure why you think it was just Leo but possibly, like Irexit, thinking things through doesn't help your agenda.

How much investment has the UK taken from the EU since they voted to leave the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ireland represents around 1% of the EU in population size - you're getting slightly carried away there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Wow, they're own study no less puts them back at number 1!

You have heard self praise is no praise? 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ireland is robbing nothing from the EU via its low corp tax, any country is free to apply the same and compete on a similar basis.

We have high personal taxes here as a result,.so if anything,.Ireland is robbing from its own citizens to pay for its low corp tax rate.

Only lazy thinkers will blame the EU for this countries current woes, which are housing, taxation and poor local services, all of which are the result of our own governments doing, not the EU.

We have rip off, extortionate rent, unnafordable childcare costs, and sky high housing costs, all due to government policy, not the EU, or immigrants, which irexit types prefer to point the finger at.

Our young generation have no future in this country if they wish to house themselves, raise kids and save for retirement. Their choice is, similar to that we had in the 80's, emigrate of face a life of debt. But that again is our governments fault, no one else's, just the government that we keep electing.

A government that treats us more like economic units than citizens, the government is simply the HR and finance departments of Ireland Inc!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The real fear was that the UK might reduce corporation tax. Instead they increased it.

They always had full control of non-EU immigration. Except now it's increasing. And it's likely that fewer of today's immigrants will retire back to their home country which is a future cost.

The UK still hasn't replaced their insider access to Galileo leaving them very dependent on the GPS system controlled by the US for whatever it is that made Russa, China, the EU, India and Japan all throw billions at augmenting GPS using their own launch systems.

The UK still hasn't got any significant trade deal that's better than they'd have had if they stayed in the EU. Since each EU deal benefits some EU countries more than others the UK should be in a position to cherry pick a deal that suits them rather than accept a deal that would have favoured Germany or Italy or Poland more than them.

It also leaves the EU to get better deals as they no longer have to accommodate the UK's interests which means that even if they UK gets the same deal as the EU, it's likely to be worse than they would have got inside the EU.

Brexit isn't done. It's a journey not a destination. There'll be negotiations on things like fishing, "rules of origin" percentages as times run down on the current agreements. It'll be interesting to see how the new UK rules for NI goods get on if there's significant breaches of the preceding agreements.

From the language they use around the Rwanda bill all they have left from the Brexit project is the notion that they must be free to apply laws free of any other country, which is counterproductive as every trade deal requires an arbitrator and a legal mechanism for counter claims betwixt signatories.

So essentially they're still talking about deals with other countries while simultaneously stating they won't be bound by the deals they make. They talk as if the world doesn't hear them say they'll welch on every deal they make.

3500 jobs lost at a Ford factory in Germany.

.and what?

Mod: I advised you a few days ago to read the charter before posting. Next time you post irrelevant nonsense, I'll be taking firm action!

• Advertisement
Advertisement