Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Holdovers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's a well made film. Enjoyable. Nice to look at. As mentioned, nothing new, but still very well executed on many fronts.

My main issue with Giamatti's performance in regards to potential Oscar win, is that it feels like it's rethreading a ground too similar to Sideways. He's like the bloke he could have turned into if he never had his Sideways character arc.

Btw, what the hell was going on with that eyeball? Drew far more unnecessary attention than what it ever gave back in justifying its existence. Weird choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm seeing it on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It was a contact lens. I found it adds to how you perceive his character. A lazy eye can have a lot of stigma associated with it, from childhood bullying, his attractiveness to other people etc, these are no doubt things that his character would have had to deal with in life, without overtly being mentioned on screen. He has such a chip on his shoulder and the addition of the lazy eye adds to how you view his frustrations with his lot in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it.

Don't get complaints about "seen it before" or "formulaic". It's a very nice human story with nice characters and great performances by the cast, particularly Giamatti, who for me was perfectly cast for the role.

Can see why he's the main challenger to Cillian Murphy for Oscar nod, and he could get it.

Nothing wrong with a film being well made and having enjoyable story and I could'n't find anything to dislike about it.

It captured the time very well and I also liked that it was not overly sentimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No doubt the Academy loves this kind of saccharine candy floss film. Quite likely they will give the gong to Giamatti (for what is really a job he phoned in a lot of)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, that's why Giamatti is getting so much praise , not just from the Academy but from lots of different award bodies for his "phoned in" performance.

Seems there's many people who are just miserable on this forum and just don't want to enjoy things. Has to be dark, or a twist or maybe epic.

This is a very simple story, very well told and acted and unlike you I didn't find it saccharine at all.

I get the idea behind the eye thing, but for me it was a constant distraction. Couldnt get the Steve Buscemi meme out of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, I found it passable as a movie, but don't see it as award material. Why do I think he phoned it in? There was no challenge in the role. He could play that character with his eyes closed tbh.

I don't agree that he phoned it in, but I do agree that it wasn't a stretch for him. We've seen this character variation before in his career.

He does it well in fairness. Just not enough to blow you away, and start throwing awards at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Holdovers – 10/10

That feel when your most anticipated film delivers on every level. Paul Giamatti is one of my favourite actors and I adored he and Alexander Payne’s previous collaboration Sideways, so I pretty much knew this was a banker. The grainy 70’s aesthetic combined with the music choices made for a lovely couple of hours in the cinema. 

If it were up to me, I would give this all the awards. The only Oscar that I think it will win is best supporting actress for Da'Vine Joy Randolph, but perhaps I’m only saying that because her performance cut right into my very soul. Giamtti’s eye deserves an award alone. Factor in everything else and I think he edges Cillian Murphy. I don’t know where they dug Dominic Sessa up from, but what a debut. He brings a vulnerability to the role that works like a charm. 

I don’t know why they decided to release this in late January (it’s way too early) but it didn’t ruin my enjoyment at all. I’m just annoyed, as if they did bother to show this over the festive break, my Christmas would have been at least 33% better. That’s huge.

A very welcome new contender for GOAT Christmas film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

For me this is just a 6 or 7 out of 10. The 2 male leads were very good especially the young guy, I didn’t see anything special about the lady role. The film itself was a bit slow moving and I didn’t like the nostalgia feel to it. I compared it earlier to Planes, Trains….., Another film I found it similar to but very inferior, is Green Book. Now that film has some great acting in it and way better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

Green Book is one of the worst Oscar winners of all time imo

Each to their own

I thought it was pretty good, and VG was hard done not winning also. Last years best film winner EEAAO was worst to win of what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I don't see the big deal about this film. It's good but not great. Maybe a 7 out of 10.

Has PG stretched himself here? I don't think so. He has done this character, or a variant of it before. He does it well no doubt.

The story itself is enjoyable but I don't see it as a Christmas classic. I suspect the people who love it loved sideways and wanted more. This movie gives it to them.

Exactly. I also thought Sideways was very average. Was director also the descendants, another average family dramedy. This Holdovers is a nice film with good acting especially the new lad, but it’s no Xmas classic like Home Alone, Diehard, Planes Trains….. Green Book had an ending I can’t remember for either Xmas or Thanksgiving and that was a far better film with 2 powerhouse acting performances.

Advertisement