Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,617 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But was it a blow-in English horse, a visiting French horse, a local Irish horse or a Garda horse?

Apparently if you don't know the West Cork horse theory you have 'threadbare' knowledge of the case.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A hold your horses that can’t be true is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

Humour is always a good move when you need to deflect.

This little one, probably chased her out of the house and down the lane.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Ah it’s gas the way some people come on here armed with all the knowledge they’ve got from a podcast that they believe is balanced and impartial. They can even tell Leo Bolger is an honest truthful witness from listening to him on a podcast.

Horseshit!

Interesting article by a former colleague - certainly Jules appears to be now pushing the “Garda killer” story - it’s as good as any an explanation

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13028923/There-disquieting-eccentric-old-colleague-Ian-Bailey-believe-battered-beautiful-socialite-Sophie-Toscan-du-Plantier-death-dont-think-writes-DAVID-JONES.html

Yes, some interesting tidbits, I see the Ford car sighting in the morning popping up again.

Bailey was writing to a deadline – a newspaper story about the area’s first internet café – and needed to fax it the following morning. Her daughter had seen him writing at the kitchen table when she got up to go to the loo.

This came to light only in 2019, when Bailey’s lawyer was given sight of a weighty file on the case sent to French prosecutors by the Irish. It contained the statement of a driver who was dangerously overtaken on a bend by a speeding blue Ford car at about 7.30am on the morning of the murder. Suspecting it could have been Sophie’s killer, he reported the incident, but it appears police did not follow it up.

When she (Jules) heard of his passing, last Sunday, she ‘tried to cry but nothing came’, for she no longer had any feelings for him. Nevertheless, she intends to keep fighting to clear his name because there is ‘no one else left to defend him’.

God your after turning very bitter all of a sudden. I guess all that time and effort you put into investigating non existant boundary disputes is wasted now that it`s clear the cold case gang are only looking in one direction. Leo and Alfie makes two witnesses telling the same story. Conspiracies all over the place.

We had two Guards on tape discussing changing a witness statement.

We had a Guard tampering with evidence.

We had the Guards in unsafe conduct with multiple witnesses - noted by the DPP.

Conspiracies abound.

• Advertisement

All those hours and hours of Gardaí discussing the case, not knowing they were being recorded. Frankly, I`m surprised that`s all they came up with. If only every murder investigation was subject to such scrutiny.

All that time and effort you put into your notes and trawling through your beloved WCP has blinkered you. Time to look beyond Bailey now, that ship has sailed. Move on.

Post edited by chooseusername on

I`ve only done WCP once, but I did take a few notes on points of interest along the way. The documentaries too. They all provide a level of access to witnesses that the DPP didn`t have. Dunno why you`ve put quotations around "files" because I don`t have any. So the Baily ship has sailed then. Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭batman75

Watching Part 2 of the netflix doc homing in on the suspect. Detective Dwyer does not come across well. Comes across as an idiot. I think Bailey's accusations about the Gardai who questioned him are plausible. Of course Dwyer is going to refute them. The fact that he was English may also have added ire to the attitude of the Gardai. Bailey comes across to me as fairly normal. Yes he was clearly not well liked in Schull and we now know was found guilty of domestic violence so clearly no saint.

Not sure I believe his explanations about the injuries to his hand and neck. That being said the woman who said she saw him at Culfadda bridge is a confirmed liar. Logically he would have had no cause to be in that area as it took him further from his house had he started out at Sophie's.

The reference to the daughter seeing him when she got up to go to the loo? Am I hearing that for the first time? Or do we know what time it was?

I though one of the daughters came in late and saw the car there, not Bailey but just can’t recall offhand.

We know Jules has stated wasnt it 1am bedtime/asleep? So what time was Jules daughter sighting? Or is that just an inaccurate article? I believe next time Jules confirmed seeing Bailey was 9am- so a sighting by the daughter between 1am and 9am brings that time gap smaller where no one saw Bailey. ?

Or is all this just half accurate mush compared to official current understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Thought the Gardai in general came across terribly.

One item that got under my skin was when the Garda (can't remember his name) held an impromptu press conference outside the Garda Station to announce Bailey's release. He said something along the lines of "hurry up now and ye'll make it to the pubs before they close at 11pm" and he also said "Ye expected me to come out holding a head".

This just completely struck me as amateur hour. Like this is a murder investigation following a gruesome killing. I thought the tone was incredibly amateur and disrespectful.

Ginny Thomas came in at 230am but did not report noticing anyone present or absent.

So I am assuming it relates to the morning if Bailey was in the kitchen. Frustrating it is not more specific.

Appreciate it’s The Mail so not expecting accuracy -article was more a very light touch overview - still they could have got a bit more accuracy as the implication that Bailey had a witness who placed them in the house in the middle of the night is just adding to the massive amount of cloud and mist surrounding this case.

And considering how the DPP slated the “evidence” on the “official version”, it’s even more important to have accurate information out there now - I suppose it just adds to the whole conspiracy machine of this case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The idea that he would not be capable of f hiking across fields in the dead of night, in an inebriated condition, all for the possibility of sex is equally fanciful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hiking across fields and rough stony ground in the complete darkness of December in rural West Cork is far more likely to result in a broken leg than a leg over.

It's a fine night out, on Google maps find a spot 4kms from where you are.

Walk there and back, preferably on an unlit country road and report back here.

You should be back by 1 o'clock, if you don't fall in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I've listened to the West Cork podcast, I thought it was pretty good, reasonably well balanced - after listening to it, I had very little doubt that Bailey wasn't the culprit though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Do you mean you were certain of his innocence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Yes. I thought they presented the available "evidence" (including some off the wall sttuff) and allowed the listener to make up their own mind. IMO, there's simply no credible evidence that he did it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Reasons to suspect bailey...

-Lied about alibi

-Various excuses for scratches

-confessed to the killing

-put forward alternative theories about the murder to distract .The Horse theory, the French hitman , the deceased Garda from bantry

-history of violence against woman

-narcissistic self obsessed type likely to be attracted to exotic french lady

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Press were notified before both arrests and were at the station.

What I don't understand is, if the Superintendent felt so strongly that Bailey was going to kill a witness, why wasn't he charged and brought before an emergency criminal court and let a Judge decide on Bail?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭jonnreeks

What was the controversy over the blood stained metal gate that was removed by the gardaí at that time from Sophie Toscan's property.

The official response is that it was somehow destroyed by the National Forensic Laboratory on the basis it was of "no evidential benefit."

Another strange one!

When GSOC enquired about it during their investigation, it could not be located by the Guards.

Now maybe that is what happened to it, but then why couldn't the Guards give that straight answer to GSOC?

And there are multiple other pieces of evidence that could not be traced.

It was reported to GSOC that extensive searches had been carried out by An Garda Síochána for the missing items, which include:

• A blood-spattered gate taken from close to where Madame Toscan Du Plantier’s body was found.
    • A French wine bottle found four months after the murder in a field next to the scene.
    • A black overcoat belonging to Ian Bailey.
    • The original memo of interview of Jules Thomas following her arrest in 1997.
    • An original witness statement from Marie Farrell provided on 5 March 2004.
    • An original witness statement from Jules Thomas dated 19 February 1997.

https://www.thejournal.ie/grave-concern-over-missing-evidence-in-du-plantier-murder-investigation-4161933-Aug2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

-Lied about alibi — or misremembered, was it a deliberate lie? There was drink taken.

-Various excuses for scratches — the scratches were not significant scratches.

-confessed to the killing — likely in jest.

-put forward alternative theories about the murder to distract .The Horse theory, the French hitman , the deceased Garda from bantry — not to distract, acting as anyone would when under investigation for something they say they didn’t do. Likely an irrelevant point.

-history of violence against woman — fair point

-narcissistic self obsessed type likely to be attracted to exotic french lady — complete hogwash.

I agree with the Garda on tape, t’is flimsy like.

Advertisement