Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Wow you managed to find two articles instead of the normal one. Both of which are behind a paywall

But when you read the article MM says a vague statement and the rest of the article is FF have no interest in going into coalition.

Now can you stop posting the same nonsense 100s of times when this was already explained to you. The article is also 4 years old now and totally irrelvant, all the articles since and from MM says they won't.

No need to respond 100 times either

Based on?

So FF will join with SF who are the most disruptive party in terms of overseas? a party that is against Europe one minute and no idea the next...why would they join up with them is political disruption overseas? it would be the worst thing possible for Ireland. Especially when you consider SF and the fear the MNC have over their unrealistic policies?

Remember SF was the party shouting about grabbing the Apple money which was never Irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Everyone saw what he said as 'opening the door' including the two main newspapers of the state except you.

Was there a single member of FF happy to coalesce with FG...what would they have said prior to it happening?

When you answer that you'll catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I know plenty of FF members who want nothing to do with the idea of a coalition with SF. Including most of my in-laws.

They associate SF with murder, torture, crime and sectarianism. Kids being blown to pieces when out shopping for a birthday present. Maria Cahill. Le Mons and Kingsmill, Paul Quinn.

So did Paisley and he ended up chuckling with them in coalition. Ditto SF with Unionists

Way of the world Bobson - when what you want outweighs any aversions you might have had.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter, you will get drawn into the usual 100 posts of nonsense. FF members want nothing to do with SF, because of what you listed and because of the online army and abuse for years now. Why no party wants anything to do with SF, apart maybe for PBP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Augme

The idea that FF TDs will turn down a Minsiterial position, and thus refuse a coalition with, SF is comical. This is FF, they'll never turn down a chance to get their snout in the trough. As for the grassroots, they welcomed back Bertie with open arms so I can't imagine there isn't anything they can't get on board with once they are told to.

Absolutely this.

You'd think FF was some kind of puritanical holier than thou outfit to listen to some.

The original and best purveyors of sleeveen 'say one thing/do the other' politics in this country have not gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭pureza

Ah here now,are you saying that with a straight face? It's only when your party started transforming from a Marxist outfit to the virtually unrecognisable centre party that it is now that it started to grow

Isn't that the opposition equivalent of what you're accusing the government parties of doing ?

Deflection from the point made.

I stated a fact about FF not an ‘accusation’.

I wouldn’t have voted for SF until they evolved from what they were same as I wouldn’t have voted for FG when they were flirting with fascism or FF under Dev etc.

Parties evolve ideologically that’s more than evident with the political parties in this country.

At one time or another I have voted for most of them knowing what they are an were. I can no longer vote for FF or FG because of what they have evolved into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The question you guys are failing to engage with is what hapens if FF/SF is the only feasible government on the numbers. I will grant you there is little genuine affinity for SF at any level of FF but if it's a choice between forming a government with them and triggering another general election...

Sure they'll moan and play up on the higher moral ground for a while but remember FF done a deal with FG.

They will do whatever it takes if it comes to it.

That's their history.

So be it, if FF want to survive long term going into government with SF wil be the end of the party.

SF claimed they wont he election last time and couldn't form a government. If they win again as some supporter will claim it is up to them to form a government. So if they end up with another election it's SF fault and nobody else's.

Looks like going into C/S or coalition with FG will finish them more or less too. From a polling high of 33% now down to 17%.

Where is the floor for them if they continue?

I think a lot of FFers will be aware they need to do something different and that will come into play if the GE returns similar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭pureza

I of course only asked did you state it with a straight face given your party doing an even more extreme pirouette with the opposition version of the same thing

A legitimate challenge

Pot kettle etc

Party's evolve.

This isn't the 50's with staunch diehard FFers and FGers.

People switch their votes and I have in GE's voted for all the major party's at one time or another.

I am no more responsible for FG's flirtations with fascism if I vote for them today than I am for whatever SF did in their past if I vote for them.

I very much examine who the party are now before voting for them.

As I say, party's evolve and FF have evolved into a party indistinguishable from FG,

Will FF continue on that road?

IMO they won't without huge internal rifts.

The party political broadcast starts again

FG and fascism - tick

FF and FG same party - tick

SF not responsible for past - tick

I think you'll find I said, I am not responsible for these political party's past.

I am no more responsible for FG's flirtations with fascism if I vote for them today than I am for whatever SF did in their past if I vote for them.

The point being, I knew about FG's flirtation when I voted for them in 2011 and 16, I knew about SF's flirtation with Marxism in the past when I voted for them in 2020.

@pureza seems to be suggesting that political party's which by their nature evolve should be held responsible for all time for their past, if we did that, there would be no-one to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, but they are in government. If their vote is holding up vis-a-vis the last general election, and it appears to be doing so, they will be re-elected, of course it would be better for them to increase their vote, but an hour in government is worth a year in opposition. The challenge therefore is for Sinn Fein to try and form a government, which is looking less likely following the polls over the last two months.

Francie is right, parties do evolve. There is nobody in Fine Gael with any close association with fascism, there hasn't been for decades, in fact, they have elected a Jewish TD in recent times. However, with Sinn Fein, the subject of this thread, there are continued associations with violent republicanism, both in terms of personalities who were involved in terrorism like Gerry Kelly and Dessie Ellis, but also in their committed support for violent republicanism, something they refuse to repudiate.

To put it a different way, if you asked a modern-day FGer whether Eoin O'Duffy was right, 100% would tell you he was wrong, whereas if you asked a modern-day Shinner about the PIRA, they would tell you there was "no alternative", maintaining a support for political violence and the murdering of women and children, kneecapping of teenagers, and the kidnapping of mothers. That is a big difference that no SF mouthpiece can avoid.

• Advertisement

If that were to happen, FF would likely be a much smaller party than now, and would have lost seats. In that case, going into government with SF would be the end of the party. To avoid a general election, a confidence and supply arrangement would work better. The difference with the FG C&S is that FG were flexible enough to bend to FF's will, SF won't be able to do that, and if in government on their own, will have a succession of incompetent Ministers who will fail.

What connections to violent republicanism do these two still have?

Gerry Kelly and Dessie Ellis,

And where have FG and FF repudiated the violence of their forebears?

What you are of course wilfully missing in your analysis is the existence and signing of the GFA which has within it a commitment to democratic politics.

Nowhere within that document was a ceiling set if groups did not 'repudiate' their past actions.

Why?

Because no group has ever been asked to do that, neither the British, FF FG SF DUP etc etc.

Again, parties evolve and SF have, just like FG and FF have.

They have fulfilled their commitments to democratic politics and therefore are entitled to be voted for just like any other party's with violent pasts on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Dessie isn’t running again is he? Very much of the old school wing of the party.

I mean, how absurd is it to try and claim that Dessie Ellis or Gerry Kelly have no links to violent republicanism. They bombed and killed and maimed innocent people, they have not apologised, they have not atoned, and they are still defended by the leaders of SF who claim that there was no alternative to blowing up children in Warrington.

There was a very clear allegation made by blanch.

there are continued associations with violent republicanism, both in terms of personalities who were involved in terrorism like Gerry Kelly and Dessie Ellis,

I asked him to tell us what continued associations these two men have with violent republicanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

FG are very different from the time of Fitzgerald and even Bruton or maybe even Kenny.

The reality is that while some do have an issue with fighting back in the north, it isn't really going to make a difference.

It's just too long ago for most, for right or wrong.

If FG were interested or bothered about being in govt again, they could have been pushing for 30% + themselves, they aren't.

If they want SF to be far behind them electorally, then work for it, they just have lost all interest in governance and going on about provies is just more of the laziness from them.

Ah,,, the walkback

You said 'continued association'

There was no requirement for anyone involved in the conflict/war to atone or apologise. They were required to get involved in democratic politics which they did.

No-one else has had a ceiling set because they have not apologised for what happened in the conflict/war. Nor for the previous conflict/war that involved FF and FG members.

It's close to 100 years now. But SF supporter fire it up daily as if it is relevant.

Sinn Fein and the association with organised crime was a few months ago and we are told by the same supporters to forget about that, with the party leader lying about her involvement in it

Now if someone can explain that Im all ears.

Make the case/allegation Clo Clo.

What 'association' with 'organised crime' have you uncovered?

Where has the 'party leader' lied about her involvement in 'it'?

• Advertisement

They haven't gone away, you know. That's what one man said.

Advertisement