Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Oddly, my local off-licence is well under 250sqm, but has an RVM inside the door. They’ve obviously decided not to avail of the exception for some reason. There’s a Eurospar right next door that also has a machine, so it’s not out of some sense of civic duty to serve the local community. They must reckon that it will have a positive effect on their balance sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe

Or people will switch from beer cans to deposit-free glass bottles (as several on these threads have said) which takes a lot more energy to transport (weight / bulk) and causes a much worse litter problem if discarded

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a chance it'll actually make them a reasonable bit of side income considering people are likely to return a lot of empties there.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Well said and is something I am considering. As well as a bigger carbon footprint from delivery from brewery to retail outlet!

It would make a lot of sense for the Irish craft breweries to arrange a shared single bottle type and do take back/wash/reuse like was done in the past. But it'd need one body to organise it and considering there's already two craft brewery associations I don't think that is going to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Of the 703 SV and centra stores 540 (or 76%) of them will have RVMs

Assuming all of the 227 SV's will have them, the 480 Centras will share the other 313 locations meaning 65% of all Centra stores will have an RVM, a far cry from your "1 or 2"

I said 1 or 2 that are big enough to be required, e.g. 250sqm+. There's a Centra in Ashbourne that used to be a Supervalu for instance, so is definitely big enough.

Some pretty tiny shops have them in Germany, there's a small Rewe in BER airport train station that has two, but I'm not expecting as many here.

On the linked page it says 540 locations and 667 machines so yeah some locations will have 2+ machines, presumably these are the larger supervalu stores though

My local not particularly big SV has two, but they'd sell a lot of booze. A lot, so plenty of returns to take.

If you sell a lot of the in scope products it's well worth your while to have an RVM, 2.2c per bottle or can I think is the rate... That's 22c on a 10 pack of cans, I'd drink that in a week, so my local store will get €11.44 per year just off just me buying my regular booze there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

Pure mis-information.

Producers will pay a very small fee towards the admin of the scheme. It is currently set at 1.2c per container, 2c for large bottles.

Only cans with the re-turn barcode have the fee applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

Simple - it will give more footfall. They hope you use the voucher against a purchase rather than ask for cash.

This system is a carbon copy of the hugely successful Danish system. Virtually no changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

According to Alupro and numerous other googlable sources, in 2019 irelands aluminum packaging collection and recycling rate was around 79% while the average european rate is around 55%

While there may possibly have been negative changes to that since, there is no reason why they expanded this to cans. As somebody else above mentioned, cans are going to be the more difficult part of this for people as they damage so easily. A sack of plastic bottles you could play football with, coke cans not so much.

I would have applauded this scheme if it had been a double current sized deposit just on plastic, because it would have shown it was about recycling and people could much much more easily have taken part, or at least had a choice of which packaging they bought. Now the choice is gone, you're gonna pay, or you're gonna be inconvenienced. Or probably both because when that can in your bag bends, soz, your deposit is gone. But can they still have it anyway?

July 2023. Repak : Ireland surpasses all recycling targets.

June 2022.Irish Times. Ireland beats 2021 European recycling rate despite covid challenges.

Introduce this just for bottles, i think everybody is on board. We all know its a problem and irish people have proven over the past twenty years we will do the right thing.

Adding cans, you've removed consumer choice to avoid the bad product, taken revenue away from established recycling companies, created unnecessary inconvenience for a significant number of people, will cause bin charges to rise, and put the onus on the people to treat an easily damaged item with kid gloves to get their money back. All this accompanied by a piss poor awareness campaign to the public. And because....hopefully homeless people might pick up most likely damaged and non refundable litter?

I get annoyed thinking of me driving to a place i normally dont visit to get my money back while also paying monthly for my bin company to do this. But apparently im just an old curmudgeon. Then i think of the neighbours.

On my road, there is an 84 year old man who has very poor movement in his hands and is house bound. This is an inconvenience. He has no way to partake without possibly getting a taxi to a machine or shop and hoping somebody might assist. He can least afford this.

There is also a woman in her late seventies who permanently cares for her fifty ish year old severely disabled son. She cannot leave him alone. This is an inconvenience. She can drive to an rvm, but this involves getting her son ready for that trip, a notable amount of time. She can least afford this.

Both houses use online shopping. In a road of 12 houses.

Scam scam scam scam. We are being financially and / or time inconvenienced in order to pay for the creation of the body whose sole purpose is to insist we should be unnecessarily inconvenienced.

I honestly couldnt give a damn what germany does with similar schemes. When this was introduced in Germany, ireland had already began to go down a different path and that path proved to be really succesful, with the exception of bottles. Shameful move by this new quango which can serve only to do long term cause damage to the general public perception on recycling, the cost of living generally and the future investment by genuine waste management companies. 

There is absolutely nothing good about this set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Two billion cans and bottles bought every year. If this scheme results in even a few thousand not finishing up in the hedges near me, it will be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Do you think the fella firing cans out the car window will now go and stop off at the shop to get his 15c back? I certainly don't.

Lets get real, this is a scheme for the compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@Archeron thank you for sharing those stats, I was wondering how close the can collection rate was to glass bottle - 79% is notably high, as impressive as the glass bottles re-turn don't need to go near.

The link below says only 23% of plastic bottles are recycled. Take 23% of 1bn bottles that are sold, add 79% of 800,000 cans, and you get 63% of the 1.8bn total drinks containers in scope. (Re-turn estimate the number of said items on sale.

So the infamous 'estimated 60% recycle rate' that must be improved is a combined stat that masks the fact that cans could have been excluded just like glass was.

I come back to the point that re-turn is cherry picking the items it wants to recycle.

23% of "On THE GO" plastic bottles are recycled. I feel that figure is made up or is being guessed from the amount of plastic sent for incineration or land fill which is a choice of the waste management company, not the Irish public.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/explained/explained-what-is-the-new-deposit-return-scheme-and-how-does-it-work-1581608.html

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6746d-deposit-return-scheme/

Crazy a government publication can go out without a source to the statistics quoted - I also cant find a searchable reference to the 23% figure on the return website.

Anyone have the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@thomas 123 impossible really to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i have a question: if there's a shop a person does not like, is it better to bring back the bottles there to their RVM? or would that be doing them a favor?

The reason i ask this is because i read 2 pieces of conflicting information somewhere. 1 may be untrue im not sure

1) somewhere i recall seeing that the store makes 2.2 cent off of each return.

2) somewhere else someone said that if a store does not reach 500,000 in the first year they get given 3000€ grant for free! and then after the second year if they still have not reached that number of returns, then an additional €2000 they get from re-turn, and for the 3rd year if they still don't reach that many, then an additional 1000

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

As the cost to install and maintain an RVM is high, shops that do not make a viable return for having one in their store will be reviewed to receive some financial support to offset the purchase of the machine. Can't find the exact thing on their (terrible) website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Can I ask a question, one that has probably been answered here before.

I buy 2 ltr bottles of water in Aldi and they are Aldi specific 2 ltr bottles. Can I return them to the Supervalu machine? And if so, do I have to use the coupon in Supervalu or what is the situation with this? Or does one have to return bottles to a specific machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Once they have the ReTurn logo - they can be returned anywhere, but the refund you get from the machine needs to be spent in that store. Or redeemed in that store for cash.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well, the big day has arrived. I saw a guy at my local Dunnes putting the finishing touches (decals) on the RVMs at 9 last night. The tannoy was playing an announcement about the scheme every 5 minutes, like a subliminal message in the background while we shopped. Not a sign of deposit pricing or Re-Turn logos on the shelves, so I assume the elves will have been busy overnight.

Whether you're a supporter or objector, confused or just curious, I'm sure we can all agree that Ireland does a pretty good job of the overnight rollout (like the shift to metric speed limits, the Euro, etc).

Like the Covid restrictions, while it may feel daunting at first, I'm sure this will all become second-nature to us in a couple of weeks.

• Heading out shopping soon with Mrs Magnolia Fast Image will be interesting to see if any bottles or cans have been swapped to Re-Turn ones.

i still think this is absolutely stupid but there’s nothing can be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Putting stuff in green bins is also a scheme for the compliant. Reverse vending has a history in other countries of increasing compliance. Could that be the outcome in Ireland as well? I certainly think so.

RVM locator on the website isn't working at all for me. Bit of a **** up for day one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nor me, even panning out shows none. None loaded into the system yet.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement