Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

Another good few games it would seem in the Sigerson Cup tonight.

Not bad for a game that's supposed to be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

Hand passing itself is not the issue. Its hand passing just as tool to retain possession without attacking intent. Mayo last Sunday hand passed alot between the 45's, but much of it was dymamic to players running of the shoulder at pace into space, often followed up by kick pass or scoring opportunity. Kick passing is not the only way to play attacking football. The conundrum is how to encourage that type of play while preventing the static hand passing around the 45, which Mayo were one of the teams most guilty of last season.

Here are a couple of moments that would not have happened with no handpassing between the 45's

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was a big viewer but since the calendar changes it seems to have vanished from my radar

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How could Mayo score 2-12 if they had no intention of attacking? That is the same as Offaly (1-15) scored in 1982. In better conditions than the game on Sunday. Keeping possession of the ball leads to the creation of more scoring chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

it should be called handball rather than football

"Hand passing itself is not the issue. Its hand passing just as tool to retain possession without attacking intent."

The difference between us is probably that I don't see handpassing in any area of the field as divorced from the ultimate intention to create scoring chances. Soccer teams like Manchester City "play it round the back", and their opposition are invited to do the "press". Gaelic football has adopted that approach to some degree, to the horror of some. Especially when a player passes back to their keeper.

But to me it is a logical development, when coaches discovered that kicking the ball long into 50/50 situations led to fewer chances to get scores. If the handpass is the most effective tool to deploy in this variation of the game, so be it. The players via the GPA shot down the attempt to make them do fewer hand passes.

The difference between us is probably that I don't see handpassing in any area of the field as divorced from the ultimate intention to create scoring chances.

I never said it was. I was responding to a person who suggested restricting hand passing between the 45's and included examples of iconic goals scored following hand passes between the 45's.

What I said was hand passing as a means of retention of possession only without implementing attacking patterns is a problem in our game, and dealing with that without having unintended consequences on genuine creative play involving hand passing is a conundrum.

It can serve that purpose (retention of possession in your own third) when a team is trying to run down the clock. Good entertainment when there are two well matched teams, and four points difference with two minutes to go. But not good when it is used to get Oles from Hill 16 when Dublin are twenty points ahead with ten minutes to go. This would be a time for them to experiment with kick outs to contested positions, and high balls in round the opposition goals.

I think the looking for Oles has possibly come and gone. In soccer some twinkle toes who beats a player twice and then turns round to beat him a third time, will usually get a kick on the shins. Ole merchants run the risk of getting a broken jaw, as well as alienating the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Any fool who thinks nothing is wrong with GAA football is challenged.

Just watch the Tyrone Galway game

Galway 37 passes…….37 passes no shot at goal ball eventually blocked down.

Tyrone something similar…….,

Its terrible rubbish.

Five points to four after 30 mins!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The biggest problem is all the mugs who are still paying good money to line the pockets of the money hungry GAA.

football is dead.

until the fans stop paying to watch rubbish the GAA wont make the rule changes needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭megadodge

And yet you watched it!

You remind me of the shock-jock in America (Howard Stern) who 'outraged' conservatives. It was discovered that those who disliked him tuned in to his program for far longer than those who liked him.

Keep watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭megadodge

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Piskin

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭verizon

I still enjoy watching matches for the most part, but what really frustrated me watching Galway and Tyrone (and other games) was the amount of times a cornerback picked up the ball in a very scoreable position only to either mishandle or fluff it.

Is there just no reward for not overpacking your attack because the wrong people are now taking up space and getting on the ball in a good position?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Treble double

Ah ti's dead alright!! Supporters in Austin Stack Park 2 hours before throw in to get a good vantage point for a leauge game in February. Get the defibrillator.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Gaelic football is like watching paint dry in recent times ... it is poor and boring ... I had to give up watching it and only watch the hurling these days ... the same goes for Irish soccer too ... the spark just ain't there in either game these days ...

The soccer is just bad because the team isnt great, its not because the game is awful to watch and the goalkeepers are acting as outfield players.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Knight

Stuck on the Kerry match at the weekend. Tough tough to watch.

Every football match now is basically the same style. All players behind the ball, team in possession passing it across and around the 45 in a U shape with handpasses. In the corner, try and handpass inside to a runner. Inevitably turn back and hand pass back to the 45 and over the other side.

Only 'designated' shooters get to take a shot.

Is there anything more symbolic of the state of football with goalkeepers coming to take frees and 45s? If your goalkeeper is the best bet for scoring a 45, then there is something seriously wrong.

Any time there's a foul or sideline ball around half way, teams don't even look forward, they look towards their own goal.

Modern football has squeezed everything out of the rules. There's entertainment in imperfection.

It could be a turd polishing competition and the die hards would still turn up.

• Advertisement

Interesting that you say "here's some iconic moments that wouldn't have happened without a handpass"

What about all the iconic moments that wouldn't have happened if the game was played like today? Prime Kieran Donaghy would not get a sniff near Kerry in todays game. Gooch wouldn't get within an asses roar either.

Great to see the usuals with their heads in the sand….Lookit. …. 37 handpasses in the opponents half and after all that one shot attempt blocked down.

And they still say the hand passing isn’t a problem. Larry Donnelly was in attendance , surely he realised this is a crap offering.

Hope the next dude has a pair and puts some end to this rubbish .

The Emperors New Clothes has nothing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I like the goalies coming out the field, when it is used for attacking a "blanket" defence. It can be very effective. The thing I like about it, is that it forces sweepers to man-mark to avoid being overloaded, which allows to kick passing into the full forward line (if only we could get rid of that dreadful mark)

Derry did it to great effect against Kerry last year in the first half. Kerry like set up with Morley sitting in front of and protecting the back 3. But this left them with 12 men trying to defend against a well-organized 14 men (Clifford and McKaigue remaining up the field) and Derry cut them open easily in that first half, forcing Kerry to bring Morley out the field and to pressure Derry much higher up the field which made for a very entertaining game. Its high risk and not to everyones liking, but I think it might be worth the odd howler mistake for the benefits it brings.

We say Kerry do it a lot v Mayo over the weekend and I think we will see a lot more of it from them. Again teams would love to set up against them by double marking or playing someone in front of Clifford, but if Ryan keeps joining the attack, they will be out-numbered and leave overlaps which I'd expect Kerry to exploit much more as the year goes on - A problem they have is that unusually for them they really don't have that many good shooters outside of the Cliffords and O'Shea, which is why the likes of Tom O'Sullivan who can kick a few scores is very valuable.

Mayo when they played Dublin allowed Dublin to have a sweeper sit in front of the full back line all game long and mop up those dinked balls in which he duly did. Mayo are actually quite cautious in attack, The goalkeeper might come out a bit but he won't really join an attack, they will always have 2 or 3 in reserve which allows teams to have an extra man back in front of their full back line. They usually like to break through with pace rather than overloading with the likes of Durcan, Callinan etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No one willing to take a shot outside the 40, just looking for the handy tap overs. In the first half from what I saw. Turned it off. Missed the win, but thought it was pathetic.

And I'm used to pathetic, being a Kiladre man!

The score at around 29 mins into the first half waste think, 4 points each

Kind of says it all.

Cannot understand why those running the GAA can't see what going on.

The product is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

I wonder will Hurling and other sports benefit from the downfall of Gaelic football? Hurling is a far better watch now. maybe people will opt to play hurling rather than football.

Sorry Jumbo. meant Larry McCarthy GAA Pres.

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

No mention of the quality goals scored by Derry/Meath/Louth over the weekend eh?

Or the decent play by Armagh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Treble double

Now that football is dead according to this thread the closing stages of the All Ireland series in June and July can be played in some club grounds as there will be no spectators and no need for TV either. But wait the facts tell us that Croker will be a sell out for the the All Ireland semis and final and that the final itself gets the biggest viewership on Irish television. What is it with a certain cohorts bile for Gaelic Football that they have to run it down at every turn, it's only a ball game, a ball full of wind, don't get so bitter about it.

Advertisement