Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Enzo's gone backwards this season, was excellent after they signed him last season. That club seems to just be poisoning their players these days. Nkunku is looking good since he came in, but let's see if he can lift others up, or be pulled down to their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Your man Mudryks transfer seems dodgy at this rate, lad is sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

The Chelsea job needs time. At times they have looked really good, against Man City for example. Yes, those occasions are too rare. But they need to leave Pochettino there for at least another year and see what sort of shape he can make at it. Arsenal seem to have dodged a Mudryk shaped bullet and Liverpool seem to have dodged a Caicedo shaped one. Both may well go on to have a solid careers, but at that money? Seems mad at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mudryk's transfer worries me as an Arsenal fan, they were willing to put up similar money...

He makes Walcott look like Zidane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Enzo's main issue is, he's a classic No.8, but Chelsea's set up doesn't accommodate for that role currently. They set up in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with him and Caicedo as the base.

I think he would be excellent as 1 of the No.8's within Klopp's Liverpool system.

Mind you, in saying that, he's still no where near £107m pound player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really think he’d look a far better player at Arsenal. Chelsea are a collection of assets, any player will struggle to look good there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

At this rate?

Was dodgy as fvck at the time - €100 million going to the Eastern Bloc somewhere at a time when there was uncertainty over the Chelsea ownership and where and who was in control of the money there, and add in embargos on doing business with Russia at the time and all that.

Murkiest deal I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think you should read who they bought from and come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I have no doubt Caicedo would of been excellent at Liverpool if he had chose us, he's a victim of a scatter gun transfer policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Chelsea is such a wild situation at the moment, would have thought they'd improve as the season went on given the (on paper) talent they posses. Having said that it could have been a very different game if VAR showed at least some basic competence and award the early penalty for VVD knocking over Gallagher. Chelsea could then sit back and play on counter where they've done decently well. Regardless, Chelsea will be in big trouble financially if things don't pick up by next season.

Exactly, a hefty chunk of that money went directly into the war against Russia.

He looked class before he moved in fairness - as we saw when he played for Ukraine against Ireland too. His confidence just looks shattered. He's not the first forward to have gone through this sort of change at Chelsea either; Shevchenko, Torres, and Werner all went from pulling up trees elsewhere to looking nervous and unconvincing almost instantly - along with a fair number of this new rash of imports over the past year.

Mad that in his 1 year there he's already had 3 different managers - that can't help a young guy settle in... like, with a move like that you want to be settling into something, whereas there's just been a continuous churn in players and staff with no consistent overriding figure to pull it all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Arsenal getting gazumped for Mudryk was the best bit of business to happen for Arsenal in years, they just turned to the better and cheaper Trossard as a consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The Chelsea project was always doomed. No young player is going to turn down an 8 year contract worth 5m a year. The problem is for every 20 year old Messi or Ronaldo there are plenty of Deli Allis or Jadon Sancho’s. The latter will happily see out their contracts but does anyone think the former will actually shrug their shoulders and say I signed the contract therefore I will give my best years earning a fraction of the going rate? It’s lose lose for the club.

I hate to break it to Chelsea fans but Abramovic was a sports washing project, Boehly somehow thought he was going to make money out of this madness. The only way is down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Arsenal were signing him for same money and he picked Chelsea. Arsenal did much better in getting Trossard instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think they could have been awarded 4 penalties last night and I reckon Liverpool would have still easily won. This Chelsea team is bad, their midfield duo barely touched the ball all night, offensively they offered absolutely nothing. Palmer, Gallagher and in particular Sterling were dreadful. And don't get me started on them defensively, Silva looked like a 60 year old man trying to get to grips with Nunez, and Jota was doing as he liked.

Taking a 1-0 lead or whatever and sitting back to try and counter won't work when you are getting beat in every single department. I actually can't think of one Chelsea player that came even close to winning their duel.

Where does this leave Chelsea? Both teams played against each other on the first day of the season in a 1-1 draw. It wasn't a great spectacle as both teams were trying to bed in new players (Liverpool had a complete midfield overhaul) and it was poor enough in quality for large parts. However, Chelsea looked a lot better than Liverpool for most of the game, and in no way would I have thought that there would be 20 points between them after 21 matches.

I don't know where Chelsea goes from here. They could easily finish in the bottom half to be honest, which is crazy to think considering the investment. The teams that will finishing outside the top 5 and most likely ahead of them could be Newcastle, UTD, West Ham and Brighton (I think top 5 will be City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa), leaving them in a battle with Wolves, Fulham and maybe Bournemouth for 10th spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

As a Pool fan, I would see this as being a 50:50 game, they were much better in the FA cup match but missed tons of chances. The ref will determine part of this as Saka & Jesus go to ground very easily, if he gives soft frees then it will be a stop/start game, if he lets it flow it should be a cracker.

Still think City will win the league though if we can beat Arsenal then we have their attention.

Fixtures are a bit odd in Feb as I think after we play Arsenal then City have 5 league games in Feb whilst we have 2 more games. So even if we win our next 3 games we could still be behind City going into March if they win those 5 matches none of which look tricky for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yes, the only players off either team that go to ground easily are those 2 Arsenal players.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

All attacking players go to ground too easily, those are 2 that I see as sensing contact and almost subconsciously go down. I would have been thrilled if Arsenal had won the league last year, City are likely to win 9 titles in 10 years if Pep extends, given Klopp is gone I think that is a possibility.

Both Saka & Jesus are excellent players but I [and I might be so so wrong on this] think they would be far better off staying on their feet more as often the opportunity to score is greater than the resultant free or no free. Having said that, in the same match last season Jesus went down when Thiago touched him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

While I agree with Jesus being a bit theatrical in the box, Saka gets lumps kicked out of him on a regular basis as is one of the most fouled players.

Sure Jota while admittedly having his foot stepped on kept going and midway through stride just collapsed to make the contact more apparent (no complaints as you cant trust VAR to see things without exaggerating).

But yeah, should be a great game with neither team sitting back and hopefully the game will be decided by football and not refereeing.

Same overall potential figure, but with Chelsea a far higher chance of reaching that figure, so Shahktar’s owner accepted Chelsea’s offer and not Arsenal’s. This is what Palkin, the owner said;

“Overall, it was the same,” Palkin said regarding Arsenal and Chelsea’s respective bids for Mudryk. “Not approximately the same — it was the same figure. The fixed part, variable part, bonuses. But if you look inside the fixed part and bonuses, it was completely different,” he added.

“Different time (schedule) of the payments, different kinds of bonuses. Yes, we can talk about bonuses, but these bonuses should be somehow achievable and realistic, let’s say. Therefore, in this case, Chelsea was much more serious and fair in some points.”

He also said that Arsenal were in constant contact with Mudryk rather than Shahktar, which basically pissed Palkin off.

Really seems the whole move was much more owner driven than player driven, with pressure on the player to do what the owner wanted since the owner promised a % of the fee would go direct to the war against Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Arsenal are the most overrated team in the league. Watch their games and results back. Bar the one hammering they gave Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago they haven't been comfortable in a game since Sheffield United in October. They have been riding their luck consistently. Will be fighting for 4th place at end of season 15 points behind the league winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

As a Liverpool fan I disagree. Arsenal are the best team I have seen against us this season and I include City in that.

They won 5-0 last week, I'll have whatever you've been smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think he was referring to the 5 nil v Palace but got the dates mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

TNT pre-/post-match is the absolute pits. Turned on before the Man U match to see Rio & Joleon Lescott, last night had that bag of spanners Joe Cole.

Kalvin Phillips with a great assist for Solanke, very good signing for Bournem.......oh he joined West Ham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cole was shocking last night, haven't watched it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

That Bournemouth goal is the exact kind of thing that VAR is good for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hopefully Wolves can exact some revenge tonight for the opening day reverse fixture when they should have had a last minute penalty which would have gotten them a draw if they scored. An apology from Professional Game Match Officials Limited afterwards and dropping the match officials for the next game was of no use to Wolves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

That’s so stupid from Casemiro. There are other ways to foul him that don’t leave you on a yellow with 87 mins to play.

Rashford buzzing after his diplomatic mission to NI

Bad timing. Just turned on the match right as Rashford scored.

Hojlund hasn't scored many goals, with most of them ugly, this being probably the ugliest. He'll claim that due to it deflecting off him last as it was going over the line, but it's really an own goal. Off Kilman, off Sa, going in, and then the merest of deflections off Hojlund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Oh won't somebody please think of the deflections

Anyway it wasn't going in until Hojlund got his touch but keep going I'm sure you'll find something else to bemoan while "not watching the match"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ah that’s never a penalty

lol, refs are a farce. guess its karma for the first game of the season

VAR looked for absolutely anything to cancel that penalty for Wolves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

You certainly have an interesting take on United related matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

People need to just stop feeding this guy Sligeach. He the biggest wum in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I think he actually believes he is rational when it comes to United!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Justice for United there.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Paul Tierney didn't give either penalty against VVD last night. He's on VAR here and thinks that's a penalty hahaha. Glad he didn't give either last night. But the state of that refereeing. All people want is consistency. Forget nonsense of clubs writing to them. He should be stood down for few weeks.

• Advertisement

McTominay knew nothing of that goal, it hit his head and went in. He was there, I guess, but he wasn't expecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Anyway of not seeing the quoted text of people you have set on ignore?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

The fact that he's allowed to continue on with his games because he never quite crosses the line says as much about the forum as it does him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah that's not a penalty. Joke of a decision to give it.

The bar for penalties around the 2020 - 2023 was incredibly low, and infuriating. There does seem to have been a bit of correction on that in the last year and raided the bar a bit, but that Neto dive has just put it lower again now. Which is bad.

Or maybe it's referees correcting their mistakes against Wolves earlier in the season. Which is also bad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement