Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Credit Unknown Charge

• 01-02-2024 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A few months ago I noticed on my credit card that 20 quid was being taken out at the end of each month or start of next month.

Always with a 5 character Alphanumeric prefix followed by Sports e.g.

D98D5 Sports

D4F80 Sports

I contacted AIB and got credit card replaced and they refunded these transactions, however they are still going on every month.

Anyone encounter anything similar?

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Looks like you have either signed up to some subscription or other... Query the transaction with AIB and ask for additional details and confirmation of your accepting the charges. Search your email accounts for the payment reference as some companies sent a mail telling you how the charge will be described on your card. Check back further for a similar amount with a different description, it is possible that one of your valid subscriptions changed charging service. Do you have a paypal account attached to the card, if so check what subscriptions have been set up on it.

I'm not sure if this will work, without knowing the vendor, but see if you can instruct AIB not to accept these charges going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Thanks for the response. I don't have paypal on the account

I rang AIB a few months ago and they promised to look into it and send me a new card.

A week or two later, I saw refunds of each transaction in my account with the reference of "Refund Re Fraud".

However, the transactions have continued.

I am almost 100% certain that they are not related to any subscription and I have not signed up to anything since changing the card.

Is it odd that a company would use a different reference every time e.g. the 5 character alphanumeric reference followed by "Sports"? I have never seen anything like that.

Could a local restaurant or shop or something like that be compromised where I would use my card?

I will ring them again today, but I presume the same thing will happen again and its a bit of a pain to have to change the card again especially if it is not stopping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Sounds like a continuous payment authority/recurring card payment, get the bank to stop/cancel it. Its the credit card version of a direct debit

Well all you can do is follow it up again and be sure to point out that the exact same thing is happening once again. If it is a subscription, then as we have seen here in the past changing the card does not seem to make much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it looks like a NOW TV subscription for a Sports package. Logon on their website and click 'Bills and Payments'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

Agree with Coyle, it's likely now tv. My cinema sub looks like this "D7CFA Cinema"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Shite. You are absolutely spot on. I signed up intending just for one month for something in September. I feel kinda stupid now

Thanks very much to all who responded. I had no idea replacing a card would not terminate a subscription and also that references like that would be used for a subscription. I guess I probably owe AIB 60 quid now for the 3 refunds previously - although I have to say I am flabbergasted that they couldn't tell me that this was a Sky Subscription.

Thanks again all.

I'm sure they could dig down enough to find out exactly what the transaction was, but the reality is that is cheaper to just refund you the money. Way back when I was starting out I worked for one of the well known Japanese electronics firms and we had monitors that we knew had a defect that we could not fix, so we figured out the cheapest solution was to send anyone who complained a new monitor regardless of how old their old monitor was. Businesses make these kind of commercial decision all the time.

I'll close this now to save any further embarrassment ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement