Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

So is the deposit being charged on all drinks regardless of whether they can be returned or not? If not, that's at least how Tesco seem to be doing it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

No, exceptions have been made for the transition period for barcodes used in multiple markets, so that might be what you're seeing. It might be the case that a registered barcode will have a deposit charged and you will get it back, even in the absence of the Re-Turn logo on the can.

Assuming the POS system in the store is up to date, any barcode scanned that charges a deposit will be accepted for return by a reverse vending machine.

It's an odd one, maybe specific to this product but the bottles (being part of a multipack) don't even have barcodes on them, only the outer wrapper did

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah ok, interesting. I was of the understanding that multipacks where the un-barcoded items inside a barcoded box were exempt for the transition period. If there is no barcode on the individual items then you can't return. You should query this with the retailer and also send a message to Re-Turn, if you can be arsed!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,646 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

Majority of people(Me included) will not bother retaining cans in pristine condition in their house, the beauty of cans is they can be crushed and easily disposed of in the recycling bin, for a lot of people this is simply another tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's an international barcode - 5022313332406 - which is on the list. It'll give a refund.

That list is here - https://re-turn.wetransfer.com/downloads/40e9021a30b2bb9c38044b01b07b348720240111163455/6a1d0e

The link was given out publicly on the RGDATA website so I'm presuming we're all allowed have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,646 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What does that mean? So you can still return them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Absolute disgrace that this has been forced onto an unwilling public with zero consultation and no attempt to integrate with existing recycling system. Suck it up folks and wait in the long grass till the local elections.

Yes.

Producers/importers can pay a higher fee and use the same barcode as they use internationally; these may not have the logo on them in the interim.

Basically outside of the main soft drinks, Irish supermarket own brand products and most beer a lot of stuff will be in that category.

You can definitely return that

• Advertisement

Except for the actual public consultation. And the local elections have no impact on Government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I very much doubt that a majority will start throwing away money.

A can of 4.3% beer currently sells for €1.69 at minimum price.

11 cans returned will yield €1.65.

Most beer drinkers I know would rather have a can of beer than throw the price of it away in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Exactly but it'll give them a severe kick in the goolies and cause a rethink..

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I was in town yesterday and I saw in Dunnes they had one inside their shop which is also located within a shopping centre.

Surely if this scheme is going to work these machines should be accessible 24/7 and not within shops opening hours.

No, it won't. Because there would be absolutely no way of making any connection between those results and this

The reality is that other than a few Very Angry Men nobody is going to care by the time of the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Beep boop boop, beep! Oh it's so obvious now how stupid of the man not to recognise that 13 digit code and consult his copy of eligible barcodes available at that intuitive and easy to type URL.

Simple and convenient for everyone 😅

/sarcasm, which is directed at the scheme, not any posters here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My local Dunnes and Lidl have then outdoors. Other smaller shops locally have them indoors. I haven't see where they are at my local Tesco and Aldi. Dunnes in Shannon has them indoors. So I guess there's a mix, but you may need to travel/hunt for one that's accessible 24 hours.

He should have actually tried to get the return before going online to complain about not getting it; considering he actually will get it.

The "there might be stock that works with no logo" bit hasn't been explained anywhere; though.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

So you could buy one up north with no deposit and make money?

And in all fairness. the Re-Turn website repeatedly and consistently claim that the logo is required to both be charged the deposit and to redeem it. This is only a quick selection from the home page:

• Advertisement

Is there a limit on the refund/voucher amount for one transaction? Doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere

Nope. You can feed the machine until it bursts, I guess. Someone mentioned on one of the threads that the machines can accept, scan and process containers quicker that a human can physically insert them. But they obviously have a storage limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yup. Fair enough if it was eligible for a refund but they didn't charge a deposit like it's claimed is what happened with the can of Kinnegar (might have been a different thread) but here it is in black and white on the receipt. Maybe this guy isn't out of pocket if he goes against the official advice and tries to return the bottle, but blunders like this are going to knock confidence in the scheme.

Yeah the storage thing immediately popped into my head. I kinda assume most people will be bringing a bag of bottles/cans per visit and the machines don't exactly seem huge

If it has a barcode that's on the list, yeah. Their financial plan accounts for this happening a bit, products with international barcodes have higher fees for the producer/importer than stuff with domestic codes.

This happens in border areas of every other scheme - I didn't know which of the various bottles dumped in the footwell of my hire car in Oregon I'd bought in Washington, but they all got taken back cause they all had the same barcode.

You'd need to actually want and use the product cause even 25c for a big bottle isn't going to make money on anything - Asda's 2L soft drinks are 49p now. I remember when they were about 20p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i would disagree about the euro, it was sudden chaos. i still remember the exchange rate at the time drummed into my head even to this day (£1 is €1.27 or some places say €1.26). Yet alot of the shops was taking advantage and charging €2 instead. And then the change given was in their favor too! to get this new funny money, one had to spend irish money and then would recieve euro money as change. i'm sure the banks were most likely offering a direct swappage but it was'nt advertised as such anywhere, and alot of people were told to go to the shop and buy something, or somthing. Alot of people took the bait as the new money was a form of novelty at the time, and overlooked being ripped off. i think there's even an article on the wiki about it, or a part that mentioned about bsinuesses taking advantage. Businuesses had no excuse regarding the rates as euro money had already existed in ireland since the 90s, via banks, just not in physical form, until the roll-out. Everyone was loosing their sheet.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Some of them are ATM sized (so quite small), some of them are very big. It's up to the shop to empty them, I guess they'll each have to figure out how regularly they'll need to do that (and the machine does crush them, so they'll take up less space in the machine than in your bag).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not really, the machine gives a coupon which you need to redeem in store. Most people will be bringing the items back before doing going into the store.

If the store was closed... but you bought a can or bottle somewhere else in the shopping centre \ nearby cinema or something, then yes you would probably prefer to redeem there than keep hold of the item.

I read the machines have an option to donate to charity so someone might roll up with a load for that purpose outside shopping hours e.g. that they got from home deliveries, or collected from others, or picked up as garbage cleanup.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

i have alot of cans with barcodes that currently match what the store is currently selling, seems odd. Are you saying that my cans would give me back a deposit? This seems like a hiccup if true, or else re-turn was bluffing when saying only return logo cans accepted, in hopes that no one would still have alot of cans to redeem day 1.

i may have hit the jackpot! :O

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

they could have been bluffing all along, i pointed this out much earlier in the thread like 40 pages or so back and was called a liar and a conspircy theorist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement