Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fire proofing for attic conversion

Options
  • 01-02-2024 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I’m thinking about getting an attic converted on a house on the outscirts cork city . I’m aware that there’s a very high fire proofing standard needed as per regulations. I got the house renovated about 5 years ago and my builder says i’d need to fireproof the upstairs bedrooms under the roof as well . is this the case . I though i’d get away with fireproffing everything in the attic including doors floors and so on . Sorry if I sound clueless but you got to start from somewhere . thanks, Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Ahh my builder also said that it’s because the house is a rental that the regulations are more stringent . Does anyone know what i’d have to do to the downstairs bedrooms . two of the bedrooms are very small so insulatiing the walls is more a question of space rather than expense.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so you'll be creating a 3 storey house?

i suppose so , ground floor has an open plan kitchen, sepearte living room and two bedrooms, 4 beds upstairs, 2 of which are very small (don’t have the exact measurements) and i’d be hoping to conver the attic . this is a rental . i’m told this means it’s a different level of standards and requirements on attic conversion. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Knowing nothing about the house, at a minimum the main thing people don't realise they need to do when they convert the attic of a two-storey house (thereby making it three-storey) is that the entire Hallway/Stairwell down to ground level needs to be appropriately fire rated, which means all your walls may need extra layers of plasterboard (which could end up putting you under minimum widths of corridors depending if they're already at the minimum requirements), and all doors would have to be fire doors with self-closers, intumescent strips etc.

If you're renting the property out and you're not sure what the regulations you need to comply with are, you need an experienced professional, not just the builder. You're into the Housing Standards Regulations for rented houses at that stage, not just Building Regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

7b Ensure the existing first floor is of “modified 30 minute fire resisting standard” or better

I had a read though the regulations and this seems to be the one that stoof out for me . So i’d basically have to fireproff the whole of the first floor ?, so basically floors and walls . That really puts the skids on things.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is your existing first floor ceiling 12.5mm plasterboard with skim finish?

i'm guessing but i’d say so and you’re not telling me why because i’m sure it’s not enough or the right material . i can find out more

thanks , i reread the brochure again . i had interpretated it incorrectly, i’d have to fireproof the second floor ceiling (doable) and all of the stairs which is narrow enough and also fireproof two exit doors (doable) . Like u indicated it’s makes the attic conversion project into something costly and time consuming.

I should get somebody to look at it. Somone who know’s the regulations and who’s been involved in a good few attic conversions . Attic conversion company or Architect for a viewing/consult ? i’d nearly say very experienced attic converter professional

• Advertisement

"Where the attic is converted in an existing two storey dwelling, the provisions relating

to a three storey dwelling should be adhered to. However, TGD B makes special

provisions for loft conversions in an existing two-storey dwelling, where the

conversion provides not more than two habitable rooms and the additional

accommodation is less than 50m2. The special provisions, outlined in the following

paragraphs, relate to the means of enclosing the stairs to the new storey and

upgrading of the protection to the existing stairway.

The existing stairs and the new stairs should be enclosed in 30 minute fire resisting

wall construction. The doors to habitable rooms from the stairway should be fire

resisting doors of not less than 20 minutes (E20 / FD 20). Information on fire doors in

dwelling houses can be found in Appendix B to TGD B, 2017

Existing stud partitions with 12.5mm standard plasterboard will satisfy the 30 minute

fire resisting construction requirement subject to penetrations (sockets, lights, etc.)

being fire stopped and any glazing in the existing stairway enclosure, excluding

glazing in the external wall, should be fixed shut and be fire-resisting (See Diagram

1, Point 6).

Where fire door leafs, rather than fire doorsets, are being fitted in existing

construction, self-closers and intumescent strips should be fitted to the existing door

frames.

"

I think there might be 12.5mm plasterboard over a lot of the house . i’ll have to check . this might make the stairs and current second floor a good way in fire safety compliance but we’ll see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The first floor might already meet that requirement.

The larger issue may be the ceiling of the first floor should also be rated (I believe, please check first)

I remember when I bought my house the builder pointed out the double layer of plasterboard on the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just to reinforce what the guys are saying above (which is correct). The rental aspect may add additional requirements, but the fire rating of the landing, stairs, hallway is required in all cases. People ignore it a lot.

a pic of the stairs and one of the smaller rooms , external walls have kingspan insulation plasterboard . i don’t know what the ceiling have but the house was completly renovated about 5 years ago

Advertisement