Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,604 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Probably he had no involvement in the murder, but if we imagine he was involved then:

It was a pretty safe call for Daniel to make when he made it, given he'd have a decent idea at that stage they had no leads to him and iirc Sophie's family were calling for the same thing... might seem out of step to not do so.

I don't think the French authorities had any interest in anything that pointed back towards France full stop, more than just Daniel's influence (or his family after his death). This was a mess in Ireland and the Irish authorities were at fault for not trying someone for it and they and their proxies said so officially and unofficially. It would be pretty embarrassing for France (and for Ireland but less so) if after all of that it turned out there was a French connection to the murder, which French authorities had failed to investigate originally.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What "off-roading" would be necessary? Let's assume Bailey is the killer. He could have walked or driven the route from his then abode to Sophie's, gone to Kealfadda Bridge to wash his bloody hands and clothing and be back in his own bed in as little as three hours or so.

Was Sophie getting near to seriously interfering with drug trading. Don’t forget Daniel bought the house for her even though he never spent time in it. Goodness knows if he had links and connections with such trading but never seen at the coal face of the action.

He could have walked the route with that detour in entirely the wrong direction? How long is this 3am jaunt taking now? 3 hours?

Zero forensics found indicating anything in the car, no reports from the multiple members of the household of the car having anything out of the ordinary - and yes a man getting in with wet clothes would. Zero reports indicating that when the car was checked, it shows signs of recent deep cleaning.

This is just starting from an assumption, Bailey is the killer, and fitting debateable (in fact withdrawn) evidence around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

In a matter of hours Bailey went from being a black out drunk poet willing to walk miles at freezing 2am looking for a sexual encounter to then a crazed killer committing a frenzied and messy murder, then carefully covered his tracks, removing all his traces from the scene and any blood from his person or clothing at a nearby river and was present at 11am to make coffee for Jules and she claims he was acting normally. He spent the following day investigating the crime meeting with reporters and photographers.

If this is all plausible then all bets are off when it comes to alternative theories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What call are you referring to? The call to hire a hitman?

He couldn't have known beforehand that the investigation would be a mess and that the French state would not be interested in the murder of a French citizen, unless you stray into conspiracy theory and think he had some leverage.

If you're going to hire a hitman, you want to make sure as best as you can that it's not going to come back to you. You can't plan it and hope that the investigation falls apart.

Again, the theory that the French state would convict an innocent man just to save embarrassment is, in the 21st century, quite absurd and I don't see how it could be done. The reason Bailey isn't in prison in France is because of a technicality on extradition, not because his conviction was quashed.

There are simply too many holes in the hitman theory that can only be explained by unparalleled incompetence and/or conspiracy as to make it plausible.

And again, the hitman theory was originally promoted by a suspect. It is perfectly reasonable to think that he was doing so as a sort of forerunner to fake news and undermining the Guards' competence in the public eye and playing into the 'framed' narrative.

And the next day, scratches were noticed but not the fact that he looked like he hadn't slept and had been up half the night doing all those things...

No the call to reopen the case.

I think it would be a pretty safe assumption that an investigation in Ireland in 1996 would not have the resources of an investigation in France, and that it would be hindered by cross border issues.

Prisons and crime stories have many examples of people who hired hit men who turned out not to be the best. It's not like choosing what expensive vehicle to buy.

Miscarriages of justice happen all the time, in France too:

In 2001, 45-year-old Marie-Agnès Bedot was murdered by stabbing. Nineteen-year-old Marc Machin was convicted of the murder based on circumstantial evidence and a forced confession. In 2008 David Sagno, a homeless man, admitted murdering Bedot and the police found Sagno's DNA on Bedot's clothes. Machin's conviction was quashed and he was cleared in 2012.

Can you show me evidence of French authorities seriously investigating a French angle to this murder?

There are more reasons than that as to why Bailey isn't in prison, I thought there was considerable doubt as to the fundamental legality of the basis for France attempting to extradite someone from here for a crime committed here. It wasn't some mere technicality that the paperwork wasn't in order.

Mr Justice Paul Burns said that, for an extradition to be allowed under the European Arrest Warrant Act 2003, there had to be reciprocity between Ireland and the country seeking the extradition.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Sorry where is the link to the story that he returned to make coffee for Jules at 8am?

In his own statement, I believe he said he returned to the house at 11am.

• Advertisement

Yes Bailey advanced the hitman theory as a way to muddy the waters.

His long running black humour which continued right up to his death was also designed to confuse people.

Its amazing how many people bought into Bailey's rubbish.

In the DPP report it seems to accept the below (I think it is based on a statement from Jules)

Has breakfast with Jules Thomas at 9.00 a.m

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭redoctober

The hitman angle is unlikely in my view. Surely they would be tracking her movements. They could have followed her to Three Castle Head and bumped her off there no? Very isolated place. You'd imagine there would be lots of places a body could disappear along an isolated coast.

Another factor re recollection by people with alcoholism I didn’t mention. Quite apart from alcoholics suffering quite frequent blackouts, there is another phenomenon quite common in the illness. Wernicke Korsakoff Syndrome is caused by failure to absorb Thiamin (Vitamin B1) and is a fairly common phenomenon to some extent in alcoholics who pay especially little attention to diet. As most of us know, alcohol affects our digestive systems, and if this is happening all the time the gut loses its ability temporarily to absorb thiamin. Lack of thiamin affects the brain, can cause a clumsy gait long term due to shrinkage of part of cerebellum.

It also causes various memory issues, particularly short term, when either completely sober or drunk, and this might be permanent if not treated in time, and also affects the personality. I know a couple of people who were affected, one ended up in nursing home care from his 40s.

It is possible that Ian had a shortfall of thiamin that likely affected his personality and memory to some extent.

It could account for some of Ian’s noted attributes.

OK great. So that's an additional 3 hours and in total from 2.30 to 11am that is unaccounted for.

The sexual encounter is a garda theory. His motives were ultimately not clear. He was known for walking the roads at night. One of my own theories is he went to studio, started on the article, suffered writers block and went for a walk to clear the head. 4 kms is nothing for a walk, I wouldnt even consider it a stroll.

Middle of the night wouldn't be usual for most people, Ian Bailey was not usual. People keep overlooking that.

Went to the river to clean himself up? Presume that's a reference to discredited Farrell's sighting?

As for the rest, he battered and almost killed Jules back in May, refused her treatment and in his own words attacked her again when she came home. All initially under the influence of whiskey.

The man was a complete psychopath and as one it was perfectly possible for him to kill someone and appear perfectly normal the next day.

As for changing of clothes, of course he was going to change his clothes and wash up at home. Whats your point here, that he was going to walk around in bloody clothes the following day?

As for his partner making statements, she has changed her statements numerous times on what happened, that is a fact.

I thought Bailey himself said 11am?

I think we can both agree Jules was not the most consistent in her statements when it came to the murder. A bit unreliable in some regards, but at least she was able to help uncover that Baileys original alibi was false and ultimately brought into question his credibility.

At the moment I will stick to what is in the DPP report (i.e. 9am) unless you have something more solid. Jules was not the most consistent, well we have Guards on record discussing altering her witness statements, and some of her witness statements lost, and then the corresponding log entry deliberately removed... so that could explain some inconsistencies.

Well look anything’s possible when we have no witnesses or evidence. The point I’m making here is that the theoretical motive is far from compelling and the lack of any evidence or credible witnesses means that any competent jury would find it impossible to be moved beyond a reasonable doubt that Bailey was the killer. The DPP were correct.

I knew I read this somewhere, but I came across it again in the DPP report.

Bailey willingly gave his fingerprints and a sample of his blood to the Gardaí for analysis and examination. These specimens were given at a time when he was aware that apparent bloodstains had been found at the scene. He had been a crime reporter in England and was aware of the nature of forensic evidence.

The complete lack of forensic evidence at the scene, and especially the washing of glasses would potentially point to someone forensically aware. And the DPP confirmed Bailey was forensically aware.

In the DPP file, it was the garda contention that the scratches on Bailey came from the briars, not SDP.

Bailey could quite confidently offer a blood sample knowing that his blood could be found nowhere at the scene.

The fingerprints would be quite easily dealt with by someone with forensic knowledge, eg washing of wine glasses.

And he would have known that it is impossible to get fingerprints from a rock or a block.

Ah but misleading to quote the DPP report and leave out this part

If Bailey had murdered Sophie, he would have known that there was a definite possibility of forensic evidence such as blood, fibres, hair or skin tissue being discovered at the scene. His voluntary provision of fingerprints and a specimen of his blood is objectively indicative of innocence.

Bailey would had no way of knowing what forensics were there or not, what mind have been left on the body or briars or whatever, It was dark, how was he supposed to know he was 'clean'?

Also, supposedly he went there on a drunken violent impulse, or half cut looking for a fling, but now he is forensically aware at the time of the murder?

It doesn't add up and never had in relation to Bailey.

• Advertisement

I’ve a fairly open mind to all of it, and no way could Ian be convicted on the evidence or lack of it. I’m a bit more inclined to think there is a French connection here. I don’t think they would involve Ian either in part of it as he was notably unreliable, a loose canon.

Why was there blood on the door if Bailey had gone back and meticulously covered his tracks? Cleaning wine glasses etc. he would have had to clean the floor of his footprints surely also? The house was subjected to a detailed analysis.

I think a jury would find it hard to believe that he did all this whilst being black out drunk on whiskey and moments after committing an insanely violent and messy murder.

Bailey went from acting like a romantic bohemian to a psychopathic brutal murderer and then a meticulous crime scene expert and cleaner in the matter of what, 10 mins? And all while being hammered on whiskey?

I’m not sure you’d find a jury who would buy that.

The scratches are open to contention. If they were briar scratches they were unlikely to be that deep and very very unlikely to open a deep wound with blood pouring out. He would have been confident enough on that one. The nick on the head is also open to contention. I believe you yourself said multiple witnesses did not notice any nick on his head while he was at the crime scene.

I've already accounted for the fingerprints.

The only hair found at the scene that I know of was Sophies. He would have known that himself, obvious she didn't pull his hair.

Did he provide any skin sample and was any sample found at the scene?

And while we are on the subject were any blood, fibres, hair or skin samples of anyone been found at the scene, or in the house that would indicate a third party?

Or was there on the otherhand the possibility of a basic effort at a forensic clean up? Washed glasses perhaps?

You keep mentioning the violent impulse. That is a garda contention. Its not mine. I'm open minded on his motives. This is not a murder she wrote episode. Motives in real life aren't always nicely framed and explainable. And especially when it relates to a known psychopath capable of turning into a monster in a flash as happened when he attacked his partner. There was no apparent sexual motive in that attack by the way!

@tobefrank321

The man was a complete psychopath and as one it was perfectly possible for him to kill someone and appear perfectly normal the next day.

How was he a psychopath? I don’t see any indication that he was. Highly narcissistic sure.

I think even the French trial heard evidence from two experts who concluded that they didn’t believe he was psychopathic.

Footprints? You think he left on his shoes and walked around the house after being outside? Unlikely.

Entirely possible he missed the blood on the door which by the way was Sophies, not his. But he would have known this already.

Regards subject to a detailed analysis, it was. Did they find any evidence to point to anyone?

There it is, crime solved, motives identified. Thanks Lee.

I'm not going to bother, you've already demonstrated a lack of knowledge about this case, such as the attack on his partner when he almost in his own words killed her, denied her medical attention and attacked her again when she came out of hospital.

Not a psychopath? sure.

All under the influence of whiskey by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

@odyssey06: Sorry, my explanation was reductive; it wasn't a technicality. What I was getting at is this: what kept him out of jail is not an appeal against the French conviction but an appeal against the extradition process and its legality.

Similarly, Bailey lost cases against libel and wrongful arrest. Right now, I can't remember the exact details (at work, on phone) but evidently, his complaints about undue or unfair treatment didn't stand up in a court of law.

Re your last post, you are now putting some meat on the bones of wrongful conviction. Though I can't find any info in English on that particular case, you have at least established a precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

That points to him having a wild temper and anger issues, not being a psychopath.

I don’t actually think you’re capable of outlining why Bailey was a psychopath so you’ve reverted to “I’m not going to bother”.

Bailey has talked about his “eternal shame” at what he did to Thomas. A psychopath would not feel shame about what he did and would not even understand or realise that they ought to feel shame.

Advertisement