Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobility - Best/ "prestigious" Civil Service Dept.

• 27-01-2024 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone,

I am an AP level civil servant who is going to apply for mobility soon (I might leave the CS after trying another Dept.).

I have been in my current Department for over 2 years and feeling quite bored and unfulfilled. However, from speaking to others across other government departments they are not facing the same issues as they have a deep interest in the work of their Department (which I really don't in my current role - or in my current Department generally tbh).

I am still single and young(ish) and would love your views on which Departments are considered the most interesting or prestigious (work/life balance is less an issue for me right now). Obviously D/Taoiseach are a small but v influential Department where a lot of decisions are ultimately made.

D/Finance and D/Per are also on the higher scale and work on a variety of v. Important and interesting budgetary and reform issues.

Foreign Affairs is another , working with other countries bilaterally/multilaterally on v interesting themes and global issues.

So my v basic question is what departments from the outside you would consider the most prestigious on paper, with the most opportunities to do really interesting work (with an eye to future employment in private sector)?

I am well aware of the limitations of my question (dependant on interest/role/team etc) but this is just one of a wide number of considerations! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭floorpie

I'm sorry to be snarky but it troubles me that you're an AP. My impression is that you haven't internalised the ethos of the Civil Service even superficially, and my advice is to just leave for the private sector now because nowhere is likely to fit the bill.

If you want "prestige on paper" then focus on doing a good job. All APs have massive impact if they're competent in their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

It is such a lottery, that landing in the right place, at the right time is a crap shoot.

I have worked on high profile work and can say that a lot of my time was spent briefing, writing lines to take, press releases, parliamentary/leaders questions, engagement with the political system and stakeholder meetings. Paradoxically, because it was challenging/high profile work, I found you spend a significant amount of time firefighting and doing democratic process work.

The central Departments can also sometimes have more of a co-ordination role, rather then working directly on something.

Depends on what you want. Line departments can be more hands on and you can expect more staff management (typically). Central Departments can be very policy based.

In the private sector, I am not sure if prestigious comes into it when it comes to the Civil Service. A lot of people aren't aware of what the CS does on a day to day, never mind differences between Departments.

Revenue and Finance come to mind as perhaps most relevant, as you may be eligible to avail of educational opportunities in tax/finance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes, if you're prepared to study and get a tax qualification, go to Revenue for five years and then move out as a tax consultant. You might have to repay some of the academic fees on your way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I've spent 17 years in the Department of Justice in various agencies and not once have I found the work dull. Maybe look there? There are plenty of opportunities. Although the fact that you are looking for prestige makes me think the Civil Service probably isn't for you? So you might be better off in the private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

As has been said, a lot of the work on the policy side is pretty much the same regardless of which department you’re in - briefing material, PQs, etc. It’s good of course to have an interest in the policy subject itself but as has also been said, there’s limited ability to choose your assignment.

I think you need to consider what interests you on a personal level and try to move to a department that offers some opportunity to advance policy in whatever area it is. What other people might regard as prestigious won’t sustain you over a full career.

I suspect however that it’s the structure of the CS that’s really demotivating you. I’d agree that you should consider an escape plan, drawing on the extensive training that you can avail of for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 parisee88

surely the big beasts are dept of taoiseach, finance and dper as all of their staff are on higher scales than regular public servants? After that all the other govt depts, then agencies and quangoes

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

Not necessarily, the automatic higher scales for AP and above at those Departments does not in my opinion reflect that the work is more challenging or substantial in some way. I say that as someone who has worked in a central department and in line departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 parisee88

Of course, it’s just a perception that it is more prestigious because of the higher pay. I thought all grades in those dept got paid more, not just AP. Sorry to derail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think it's more to do with extra responsibility which is a myth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement