Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

0.787564 or 1.26974 depending on which way you were converting or calculating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This seems very strange because there were rules that were brought in which specifically didn't allow it happen like you claim. I was working with retail software at the time and I remember people making this claim and I was looking at the price files which proved they were not true. The rounding up or down was determined by the 3 digit after the decimal point. So I am calling your claims BS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes 1.26974 i wrote it wrong but thats the thingy i meant

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

more utter rubbish.

I was in retail then, Tills were programmed. There were no outcries - not even the sunday world could find issues - and that saying something.

It was unbelievably smooth for such a dramatic and seismic change and even then you had the snowflakes of the day saying "what about the elderly" not realising that they had done similar in the change to decimal from the old shillings and pence

exactly my point! there should have been nothing like this happening, but it still did anyway. No price commisioner also does'nt help.

The software existed for this in the 90s, or some digital equivelnt of the currency, so there was no reason for any of this. it was clearly a case of stores and shop owners taking advantage of the situation and knowing better, it clearly was'nt an accident. and no my claims are not BS. Pound shop is a PROOF example!

£1 = €2 in their eyes ever since lol! can't argue with that. if you can then you agree with me and i'm right

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The claim at the time of the Euro was that shops were using it to hide price increases. There was absolutely nothing about inaccurate change.

The reality of it is that there had been dual pricing for three full years so everyone could verify the Euro prices; and inflation figures did not change - there simply was no price gouging going on; but there was general inflation at the time - people ascribed that to the changeover, inaccurately.

if its rubbish then explain how the pound shops then, changing from £1 = €2 ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, there were no doubt some isolated incidents, but by and large that transition went incredibly smoothly. There are some contemporaneous reports of some items being overcharged by a few cent, but actual investigations nearly always showed that price gouging wasn't the cause. It happened at a time of general inflation, so prices had been going up for months, but some people only tuned into it when the currency changed. Also pub-workers got a pay-rise on January 1st, and the pubs put up prices to account for that. There was certainly no wholesale scams to sell £1 products for €2. That's a clear exaggeration from that poster.

There's always going to be teething problems, but by and large, the Deposit Return Scheme will have become a normal facet of life by the summer. Of course, in 20 years time, there will be some future posters on whatever versions of Boards is on the Metaverse posting about how people lost their whole life savings to illegitimate deposits, and RVMs that attacked children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It didn't happen is what I am saying. There were checks and balances preventing it but people did then claim it happened when it didn't. You didn't see it because it didn't happen. People made the claim against clients and we had all the proof which we showed to the authorities when queries came in. There were hefty fines so nobody did it.Any member of the public could report a store and AFAIK very few cases were proven but certainly none against my client

Ah will you stop!

Pound shops never sold everything for £1. And "€2 shops" never sold everything for €2. They're descriptions, not contracts.

• Advertisement

funny how the toys and things with the £1 pound sticker on it, suddenly changed to €2 in price overnight then. Minimum price has since been €2 euro, despite previously being £1 ever since the day before that. There's no talking around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

It's engrained in my memory from those fun times !

same! i still remember the day i got my first euro coin. i even remember years leading up to it there was rubber/erasers with the euro coins on them so we got to see what they look like sometime before actually getting them.

i miss the old irish money for nostalgias sake, its funny whenever i see the old money i laugh idk why. i love the old irish money. if it wasnt so expensive i would by some for nostalgias sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

You do know that it is 24 years since the change and inflation will have made its mark on prices AND wages. Back in 2000 the minimum wage was €5.60, it is now €12.70.

There were no issues. Most discount shops went to €1.25 for items previously £1.

Pound city / apollo changed to Euro2 and had everything €2 or less with price points €1, 1.25, 1.50 1.75 & 2.00.

Even today many items are still €1.50, though I believe Dealz have moved to €1.75 for a lot of previously 1.50 items.

So like almost all of your post on the subject you are shown to be entirely wrong and mis-informed.

funny how the toys and things with the £1 pound sticker on it, suddenly changed to €2 in price overnight then. 

That didn't happen. You're spoofing. Again.

And the minimum price in a Pound shop was never a pound. They sold things for less, and pound shops in the UK still sell for less (and more) than a pound.

And current "2 Euro shops" like Eurogiant sell things for less than €2:

and more than €2

Like any complicated changeover, the Deposit Return Scheme will have its hiccups. But we as a nation have a solid history of large-scale, systematic changeovers. We plan for and handle them well.

No, i specifically remember people being taken advantage of, not just the pound shop example, even local corner shops was notorious for it.

football preimer league football stickers was 30pence to 45 pence. on the week leading up they became 50 pence. As soon as euro came in the shop was charging €1 per pack, it was'nt until people stopped buying them, did the store reduce the price to 75 cent, and then 55 cent the true price they should have been all along after the change.

"Some businesses did take advantage of the currency exchange to raise prices"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Dealz is €1.50. A slight increase from €1.27.

deals is actually €2 at the moment or 2.50, not that it matters anyway. they started off claiming 1.49 when they first opened up in ireland. but they didnt open up around the time of the euro change. so idk why its even being mentioned here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Because you said pound shops all switched to €2. Its a while since I was in a Dealz, but it was €1.50 upto 2020.

Yes exactly! indeed! "Some businesses did take advantage of the currency exchange to raise prices."

i don't mean about duel pricing (which still exists in some places where it displays uk pound and euro price)

i'm speaking more in regards to some shops taking advantage of the euro changeover to mask/hide price increases.

• Advertisement

yes, and i miss the €1.50 price. dealz came to ireland way after the euro, like 2008 or 2010 or something i have no idea exactly when. i was at the opening ceremony when they cut the ribbon. But that was a uk store/franchise chain setting up shop in ireland so its prices was more likely based off of the uk's exchange rate at the time, which was a fair conversion (or more fair than irish punt/pound to euro atleast). Deals are coming from the poundland franchize in uk. Not the same poundshop that ireland had. Different color branding different products and some simularities only.

i miss dealz prices of 3 cans for 1.50, or 1.50 on bottles. (sometimes 2 bottles for 1.50 if lucky.) now a days their prices have gone up insanely. 2 cans for 1.50 or for 2 euro. all bottles 2 each or 2 for 2.50.

not spoofing at all, and your examples are modern day uptodate prices, not those from when the changeover happened "Unfamiliarity can lead to situations where companies try to take advantage of the euro cash changeover by raising prices. We have had this debate in many countries, and it remains a challenge for public authorities and consumers to scrutinise price-setting behaviour closely and act against obvious attempts to take advantage of the situation" https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/key/date/2007/html/sp071126.en.html

we have no price commissioners in ireland "In general, there are no price controls in Ireland. This means that, in most cases, there is no minimum or maximum price for goods or services. This is to allow for competition among businesses.

A shop is not breaking the law by charging more than their competitors. If you feel that you are not getting good value, then you should shop around for a better price."

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/pricing/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clicking around the (incomplete - still missing a pile of Supervalus that definitely have machines; if not more) map shows some places that you might forget are actually large enough to be required to do returns - full size M&S, the biggest Polonez stores, some Mr Price outlets, some Dealz outlets

In the "under 250sqm but doing it anyway" category there are a handful of Molloys offos (someone mentioned their local offo doing it), quite a lot of Eurospar stores and all sorts of random petrol stations, Centra/Mace/Londis/Daybreaks in smaller towns.

Another oddity is that some of the sub-chains within Supervalu are just down as that chain name, e.g. Kavanaghs who have stores up the west coast. Will make it look like there's less Supervalus if you just scan the list.

So, has anyone got to use an RVM yet?

i will try and use one, there's a shop 15 minutes away from my apartment. they put up the price of their bottles to 2.25 despite none of them having the return logo. i have an empty one which i will be bringing

i will also look for a bottle with a return logo on it (if they have any) and i will drink it and try putting that bottle in too, to see if it works (if it has the logo i see no reason why it shouldnt).

i am typing this as i am on my way out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that me done ever buying a bottle of anything again unless I really really am stuck for it.

Stupid return scheme. I can see a scanddl on this in a few years where the machines stop working or need to be replaced every 3 or 5 years or whatever and there is uproar by the shops as they have been told theses machines should last at least a decade.

Also you only getting 5 or 10 cent back at the most for each can or bottle because of the new 15 cent tax that is on them from today. Funny nothing about that in the news today.

If old bottles and cans could have been recycled too this woukd have been brilliant Bd elukd have been a great way to clean up our country but no it's only new ones so it's stupid.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What do you think your chances of surviving the encounter are?

Also you only getting 5 or 10 cent back at the most for each can or bottle because of the new 15 cent tax that is on them from today. Funny nothing about that in the news today.

What's this?

well considering last time, how i nearly got attacked over asking about it, i'm unsure. not sure if was in this thread or the other thread, but a few days ago i had asked about the price increase i noticed on some of the stores bottles (went from 2 euro to 2.25) and they said it was in preperation for the new scheme, said it was the deposit being added, after i explained none of the bottles had the return logo, they insisted it will work. i don't believe it till i see it to be honest. but as the guy was telling me, he says he just stacks the shelves and only told me what he was told, and then he got told to shut up by another worker and was told to tell me nothing. seems sketchy

anyway wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Day 1 and our machine isn't working. Lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement