Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

I think people search for crap when there's none to be there and then make up some ridiculous rubbish to have faux anger about.

If it has a return logo the deposit will be charged, if it doesn't it won't.

So YES you could pay €1.65 for a can of cocacola and also pay €1.50 for the same can in the same shop if they are at the end of the non return stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Buy it and sue them then.

EDIT: or report them to the CPPC. The SEL did not indicate that a deposit was being paid.

Maybe you should.

You just spent the morning telling everyone one here that it couldn't happen.

😂

• Advertisement

At no stage did I say it couldn't happen, I said based on the evidence that we have in the Lidl case, no law was broken. Twist what I said away.

Report them to the CPPC.

There's zero u-turn or climbdown, I think that is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

If people think its illegal what lidl are doing, then return clearly knows about it since it's their branded machine that is enabling the returns. if anything they'll just dissmiss it saying something like "we made an acception", or "there was'nt enough time to put logo's on all cans" despite having over a year or 2, there will always be some excuse, and government will support them because the DRS scheme is rolled out on their behalf to reach their goal anyway.

The only way i can see anything illegal in my eyes from this, is if LIDL or any other store, add a deposit charge, and refuse to give you the deposit back.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Based on the information available, even Boggles concluded that there is insufficient evidence to show Lidl are breaking the law.

The machine accepting a non-logo can isn't illegal. ReTurn are aware that items with international barcodes will be accepted by RVMs even when they have no logo. This will be coming out of Returns back pocket where no deposit has been paid. If you want to make some money, the list of products that fall into this category can be found here:

https://re-turn.wetransfer.com/downloads/40e9021a30b2bb9c38044b01b07b348720240111163455/6a1d0e/grid

(Why WeTransfer? I've no idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

Apologies if this has been answered already but didn't find definitive info on this.

Today bought a bottle in Tesco and now noticed that was charged the 15c deposit. However, the bottle doesn't have a return logo and only standard barcode. I was under the impression that only bottles with the logo should be charged deposit as those without it won't be returnable.

On another note, as far as I could see the store I bought from didn't have a facility to return the bottle which is annoying.

Look, yes, it is'nt illegal. Its just a moral unethical move, and a feeling of something deceptive. i had a simular convo with you a couple days back about a local [deleted] store increasing their prices on non-return logo stock in preparation of this scheme. its illegal for anyone to charge you a deposit and not refund it when the criteria for the refund is met, or has no intention of being met.

However it is not illegal for a shop to intentionally raise their price willy nilly as they see fit. Rome and early greece had a system some countries implement relating to pricing, even uk has. But ireland has no price comissioner and shops are free to raise prices as much as they like with nothing keeping them in check other than "competition" and buyer beware. free market sadly.

Lidl in the example you/he mentioned are breaking the law if they are charging a deposit and not issue-ing the refund on the deposit. if lidl refuse to give the deposit back he should be entitled to a full refund of the item itself, proving he still has proof-of-purchase (aka the receipt).

if lidl however bumped the price up 25 cent or whatever, and nowhere does it say it is a deposit being paid, but says its still eligable for the scheme to get a deposit back, that is legal as its just saying "we take these cans back and pay you for them despite no logo on them"

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

I think charging the deposit and not displaying it on the SEL is illegal. If it happens to me, I'll report it to the CPPC and see what they say.

Lidl will give you the deposit back. Any RVM will in this scenario.

The example you gave was a bit different. You were saying a store would have one set of prices of the non-ReTurn logo stuff and another set of prices for the ReTurn logo stuff and display them at the same time. I said that was impractical and pretty much isn't going to happen but not illegal.

God knows if you will get your deposit back.

You will just have to walk around or drive around until you find a machine to find out for sure.

but it did happen, i went back to the store yesterday and they still have all the non-return logo bottles of drink at €2.25 instead of the previous €2. a few days ago when talking here i even gave the convo i had with the guy that works there, word-for-word and he was told to shut up mid sentence by another member of staff.

i checked cppc website, and aslong as the store isnt admitting its a deposit, theres nothing that can be done.

"In general, there are no price controls in Ireland. This means that, in most cases, there is no minimum or maximum price for goods or services. This is to allow for competition among businesses.

A shop is not breaking the law by charging more than their competitors. If you feel that you are not getting good value, then you should shop around for a better price."

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/shopping/pricing/

I don't know if I am misremembering or misinterpreted at the time, a shop changing the price of an item is up to them. They have full control over their prices subject to meeting MUP etc.

What I understood you were saying is shops charging €1.50 for non-ReTurn cans and €1.35 + €0.15 at the same time i.e. profitting an extra 15c from the non-ReTurn cans. That is impractical. Very impractical.

There's nothing stopping them ramping up the price by 10c or 20c this week and then next week when the ReTurn logo stuff is sold adding the deposit on top of that again.

Certainly now, I think we fully agree?

What did you buy? i.e. whats the barcode number?

it's impractical but that is what they are doing, but the deposit is concealed. its written at €2.25. they're pocketting 25 cent. these are non-return logo bottles.

alternative theory (simular to boggles point about lidl) maybe the bottles will be accepted by the RVM? despite having no logo

If they're pocketing 25c, where is the deposit being charged? They're just upping the price of the product. Nothing illegal about that.

The cans will be accepted at an RVM (in the Lidl case). They have an international barcode. Containers with an international barcode will be accepted at RVMs with or without the logo. The RVMs do not have the ability to read the ReTurn logo. Theres a full list of barcodes available. I linked you it above. Any of these barcodes will be accepted at RVMs with or without the logo.

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Whatever about whether or not you agree with this scheme or not, I am somewhat surprised at the lack of info that has been out there leading up to the launch.

Given this is a massive change to recycling, and given it's going to cost some people quite a bit of money, I would have expected it to be promoted absolutely everywhere. But I can't say that I've seen a TV ad, or heard a radio ad, or even seen an ad for it online. I've seen the machines in the supermarket but they are turned off and have no info about them.

I think I can honestly say I got everything I know about this scheme from this thread and then subsequently going to the re-turn site myself.

exactly my point (on the latter half of what you said) so they was bluffing all along with the logo requirement. i knew something was fishy with how it was worded. i mentioned numerous times in the thread about the barcode mattering and quetioning the whole logo reader thing in the machine which is now magically non-existant. They are telling people even on the machine "this machine is for cans and bottles containing the re-turn logo only, do not insert anything other than this" or something. BIG BLUFF

aslong as the barcode is international and on the list/link you sent. im good to go as far as to be concerned. yes?.

as for the first part its unthical and misleading to have them side by side, or in the same area as the deposit can's/bottles. its trickery. a person just needs a good eye for details not to fall for the scam

Why does it matter?

If they were charged without the logo, according to you that's illegal.

You can look up any bar codes you want and make any sort of speculative declarations pretending they are fact.

But the reality is they won't know until they find an RVM and use it if they are getting their deposit back or not.

It appears to me there is a possibility the shops just applied the deposit across the board.

If that is the case the scheme needs to be paused immediately.

• Advertisement

Even more bizarre considering the transition period has now been disregarded without any notice.

It's basically going to be a lotto to determine which cans and bottles qualify for the scheme.

Fun times and long queues ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I've no problem with that but it now appears that ots possible to buy a limited range of items with no logo that will be charged at €1.65 (but the deposit not itemised on the receipt) and you will be allowed recoup this additional cost (not the deposit) by bunging the items into an RVM along with items with a logo.

Maybe that's a crap interpretation of the products with a qualifying international barcode? If so then great you're point stands and all is (relatively) well in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

A 330ml Innocent fruit juice, barcode: 5 038862 434355

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And just like that, the scheme has been opened up to fraud on a grand scale.

I can see qualifying containers being collected from "friendly" hospitality and other businesses in NI and shipped en masse down here to claim the deposit.

The scheme could collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

NI market cans of soft drinks etc won't be on the international list. They get their coke and pepsi from the same bottlers we do (and not the same as coke GB) and they have split market packaging

You'd spend more money on sorting and transport than you'd get back

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be in NAMA by the evening and the RVM's used as goalposts down your local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Containers are marked. I do know, that other country's use deposit systems and thought about stuff like this years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Mass confusion already.

Bought my usual stuff. All the same price as before in Aldi. Lots of cans and large plastic bottles.

Did see a few items with the return price labelling on the shelving. Machine outside with Re-Turn worker seated beside it to help anyone returning.

Old guy in the car park tells me everything is going to stay the same price, you just take your containers back and jackpot. I pointed out the scheme is going to add a fee you can reclaim when it gets up and running properly. His exact words: "Not a chance lad. Sure if they did that no-one would buy anything!" 🤣 Instead of arguing with him I said "Maybe you're right. We'll see..."

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So there's now 3 states of item on sale from today according to Liveline...

• Items that don't have the Re-turn label which can be sold up until 1st June with no charge taken or given when returned*
    • Items with the Re-turn label which the retailer has been charged the fee on and will pass it on to the consumer who can then get the fee back when they return it to the RVM.
    • *A list of 800 items that don't have the Re-turn label on them but because they are international products the fee will be charged on them despite the fact the retailer wasn't charged the fee pre February 1st. So if someone has stockpiled these items you are in the money 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Probably room for them beside the e-voting machines and the Dail printer that was too big for the room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement