Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Since the storms last week the outside of my windows are very dirty...the summer sun today is showing up all the dirt 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Worst one I remember in a place where I worked, it was emphasised how doors were left open to have a more welcoming "feel".

It meant there was nowhere to knock before you entered an office. After a few times of wandering into the bosses office, and being gestured with animated hand movements (get out) while she was on the phone, it did not seem so "welcoming" at all. I started to feel like I was one of those yokes in the nature programmes that don't want to startle their target.

That was the worst part of that job, after a while I think it chipped away at me. Open doors, closed minds?

Open doors, great idea in theory, not so great in practice. Where are the boundaries?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bog doors and cubicle doors open too?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why does John Squire have a haircut like that in this day and age. Great guitarist but ffs you're too old for that hair

• Advertisement

I just saw this post now, the level of excitement at the thought of getting the secret answer, only to be disappointed has to be added to the Tayto Trivial Annoyance disappointment.

They don't want you to know the past weights in the packets I think. Plus putting the weight of a packet only really came in when people were calorie counting etc because of EU guidelines or whatever?

It crossed my mind that I should go on a Tayto tour in a factory and get the hidden answer as to past Tayto amounts per packet.

In fairness at least Tayto were not as sneaky as Rolo, they removed the number of Rolo's in a pack. Keeping the price the same.

But the sneaky feckers changed the slogan which used to be about sharing your Rolo."What would you do with your last Rolo?" or "Do you love anyone enough to give them your last Rolo?"

Bit of doubt added in about sharing here 1989 -

To too good to share!/ It's my Rolo!

To take the focus away from the fact that you are down the number of Rolo's you normally got in a pack. I definitely remember reading an article on it, made me stop eating Rolo's altogether because they were not going to cod me! 😎

Last paragraph article above -

"The company came under fire in 1995 when a BBC1 Watchdog programme pointed out that Nestlé itself had snatched the last Rolo - the tubes of 11 sweets were cut down to just 10."

In fact at the time in 1995. One woman complained she felt cheated with the one Rolo less.

And she used to give her two son's 5 Rolo's each and eat one herself.

I wonder if that was at discussed at "board level". Would people have kicked up a stink?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My favourite watch is being petulant again. It’s an eco drive, ie. it charges by being exposed to the light, any light, natural or artificial.

but, despite me leaving it under my bedside light for hours and or at the window in daylight , for hours too, the watch is not holding a charge for very long, I’m lucky if I get 6 hours out of it…. It happened before when it was under warranty and Citizen the maker repaired it for free down in their facility in Shannon, now it’s out of warranty so I dunno.. send it back to them hoping it is not going to cost me ? A new capacitor costs about 20 euros but if they want to charge me for looking at it and installing the capacitor as they are entitled to do… probably around 70 -80 quid total and I’d probably be better off buying a new battery powered watch… no way am I going with eco drive tech again….

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thread titles that end with the imperative "Discuss."

No. Fcuk off with your demands and rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Grown adults who stick their tongues out in photos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now they tell me that what I didn't get was proprietary data. Can they even use a dictionary? To top it all, the Data Protection link on their website (the official, Company one, as opposed to the website/privacy/cookies one) returns a 404.

If they think I'll back down they've another think coming - I'm only just warming up, they should be afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Spotted my Wednesday TA again today. Disabled guy parked in disabled parking - so far so good as it should be. The annoyance is that his wife isn't disabled and he sits there with the engine running the whole time reading the paper. To add to my totally TA he always has his fog lights on ;-(

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My neighbour needs some new hearing aids quick time. arrives in from work at whatever the **** time 5.30-6.00 am …… decides to put the bin out, but with the hearing issue he can not experience the absolute massive fûcking din of whatever way he’s dragging the bin out, plastic being scraped against concrete, bin hitting off gate, gate being smashed closed, side wooden door being pushed open with the bin …90 seconds of absolute stupidity and mayhem . He’s supposed to have these swanky smart digital modern as fûck aids that cost thousands, so either turn them on/up, or get them repaired/replaced because…. I’m a heavy sleeper and while it takes me a while to sleep I never ever wake up. I have his house phone number so if this is more then a one off I might get a little careless as to what I’m doing at quare hours when he and his other half should be sleeping…I’m all for making allowances for challenges but people should be aware how that impacts others… and be careful ffs.

Its 5.30 fückin AM, do it, quietly or do it before you leave and bring a plastic bag with whatever rubbish you compile later…Jesus !

I would have been one those offenders early on to be honest not in the title in fairness, but in the OP. Mods quickly put me in line with the "boards" convention

But as far as I was concerned Leaving Certificate papers used to be like that. Here is the issue xyz with the premise hypotheses etc - discuss. Which to me implies a robust debate is sought rather than a throwaway comment.

It took me awhile to figure out in today's chat in the internet world are of a much softer disposition. And view discuss as an "order" not a "statement" for people to carry on the comment.

The internet is a strange place where suddenly some conventions become the norm that would be my TA, while those new to it are completely obvious to breaking these conventions. I am old enough to remember when people used to say "ASL?" in chatrooms.

Now that seems like the dark ages. Terminology in general language are now becoming the "norm" still jar at me. Such like "mental health" which no longer means "mental illness" such as bipolar or schizophrenia etc. It can simply mean someone who felt a bit down after stubbing their toe. So in other words "mental health" becomes a broad throwaway comment that has lost precise meaning. I don't think I will ever get used to that.

Even "top" journalists use the phrase toxic/toxicity now, but again I struggle to get used to that. To me toxic means something to do with dangerous chemicals/waste not a description of a bad atmosphere or how someone's "feelings" are hurt

It is very hard work to keep up with conventions online etc. I still never really get how capitals are viewed as SHOUTING. To me it is just something that is easier to read, like a note. Even after many decades online.

How can capitals be shouting? They don't actually make a noise. Unless the person reading a post shouts out loud as they read it?

There used to be a function boards to change colour on the text of the HTML it was easy to do, made things clear, easy to differentiate. But few used it, I did when I felt was useful. But again the internet convention seemed to be "how dare you use different colour font in a post who do you think you are?" Which I again found odd.

I am sure in the next few years/decades there will be some other changing terminology or convention that will have to relearn. But eventually it won't be a trivial annoyance. I will be too old to care, or even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The fact that our minister for health needed a task force to tell him that the HSE is mismanaged

The dogs on the streets could have told him that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

That a qualified hairdresser has once again ignored what I said during our discussion about "what would you like today" and I ended up with hair being cut by three times the number of inches/cms that I asked for. Huge TA that some hairdressers just ignore client requests and do something that a client specifically tells them not to do 😠😠😠😠

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You should refuse to pay, they'll listen the next time.

My TA is that I thought today was Thursday and still have w days of work to the long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Sitting on the bus with a runny nose and no tissues in my pocket to wipe it with

Post edited by Sgt Hartman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Probably 40-50 tired commuters on our inter city coach. I would guess half are asleep. All us regulars, we see the same faces on the bus each day

And one lady having a full blown conference call on the bus. Softly spoken she is not! “Check with my colleagues”, “status of project” bla bla.

Disturbing everyone 😡

And when we arrive at the bus stop the call ends! So she disturbs everyone on the bus but doesn’t want to take a call as she walks around town.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The state of men's jacks, the cubicles, some real manky bastards out here, fella's not washing their hands either 🤢🤢🤮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The premium account status for my fitbit ended in December. Since then my heart rates have been all over the place. My normal heart rate is around 68/70. For whatever reason, the fitbit thinks I'm doing exercise now anytime my heart rate goes above 80. Like when I'm in a meeting, or walking up the stairs, or playing a computer game. For example, I did apparently 57 minutes of "intense activity" last night from 22:11 for 57 minutes. I was reading in bed. 189 minutes of "intense activity" at 18:40, when I was eating my dinner. It just makes the readings meaningless. And of course it buzzes at me to tell me that I'm doing "intense activity". So when I do ACTUAL exercise it must think I'm dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I don't know is it just me, but the more pushy the sales person is the more I get annoyed and it puts me off. I got a call from my energy provider contract will be up etc, trying to get me to renew there and then (I got the impression).

Must have been on the phone with me for well over 20 minutes. He barely let me get a word in edgeways, he did not give me much useful information at all. Reading from an obviously preprepared script. In fact I was left more confused after the phonecall, than before it.

So now because of that "hard sell" phonecall I definitely am not going to go with the same provider. Do sales people not realise the hard sell can backfire? To me the product should sell itself. You give me the plus points compared to the alternatives compared to your competitors, don't throw jargon at me, answer my questions straight, don't bluff, let me speak, let me think about it, don't pressure me. Then you have a much better chance of getting a sale!

Two simple things could have been done -

1) Listen to me the customer, don't bombard me

2) Say - "no pressure"

--

Then I would have been impressed, more likely to be on the salesperson's side.

Clothes with no pockets. So all women's clothing, basically 🙄

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Or clothes with fake pockets - sewn to look like the seam of a pocket but no actual pocket 😢

People who have no idea what the word "decimate" actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i get the impression the ministers have an advisory committee to tell them when to take a dump..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

It's actually beyond ridiculous. Today I'm wearing men's tracksuit bottoms and a woman's hoodie from the same shop. The bottoms have three pockets in them and the top has none at all.

• Advertisement

So you have the obligatory rear pocket necessary for the destruction of your smart phone when you sit on it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement