Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Why though? Why would journalists or private stations be anti electric cars? Whats in it for them?

im just curious.

so many posts here make it sound like something conspiratorial - and invariably it just turns out to be ignorance or laziness.

Adrian weckler (who I don’t know at all btw), was eaten alive for accurately describing his specific EV experience for ownership, depreciation and public charging - but he’s certainly not anti EV.

you could easily argue the opposite too, by simply ‘following the money’ as they say - the people with most to lose from anti EV articles are EV owners.

when cars go on fire in car parks recently, it’s usually been twitter bots jumping on the EV angle, and then lazy journalists writing lazy articles simply because EVs are so topical.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's hard not to think it's deliberate when publications such as the Telegraph and Sun publish daily articles for half a year making EVs look bad. You then get a crowd that gleefully repost those stories and are surprised when actual EV owners don't agree with the stories. It's the latest in a long line of culture war BS that's got people fighting over stupid things instead of complaining about real issues.

As a journalist I don't think Adrian Weckler did enough to dig into why his car depreciated at the expected rate for a car of its age, when you sensationalise an issue instead of exploring it you shouldn't be too surprised that people with a bit of knowledge in the area call you out on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Two reasons, clicks pay the bills and bad news EV articles get lots of clicks, comments and interactions. Journalists now see the articles that work and make similar.

Other reason is that oil industry wants to delay EV take up, so fear uncertainty and doubt to delay take up by say 5-10 years. One "research" said tyres pollute more than ICE and EVs are "heavier" and so EV=bad.

The car companies also were very misleading, self charging, Nissan epower (petrol), phev with tiny batteries (now banned in EU) and dealers knocking EVs to those who want to buy an EV. Even the prices were 10-20k higher than similar ICE when possibly the parts cost difference cannot justify the difference.

You need to look at who gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Google also happy to take anyone's dollar to promote messaging on any (legal) topic anywhere in the world through its media syndication arm. With little to no moderation if staying on the right side of the law. Promoting truth or fallacy? Not sure there's any great care given once the $$$ is being spent.

All the social networks pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭obi604

Do ye reckon the ~10% price drop of the Tesla Y overnight will have much impact on pricing of similar type cars like id4, enyaq, maybe Ioniq 5……….or will it take months for sellers/dealers to reduce prices?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

AFIR comes into force on the 13th of April, this means any new 50kW+ chargers deployed after that date need to support either payment card readers or contactless functionality that can read payment cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Plug and charge is so much better than faffing around with cards ☹️

VW dropped and Tesla followed it seems this time anyway. Here in Ireland that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Anything they have designs of selling in volume is going to have to be 40k or less in the future. Early adopters have bought. Covid savings are gone. First time EV owners getting burnt on trade in values. The Chinese are competing hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭traco

Or was that VW drop in response to the prior Tesla drop????? I suspect more drops of smaller amounts from all manufacturers.

All of this yep.

mass market Joe blogs just didnt follow early adopters on EVs, now that they’ve all taken delivery.

we shouldn’t underestimate the rarity of large price cuts on new cars too.

Battery prices have been dropping a lot thanks to the investment in new lithium sources.

Lithium prices peaked at the end of 2022. 2022 saw the first increase in per kWh prices of battery. Analysts are now predicting battery prices could go as low as $60/kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Ev fan

I've just read an excellent article on EV efficiency by InsideEvs/Jason Lambrecht. I think it's very educational and wide ranging hitting all the important factors for efficiency and resultant range. Very interesting note also that a higher powered motor- 286 hp leads to greater efficiency and hence range improvement in the new ID4. Well worth a good read. By the way Engineering Explained /Jason Fenske who features in the article has some excellent YouTube videos - e.g. range effects of using bigger wheel diameters.

Post edited by Ev fan on

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Ev fan

Yes, Tesla was the same. I found the higher performance AWD more efficient on motorway runs than the RWD performance version. P90DL V P85+.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think this is article you read

I have noticed massive differences on efficiency in same car on same road. Freezing temperates and today massive headwinds and rain. I tend to keep the trip average kw/100km display on the dash and it's varied from 16-30 within the space of a few weeks. Head winds can be unseen, unnoticed but impact a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭fafy

Peugeot have extended their now standard 8 year battery warranty to cover the other EV components :

Toyota have up to 10 years battery warranty on their BZ4x if you continue to service that car at a main dealer.

So, these new warranty variations are challenging the standard EV 8 year warranty covering only the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Not sure where to post this but here goes. I'm a long time reader/lurker on this forum and am thinking of going electric. The snag is I've 4 children under 12 so need a 6-7 seater. My wife also visits her mother regularly 130 km away in West Cork, there is one charger halfway and so would need to be able to get there and back to the charger comfortably in winter.

Currently we have 2 motors, a 5 and a 7 seater, we're on a farm and also have a small bit of towing.

Is the Telsa model x a feasible option? I'm talking 2nd hand 2018/19 but they're an awful price still at that, imho.

Other options would be a citroen/fiat crew van and a smaller 5 seat ev

TIA, other suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

For a seven seater, you are looking at mad money alright.

So, my thought reading this was to suggest leaving your 7 seater as is and replace the 5 seater car to ev for some trips. I think there will be alot of options for 7 seater in 1 to 2 years new but not in the second hand market for another 5 ish years.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear and others might have better feedback for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I was in exact same boat. 7 seater EV is too expensive. However even though I needed a 7 seater we realised it was only a handful of times we actually needed 7 seats or long journeys. So decided to keep 7 seater ice and get EV for run around.

I intended to use ice car for long journeys, however after having it a while now o would prefer take Ev and just charge somewhere.

Lots of ev's would do you 260km round trip, even in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I have four children (11, 8, 3 and 2) and a 2018 MX 75D as our only car. It's a great car but very pricey. The 6 seat model is great because kids in the third row can get in/out through the middle without moving the seats (or passengers) in the 2nd row. There's isofix in all three rows (in the older models) and plenty of space for people in front of any rear-facing child seats. The boot is big enough to take 1 pram and lots of other stuff comfortably. 2 prams is a problem for us but might not be a concern for you. There's loads of room under the 1st and 2nd row seats so they can take all their junk with them on trips and not use the boot at all. Two of mine do sports activities five days a week so their sports equipment lives in the car, mostly in the frunk, leaving the boot free for shopping, etc.

I've never measured it properly but I think we get about 200-250km in Winter and 250-300km in Summer fully loaded. My in-laws are in the very west of west Mayo which is around 330km from Dublin so definitely not manageable in a single trip but we always stop for food and toilet trips anyway so it doesn't add much/anything to the journey time. The trip used to require some planning but there have been a number of additional high-speed chargers added recently and a 50kW in the nearest town to them so we charge up while we're there for the trip back. Some (all?) of the older models have a 16.5kW AC charger which can be very handy because you can combine charge and eat without being stuck with the fast-food options at motorway service stations.

On the other hand, the older Model X cars are a lucky dip. I had quite a few things fixed under warranty and I've had a few things need to be fixed out of warranty: drivers door handle (not as simple/cheap as you'd think because of the powered doors), front passenger seatbelt sensor (the whole seat might need to be replaced) and both the 3 way and 4 way coolant junctions. Definitely budget for repairs! They also eat tyres and the tyres are huge so those will be a black hole for money but I suspect most full 6/7 seat cars will be almost as bad.

Lastly, the double edged sword. It's a big car. It's relatively long, quite wide, has the turning circle of a small boat and takes up entire parking spaces. Multi-story car parks are a challenge. But, unlike a lot of 7 seaters, the rear seats are full sized seats with a full protective shell around them, they're not in the rear crumple zone so kids sitting there should be very safe.

Edit: Mine came with an optional tow-hitch. I've never used it but the MX is definitely rated to tow stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I had a 2017 X75D 7 seater and sold it because the range was simply not enough for me (220km round trip all motorway). Other than that it's a great car. Agree on the tires, thankfully we never had to change them but it was on 22' wheels on black alloys.

Agree on the whole rest of your post actually, and if I didnt need the range I'd still have the X. Great car. I want another one, but a longer range this time.

Tesla dropped last year and VW dropped this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the time that went into them especially @markpb , its hard to beat real life experiences.

I must certainly cost post warranty issues into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Would a Mercedes EQB be another 7 seater option you would consider?

There are a good number for sale.

The components of electric drivetrains have been around for a very long time, motors and simple reduction gears with power electronics. I'd say manufacturers are seeing that they can offer much longer warranties without extra costs, they can look good and offer 8 years without affecting the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The EQB is a size down from the X though. It's a 5 seater with 2 seats in the boot and the third row has zero legroom. If you regularly need to use more than 5 seats it's not a real option. Fine for occasional use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is that new big Kia EV9 not a 7 seater? And is there any word on a 7 seater version of the ID.Buzz ever happening/coming here?

Expensive buses, but probably a much better prospect over a 5-7 year old Model X

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Course they can, Hyundai US EV cars come with 10 yr battery/drivetrain warranty and 5 year bumper the bumper, no reason why can't be the same here

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement