Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Lennon is probably the best realistic option, not sure if there's the chance them trying to be ambitious and get a sugar daddy like McManus to pay wages of a more expensive candidate.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Eoin having to correct himself stating the bleedin’ obvious that Duffer only managing in the LoI means he has no top level managerial experience so he could avoid the inevitable email firestorm from the LoI Mafia was great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"....i was in Lavery's in 1997."...

I could listen to Ken criticising criticisms a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

• Advertisement

Because we have limited talent, limited resources and a fan base where half of them have that have decided the only right way to play is Barcelona ‘09 who will try to shank any manager who doesn’t match their fantasies. Oh, and we’re not going to be paying particularly serious money to whoever has to cobble all that together into something that makes sense.

Ireland have qualified for three world cups and three Euros in about 100 years of competition. We’re so ‘meh’ we haven’t even attracted a sponsor despite losing our last one a few years ago. A throne of gold this ain’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm a proper football man. I don't need your nerd "stats" to tell me Klopp is better than Ole

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"So we can all have a bit of a laugh"

Ken's entirely accurate assessment of what the national team is for was bang on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

Ken reading more one star reviews of things please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

Limited talent?

We have a young team who are mostly playing in the premier League and the championship. Two of the toughest leagues in the world. We have one of the hottest young prospects in the world at the moment playing up front for us.

What resources would the international team be lacking that another middle of the road European country would have?

Fans are fickle. We want better football but if someone comes in and wins playing shite football then we won't mind. If the play shite football AND lose then the fans will complain.

I really don't see why we can't attract a sponsor but would an incoming manager really care about that? Most countries don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LeGrandeRecif

After yesterday's football pod, I think you spoke too soon.

I forgot Caleb Folan existed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

:D

I knew it was Caleb Folan before they even played the clip on Monday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember them joking about that clip way back when Staunton said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ken's anger over Rashford driving a Lamborghini made no sense but it was kinda funny.

Really enjoyed ROG, was very interesting. Not sure if he's intentionally trying to sound French or if it's just natural

Not getting Conor Bradley, the Tyrone lad from a nationalist family that grew up playing gaelic football, tied to Ireland and not Norn is Stephen Kenny still slapping us in the face even after he was fired. Looks like we missed out on the best wing back the island has produced since Coleman.

They probably tried, they try every Catholic N Irish player. Switching to rep of Ireland from the north means a lot of hassle and probably death threats and no everyone wants them or their family to go through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"Skip to the end of the podcast if you want to hear that"

Eoghan knows what's up.

• Advertisement

Simon is an incredible interviewer when it comes to rugby. He has a depth of knowledge most of the pundits on TV don’t have about what’s happening in the sport. Shaggy was very downbeat about Marseille but it’s such a wonderful tie to kick off the tournament it’s hard not to look forward to it. I hope ROG is available when Farrell leaves because it’s already obvious he’s going to be a great international coach.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Nonsense. The world has moved on. Young lads choose who they want to play for and death threats don’t come into it.

the disgrace is that a national team is approaching players based on their religion - but you are exactly correct, that is what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I think both Simon and Mark are excellent presenters/interviewers, dare I say that they’re almost a bit ‘wasted’ as ‘mere’ producers. SC is really an exceptional line-up of talent, you only have to listen to pretty much any other podcast/sports program to realise that

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It’s not just his religion though, as the previous poster said, Bradley comes from a nationalist background and played GAA. You’d wonder what goes through his mind when he has to line up for GSTK.

Having said that, he played for NI throughout his youth and it would have been pretty rough if the FAI had swooped in to nab him when it became clear he was going to be a top level player. But England have done it to us plenty of times in recent years so it would have been nice for us to have the shoe on the other foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shaggy is downbeat about Ireland's chances on every pod, its tired at this stage.

James McClean and Shane Duffy have stood to attention under GSTQ at youth level. Bradley just probably zones out.

He got his first cap at 17. So we would have had to cap him at 17 when we had Coleman and Doherty as our right backs.

but that’s not really the point, Crawford spoke to his representatives and put the thought of playing for Ireland in his head. But he answered the call for Northern Ireland and played for them instead.

you say it’s an fai blunder aswell. Which I presume you don’t mean as it doesn’t make any sense.

ok so their blunder was not tapping him up when he was 14 or 15? You previously said their blunder was not capping him first which I took to mean senior caps.

I can see your point there more easily. Not sure I’d call it a blunder. More unfortunate in hindsight.

I wonder why Bradley’s people didnt inform the fai he was interested in playing for the republic. And obviously he could have switched. It wasn’t like he was cap tied by the time the fai tapped him up. Just decided to not to switch for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

nevermind

Advertisement