Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

The Green Party whip is Marc O'Cathasaigh TD from Waterford. He knows how important this is. Are we to inderstand, or are you saying, that neither he nor the moinister's officials would not alert him to the fact that a business plan had been submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I dunno, just a wild guess, but maybe all that’s in the business plan? And If it isn’t then reject the business plan. But at least have the courtesy and professionalism to read the phukking plan.

It would also help if the jet setting carbon emitter would lose the condescending smirk when he is displaying his ignorance of his job like when he couldn’t quite get around to licencing the drone stopping technology that left tens of thousands of people stranded, not to mention all the extra carbon burned when they had to go home and come back when the airport was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wouldn't overlook the fact that the Taoiseach, the Minister for Finance (a Corkman!) and the Minister for State who has responsibility for Transport all spoke very positively regarding the project in December, and the Minister for Finance was even down there for the funding announcement.

In practical terms, a business case of that scale getting lobbed in the week before Christmas was only getting reviewed properly in January. I would imagine that there's a fair bit of detail to work through, and probably queries going back and forth between officials and the airport before the Minister gets a summary of the proposal and a recommendation.

I think the Government will be really hoping to support this thing if they can at all - but you'd also have to be open to the possibility that the business case that went in before Christmas was full of holes.

Matt Shanahan is also being cute here to try and put a bit of pressure on the Greens here when he knows he'll probably be battling the local Green TD for the 4th seat in the next general election which mightn't be too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

According to other posters on this page ( who are probably more au fait with the situation than i am , - the business plan in question took 2 years odd to make it to the department -

I assume whats in it needs to be checked and verified - by the civil service -always know as a speedy bunch - before it goes to the minister to be officially viewed ,( probably accompanied by a file or report)

Maybe the minister will delay reading it - maybe he read it all last night,in bed ,while drinking a cup of tea , maybe its a load of bull - maybe its an election year and theres horse trading in process -

We dont know - and since most of its confidential we wont for a while,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

marc heading back to school id imagine, after the ge...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

So where does that even leave us if he's refusing to even acknowledge the business case? The airport density issue is a load of bull imo - those flights from ORK/KIR and potentially WAT would still be operating from DUB or SNN otherwise. People won't just not fly cause the airport is a bit of a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

Greens know full well the game is up, they will stall and impede any and all legislation until the GE.

They will also attempt to introduce as much of their agenda in the run up to the next GE.

A very dangerous dying wounded animal.

Sooner they are gone the better.

...most of our politics is dangerous now, its not just confined to the greens....

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭nomoedoe

Waterford/Wexford/Kilkenny councils are putting up the other 6 million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Which theyre getting from the state ,

( i know there are rates and property taxes, but its robbing peter to pay Paul )

So the states potentially on the hook for 18 million , and you know it'll over run -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

In fairness, it's good to see Wexford and Kilkenny helping to fund this. In hindsight, it's a shame that the airport wasn't built somewhere more central in terms of access from other counties - South Kilkenny would have been better for access from the rest of that county, from Wexford, South Tipp etc. Where it's located is a little less reachable for the rest of the South East than somewhere like South Kilkenny(but no less reachable for most of Waterford). Of course, it's going back a long way now but I think that the issue at the time was that only Waterford was willing to fund the airport so, obviously, that's where it got located. Another example of the South Eastern counties not hanging together, to the cost of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Even if it went to €30 millions, it's a drop in the ocean. You can be sure the government will be blowing well in excess of the figure above for some other vanity project such as the cork events centre, we already see costs being exceeded on that from week to week but government are still beating the drum.

While the government might not get any return on the airport directly if it increases the tourist trade of the area then there will be tax returns in that area.

The worst thing that happens, government pay €30 million and Waterford runs one flight a day, ensures the future of SAR services for a measly €30 million and that is worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Valhalla90

Can’t wait to see how our local green TD is going to try get out of this one. Definitely his last leg of being a TD. After Ryan’s statement it’s clear he is biased and does not support WAT

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Its not exactly a massive shock that a green party TD doesn't want to open additional airports, sort of in their ideology no? If he publicly backed it he'd just be called a hypocrite.

True. But the absolute arrogance of his reply to Matt Shanahan shows his mentality. Yet he has no problem flying off to Brazil for St Patrick’s day the man is a hypocrite. One man and his ideology should not hold back key regional infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I don’t hear much from Butler or Cullinane on it. Ryan is clearly biased and this should be highlighted by all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,406 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They should be shouting louder for it , than he is against it !! ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

When was the last time Mr Cullinane said anything constructive about anything in Waterford? As for Ms Butler, the less said the better. Very poor TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I was only thinking the same thing, what a let down Cullinane has been on all the key issues - particularly the university. Too busy playing Minister for Health in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

As I previously said, where is this "regional" support that we had for SETU?

We were blue in the face looking at South East politicians posing in group photos in support of SETU.

We were blue in the face of being told how "Waterford needs to get onboard" for the South East.

We heard the likes of Brendan Howlin practically crying on WLR how Waterford better not mess this up.

Where is the same outcry for the Airport? No where as it doesn't deliver a concrete project in neighbouring counties.

The Airport issue highlights that the South East is only a thing when it can pull resources from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

Pure useless political representatives more concerned with the "party" than the people who voted for them.

Christ we are devoid of representation here in Waterford.

Only fella who asks awkward questions or challenges the status quo is shanahan.

We have to extract every last morsel from government nothing is freely given.

The so called university.

The hospital all chronically underfunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I’ll repeat this until I’m blue in the face and 6 feet underground, 33 Dails X approximately 20 ministers, taoisigh and tainiste’s = 660. Population of Waterford as a percentage of Ireland’s. Population is 2.4% = 16 minister/ taoisigh. Actual Waterford ministers? 2 (that’s two). Until that changes we will always have no airport, a cathlab that takes 10 years to build, a University that needs 10 buildings in Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford before one is built in Waterford.

It would be frustrating if it wasn’t what I’ve gotten used to over the last 60 years.

All it takes is to have a minister from your area. Cullen proved that with the M9, city bypass and outer ring road. WIT had multiple developments during his time along with land purchased at Carrignore. Hogan and Howlin then came along and did everything in their power to strip Waterford of any regional hub with regards to health and educational facilities. Butler and Cullinane now are too busy putting their party before constituency. While we seek pennys from the government for the runway extension other areas get massive development without a second thought. Hopefully people remember this especially when our Green TD seeks reelection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What good is an awkward question asker who has no power and will never have any influence or ability to get anything done unless there is a minority government that needs his support in situations like when the Healy Rae’s/Lowry and further back in 80’s Tony Gregory’ propped up FF governments. On their own independent TD’s are worth eff all

At least the awkward questions are asked and have to be answered. At least we know what is happening. Otherwise we would not even be mentioned at all. There is an accepting silence from our government representatives. What good have they been? Mr Cullinane is an opposition TD and does not even bother to question any more. Do we accept in silence? Would you rather not know and not have the questions asked in the Dail and not be able to hear first hand the rubbish that Eamonn Ryan throws back at us? At least the Waterford public , who seem to be politically accepting, can hear how the cake is cut?

Im just sick of this government and do not see SF as being different. Party first last and always and control from the Ard Comhairle in Belfast?

Post edited by azimuth17 on

...still guarantees of a sf lead government, but i suspect you could be right even if there is, i.e. very little change, worrying stuff really, and its looking like many younger males are flocking to more extreme right corners, so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

It's actually really bizarre when you think about it, there are people within a 30 or 40klm radius of Waterford who would rather see education and jobs go out of the region than see it in Waterford, whereas somewhere like cork city is surrounded by county cork and no-one would object to having jobs 30mins from there home or a university where young people would not have to leave home (and never come back) .

And all because of County lines,

Advertisement