Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think you should probably start going to a different shop if they're that ignorant, rude and criminal. Tesco, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Eurospar - any shops I've been in definitely didn't up their prices before today "in preparation for the new scheme", so you should have plenty of choice to vote with your wallet and boycott these kind of fringe operators. It sounds like you were unlucky enough to get caught out badly at the Euro changeover; you shouldn't let it happen to you again.

Actually, I was in the supermarket last night, and the couple in front of me were buying 8 multipacks of Monster. I was thinking at the time that they must spend half their lives twitching like a landed fish if this was part of their weekly shop, but now I realise that they were probably bulk-buying before the DRS kicked in.

Anyone else panic buy to save them a trip to the RVM?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭I told ya

Why does the drink container have to be 'undamaged'? Or, another way, what is an acceptable level of damage in order to get a refund?

A cynic might say it's another way for the government to scam the customer.

I know it's only day one, but it just seems strange to me.

What level of acceptable damage is a very good question.

The machines crush the containers, so that they can't have their deposit redeemed a second time. Therefore the machines obviously can't accept crushed containers. Also, identification of the container is based not only on the barcode, but a visual inspection (and weight) of the container. So they need to be "intact" for that. But yes, whether they will accept ones with a dent, or bent, remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There should be a prize for the first boardsie to successfully attempt it. The golden can.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

All the inspectors had to do was prove the price hadn't risen due to conversion. There is no need for the inspectors to have a list of all prices for all products for every shop. It being a challenge doesn't mean it wasn't checked and they also said they would act against attempts. You claimed it was a widespread problem and nobody was checking but you have shown it wasn't happening.

The big retailers/suppliers were certainly not at it as so many eyes were on them. Small independent shops may have but that is about it. All of the franchise stores would have been prevented too

BoardsBottler set out to his local RVM an hour ago, but there's no word from him.

I'm hoping everything's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

<engage after hours mode>

What have we done! Has no one seen or read Maximum Overdrive? We're literally putting ammunition into these RVMs, stationed at the entrance to supermarkets, giving them strategic location to deny humans access to food and medicines.

Dear god, the humanity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Bought a bottle today, charged the 15c but didn't have the return logo on it. Assumed as it was bought today that it could be returned, so made my attempt and no luck. Barcode not recognised apparently. Nice system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

hello boards.ie readers, i'm back

Sad to say that i did'nt get the pleasure of using the machine or even buying a single can/bottle. Was utter madness, pure chaos and pandemonium, the place was a nightmare!

it took just over 11 minutes trying to get in the door alone (there was lots of people outside lined up) it gave me some PTSD flashbacks to the Covid days. After i finally got in there was so many people screaming/shouting and banging into eachother, all pushing up at the machine and blocking the path. i just wanted to go in and buy a bottle first, could not even get past the machine there was that many people. BIG MISTAKE PUTTING THE MACHINE JUST AFTER THE DOOR! there was 5 workers holding them back, and so much noise, pushing and shoving. Some people even had phones out recording the whole ordeal, so i would keep an eye out for posts about this on youtube or facebook or whatever social media the youth are using these days.

After another 15 minutes, a manager-like looking worker with a cap came out from around the back of the side part, and stood up on some box thing or step ladder with a microphone telling people to please disperse, sadly to say he followed up with announcing the shop is being temporarily closed until further notice, and that everyone must leave for "unseen health and safety reasons that have recently occurred" whatever that means.

i just wanted to buy a bottle, have a look, and see the machine. What an ordeal, i have a splitting migraine from all of that. i never got to make it past the machine/entrance.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

15 mins there and back, 11 mins outside and 15 mins in the doorway, i wasted 56 minutes with this whole ordeal for nothing.

i'm hoping its not like this everywhere

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

So, no dual pricing just fleecing while they can.

sad but predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I all fairness all I can say is that people are strange....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The barcodes drive the fee. The logo doesn't. If they charged you the barcode is the same on the new ones coming with the logo. You can return the product and get the deposit back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Especially ones that live in a different universe, and make things up off the hoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The one in my local Dunnes was out of order about 11am. Machine was opened up with workers/managers peering in, pulling at the paper roll of what is, presumably the voucher paper.

Bought sparkling water, no extra charge and obviously no return label.

I think it's wise to be on the lookout for the deposit charge being implemented for non labelled items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Tesco are giving store credit vouchers when you return the bottles. How is that fair you give them cash as a deposit and don't have an option to get cash back.Or at least load it onto the loyalty card.

Sick and tired of getting store credits gonna be going to the till with me little 50 cent off paper slip begging them to accept it? Rubbish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You can exchange them for cash OR use against your shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Can you? Does it mean a lemgthy queue at customer service for cash or will it be given at a till?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I can guarantee you this till be a common sight, machines out of order, they are way too complex(like this scheme) for the type of use they are likely to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I bought in bulk last night but not to save a trip to the RVM.

It was to save the hassle of the bedding in phase of retailers old stock versus new stock and if we would be charged the levy on January stock.

Been around long enough to know Ireland does implementation on a wing and a prayer and as retailers were quiet about this, I assumed that prices may change overnight on existing stock. Retailers were out of pocket buying the machines, so they were always going to look for ways to recoup costs asap.

I admit, I have little faith in the honesty of some in our great little nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭SteM

Hard to believe for that machines were full by today. Sorry, just not buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Lots of them have had bottles shoved down them over the last few months, so they’re probably jammed. My local Lidl is in an internal mall with lax security, teenagers have been shoving bottles in there since December, signs blocking the chutes torn off etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I suppose it's up to the shop whether it's at customer service or the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You don't think this type of behaviour will continue?

• Advertisement

in all fairness they were basically asking for it, by having the machines out way too early and powered up each day. Not sure what they expected, but i'm hoping it teaches them a lesson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement