Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Orville went over the deep edge with the 3rd series. Running time was all over the place meaning it was impossible to sell to international networks who had a 60 minute slot to fill with 45 minutes of programme and 15 minutes of ads. Plots got very heavy on the politics, and I consider myself quite centrist in that regard. I was trying to take a break from the doom and gloom on the news about the overturn of Roe V Wade and the very next episode had a system where aborted kids were mocked up to ask why they died.

There was very little heart left in the series, when you compare it to Lower Decks and to a lesser extent Strange New Worlds. It got too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Presumably it means that more hostility towards Nu-Trek will drive more people towards the Orville so more fans for that show.

Personally, I've tried watching the Orville and couldn't get into it. Just don't like McFarlane that much, despite enjoying Family guy and American Dad back in the day. Lower decks does a much better job of providing Trek fix under the guise of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ah....a TV Movie afterall.

But despite this announcment from the official Trek account, I still won't believe it until I see it. The fact that it was reduced to a TV-movie almost speaks volumes to the amount of faith (or resources) they likely had left for the project. This was supposed to be a series I am remembering right and now I guess we're down to what was likely 2-parter that's been retooled into a "Movie Event"...which just smacks "TV Movie" to my 90's perspective.

In fairness, "TV Movie" does not mean bad and it is not impossible for this to be half decent. Alas, I have practically no faith in their abilities to create good television, especially with a concept so very tied in with Discovery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you hit the key overall aspect: there's clearly no faith in this, either via its script or the perceived audience's appetite. To the extent I still wonder to myself if there's some kind of contractual obligation going on here, that someone is entitled to a Section 31 production and best PAramount would offer was a 90 minute TV movie ... sorry, an original movie event don'tcha know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh God. SO much leather. SO much backstabbing. SO much moustache twirling...

(A parody but is anyone expecting more?)

I had hoped that the excellent Yeoh would have been able to get out of this now that she FINALLY received the acclaim she has deserved for so long. I HATE the Mirror Universe. I thought Section 31 was interesting idea but prone to camp (Even in DS9. Nevermind its extensive use in season whatever - don't care - of Discovery). As I mentioned before, this has the potential to be campier than Graham Norton presenting a Eurovision Sing-Along in a campsite at Glastonbury.

"Made-for-streaming". 202X version of "Movie of the week" or "Straight to video". ie. Not expecting much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,569 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

I liked the mirror universe in DS9, generally provided some campy fun nonsense against the usual heavier material of the other episodes.

The only thing I would find jarring(and this generally happens across all of Star Trek) is how commonplace a profound discovery like jumping into an alternate dimension became! At the end of these episodes it was always okay so I’m off back to my own dimension/time, take it easy

Lower Decks has thrown a few digs at how casual Starfleet crews are to time travel, mirror universes, Crystalline Entities and Q's

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

You know the worst thing about this ongoing S31 nonsense.

It reminds me of the first episodes of Discovery and how much I would have liked a show around Captain Georgiou

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Michelle Yeoh is enjoying something of a career renaissance ATM, so she might have become priced out of it somewhat, but a Georgiou show could still have made use of Yeoh's action prowess. Mind you, Jason Isaacs was a fine replacement - until the moment Disco yet again shat the bed that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"a concept so very tied in with Discovery" except it isn't. The Mirror Universe has been around since TOS, Section 31 since DS9. The only Disco connection is Giorgiou/Michelle Yeoh.

I absolutely get that people don't like Disco - I've been unable to watch since it turned out starships are giant hollow spaces with videogame-like platforms whizzing all over the place - but I don't get why people are **** over a show/TV movie that hasn't come out yet and all we know about is it's got a star of Yeoh's calibre, and uses Section 31 as its background.

Sure, it might be a turd. But - it might not be?

LITERALLY my reaction when Jason Isaacs (Great actor, interesting do-what-it-takes character) was revealed as being from the MU:

The DS9 mirror universe was way too campy and never should have been explored to the level it was. Disco took the camp and turned it up to Ru Paul writing a BDSM themed panto level. S31 also should not have been explored too much. They have badges to point out their secretness FFS. They dress in black leather with black badges and black ships "hmmm I wonder if they might be eeevvvvvillllll"

I 100% guarantee that like the Borg the more we learn about S31 the shtter it will become.

If you want the show to be dark don't give your "do what it takes" captain a silly reason to be evil and actually have him as a Starfleet captain who crosses the line.

It's like DS9 failing at being progressive by only having Dax be bi for "Trill reasons". At least they did have Treks first DDLG relationship with Garek and Ziyal 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Are we all meant to forget that Emperor Georgiou had absolutely slaughtered millions and literally parktook in genocidal fascism. We're just meant to forgive all that because of a timey wimey episode.

It's bizarre she gets a film. Space Hitler, the sequel.

All Eyes On Rafah

Yes: and this is part of the Text too 'cos let's not forget that scene where Disco's crew had a party for her, making big emotional speeches about what an inspirational girl boss she was. Even Tilly, a woman who the Empress was a gigantic c*nt to, was given scriptwriting head trauma so she could talk about Georgiou's tough love.

Fúck me, every time I or someone else makes me think about Discovery I get the kind of irrationally angry about pop culture normally reserved for YouTube neckbeards - or my youth in college.

She ATE Saru's people...

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,272 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

yeah but you can't hold that against her because... it was a sanctioned cull and they were damn tasty.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Especially the ganglia, nom nom nom.

Michael Sarek's mommy issues > galaxy wide genocidal sadistic torturer.

Let history never forget that Space Hitler and Lorca went to war over which one got to be with the child they groomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

This kind of feeds into earlier point about this show being potentially so «tied in» with Discovery. It has nothing much to do with the Mirror Universe or S31 itself, what I meant was the abysmal writing surrounding both elements in Discovery that I fear would carry over to a S31 show made by them.

The scene of Tilly describing Space Hitler as a «bad ass» is also still etched in my memory. We know well she’d easy watch Tilly drown to death and not lift a finger beyond maybe getting a drink to enjoy with the view. That was incredibly bad writing.

• Advertisement

Oh, we have your guarantees? You should have said! I won't bother watching it now, so! 🙄

Post edited by TaurenDruid on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

To be fair to Space-Hitler, I'd do that too when it comes to Tilly

• Registered Users Posts: 31,555 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's a Discovery spin-off story about a Discovery character, written by Discovery writers, and directed by a Discovery director. I'm not sure how it could be any more tied in with Discovery. It does have Sam Richardson in it at least though, so that's something.

Strange New Worlds is a Discovery spin-off story written by Discovery writers, produced by Disco producers, directed by Disco directors...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,555 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You said it’s not “so very tied in” with Discovery - my post was showing that it clearly is.

On Strange New Worlds, there’s some crossover but thankfully also a lot of new blood including a new show-runner (the most important creative position) who had nothing to do with Discovery, and a whole bunch of new writers who had nothing to do with Discovery.

They wanted SNW to be something different so staffed accordingly - so the fact everyone involved in S31 is from Discovery tells you something about the intended tone and feel. I’ve no idea if it’ll be good or not, but - especially just as a one-off rather than its own series - it’s likely to be built upon the tone already established for the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

That's a year old. She is the only dead Borg queen I believe.

Never heard of any of them. Will be hard to have Burnham in the story other than flashbacks.

She died last year; it's a January 2023 article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Advertisement