Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yes, i have a sprite can and a bottle of 7-up which is not on the list.

As for whats on the list i have a few coca-cola's (zero sugar), a spite can that says zero sugar, dr pepper bottle, fanta cans (both the normal shaped can and the narrow tall american looking cans) canned cofe, canned fizzy water, ballygown and tiparery spring water bottles (have not gotten around to checking deep riverrock yet) volvic 2 litre bottles. a bunch of alochohal cans too

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Jaysus, that’s a lot of popular stuff.

Let us know if they are accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've a bunch of cans of San Pellegrino Lemon I bought before Christmas that is on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Noted! i shall indeed!

for i am the BoardsBottler, the master of the cans and bottles!

would it be a bad idea for me to look into contacting Guinness book of records?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What happens with home deliveries, do they take back the cans and bottles, money off shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No they don't.

There was a waffley interview given before Xmas saying that it's likely the stores would look into it but it ain't happening any time soon.

Another kick in the plums for those who are being environmentally conscious by shopping online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

THINK THIS will be a great fundraiser for scouts youth clubs etc…donate ur cans to them and they recycle them……….100 cans =15euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Might as well publish items where barcodes mean prizes despite no entry fee...

5449000000439 - Coca Cola 1.5 litre bottles (25 cent)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Whoa! How the hell did they exceed capacity of paper / space in the machine on day 1. When some shops are not even selling returnable stock, and others items are being rejected.

M

Dunnes are currently selling 3 bottles for €5, get yourself 15 bottles for €25, use the €5 off €25 voucher so you get 15 bottles for €20 which works out as €1.08 a bottle when you bring the bottle back to the RVM for the 25c refund, then invest the savings in to shares in the diabetes drug maker Novo Nordisk and retire aged 50, almost too easy this finance lark 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

So I put the bottle into machine got a voucher for 25c !

Kids will be looking for bottles in recycling bin to get extra shop money for weekend.

Observation - machine has conveyor belt to take in bottle. I felt that was bit wasteful in energy for an environmental scheme. But guess that is so won't scan same bottle twice.

I threw together a quick page over lunch where you can enter the barcode and check it.

You could copy and paste it form google photos/lens if you didn't feel like typing it.

I'm 100% not liable if it's wrong, but I pulled the data out of that PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭n.d.os

So it turns out today that products made outside of Ireland won't have a Re-turn logo on them but the price still goes up. Bit of a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It may be generic as one of the ones in my local SV claimed to be out of paper all through December.

M

Those shopping up North will be getting those items additionally discounted when they return them here, not good for businesses near the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) FAQ's, goes LIVE today 1/02/2024, see link below

Prepare to be confused customers. :-)

All PET bottles and Aluminum cans will carry a deposit cost to you.

15c on plastic bottles and cans 150ml to 500ml.

25c on plastic bottles and cans 500ml to 3 Ltr

All appropriate packaging will carry new DRS logo, supermarkets will indicate DRS charge on shelf ticket & receipts.

Once you return DRS logo packaging you will receive a receipt from the vending machine, you can present at checkouts/ self service tills.

Both logo'd and non logo'd DRS packagingwill be available during transition periodup to 15th March 2024.

So any old packaging or stock in stores,warehouses , distribution centres may not be DRS compliant yet. So you just dispose of non logo'd DRS in the normal way.

ALL PACKAGING WILL/MUST BE DRS COMPLIANT FROM 1st June 2024, not sure though who is responsible for enforcement.

https://re-turn.ie/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAn-2tBhDVARIsAGmStVnidLECP77jJqSrJk8TwrTw1KRrAe9UHTnR1J36ARFHz5xU5M3A1aEaAlhUEALw_wcB#questions

Quality stuff. I certainly hope the pdf is accurate.

i was in my local Tesco there. That Tropicana bottle pictured earlier had +15c on the SEL.

I'd imagine it's as accurate as an input for the machines.

I suspect it'll get updated, so if anyone ever gets an update, do ping me and I can update the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭DaSchmo

RTE just did a lovely puff piece on it, lots of voxpops and interviews. Running like clockwork, everyone thinks it's wonderful, nothing to see here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I bought a can of coke in Mace on Monday, no logo, flags as returnable via RVM. I’ll try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Drinks containers from 150ml – 3 litres featuring the Re-turn logo are included in the Scheme

*To prevent waste, for a limited period from 1 February, there will be some stock of plastic bottles and cans that may not feature the Re-turn logo. Should consumers be charged a deposit on these drinks containers, please be assured that you will get your deposit back when you return empty and undamaged to RVM Deposit Return Points nationwide. 

Website got updated. They have known about it for weeks according to Irelands most apathetic man, the CEO of re-turn.

"limited time" - "some stock".

The communication on this is still top class.

Also "to prevent waste" - more fúcking lies. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

They will still have the logo.

Example is Galway bay brewing. They have 3 or 4 different return logos for different markets including the Irish one.

There is talk of an EU wide symbol coming at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭nachouser

These yokes are the new electronic voting machines. Giving out paper refund tickets is a nice retro touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have the same cans and they come back as not returnable!

So what apparently happened was the penny dropped with Re-Turn a few weeks ago. (This scheme has been in the works for 4-5 years.)

There was always going to be a few items that avoided paying the deposit but could claim it back through the RVM, this was written off.

Until someone actually did their job and found out these products could number 800+ and counting.

The loss of money to the scheme would be massive.

So they shít themselves and tried to force the wholesalers and retailers to dump all their stock (environmental) and only supply stock with the logo and proper barcode.

The wholesalers and retailers told them go fúck themselves, so there was a list cobbled together since Monday, a growing list apparently with 800 products that retailers need to apply the deposit to. Some retailers only got the list yesterday.

Another problem now is not everything on the list is being accepted by the RVMs and of course their is no logo so if you managed to find a shop doing manual returns they couldn't do it anyway. No one knows what this number is or what products it applies to, so you have to go to the machine to find out. It's like a shít lotto.

So people are getting robbed with absolute no recourse for a return of their money. So some stores have said fúck it, we are not applying the deposit to any product because we do not want to rob our customers or end up getting abused by victims of the con.

The CEO of this scheme was on television Monday night telling the nation that unless the product had a logo it did not qualify for the scheme.

But remember people!

This is "Convenient for Everyone".

Although that claim seems to have mysteriously been removed or moved from their website. So at least there is that. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I put in the link posted earlier to check eligibility for return and computer said no. I did not check the list. Where is the list?

Edit: I checked Return site and it said it was eligible for return (san Pellegrino limonata can)

Scotland got close to a 100 million spent before they pulled the plug.

I wonder what our number will be?

Just in case anyone isn't old enough to get the e-voting machines reference.

That is Noel Dempsey in the photo.

When everyone was being forced into private bin collection and a separation of the waste.

Noel came out with the famous line that the only thing the Irish people will react to is hitting them in the pocket. -sic.

Good to see that spirit alive and well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Scotland is still doing it, just waiting for Westminster to do it for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement