Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nobody saw Red Bull troubling Mercedes-Benz in 2021 because the new regulations got delayed by a year, yet they actually did. Who's to say it won't happen again this or next year

For that comparison to be valid we’d need a rule change that specifically targets Red Bull and any Racing Point style copy cat and specifically benefits their competitors. (High rake v low rake) That’s not the case going in to 2024. In all likelihood it will just be more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

I agree. I’ve big respect for Hamilton but have never really warmed to his personality and built a natural dislike to the constant, sometimes unchallenged dominance.

I never wanted him to overtake Schumacher and get the 8th world title, but I’d find it acceptable if he somehow was to bring one to Ferrari!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Also interesting looking back now that monster energy kept their personal sponsorship with Hamilton while ending it with Merc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

So the most exciting part of the 2024 season is done before the lights go out on the first fp1 🤣🤣

Mad theory here. Merc have a good car they all know it. They are confident he can get 8 this year then live the golden years out in Ferrari like seb and Kimi 🤣 /s

Sainz to mince meat punch Forza horizon team. Alonso to Merc, Yuki to Aston, stroll to do us all a favour and leave and be replaced by their reserve driver.

Bottas or Zhou to go to make way for the smooth operator. Danny to RB middle of this season. Only fans PayPal RB 2 to get Liam Lawson and maybe some young up and coming driver. Rest of the teams unchanged. And Russell to.be in a huff the whole time cause he is still a number 2 🤣

• Advertisement

I kind of hoped Schumacher’s records would never be matched but more to the point I didn’t believe it would ever happen. Anyone around 30 or over will have grown up with Fangio’s record of 5 having stood for nearly 50 years. It was probably a bigger deal at the time when Schumacher matched that than when he surpassed it.

Felt like once in a lifetime stuff at the time. Took just 16 years for the next driver to achieve 7, the rate Max is going the wait may be shorter again for the next driver to hit 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Interesting day of news. So what reg changes do we have this year that might allow a team jump another. I know general concept is the same but has anything else tightened?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

RB were catching Merc for a few years, they won races in 2019 and 2020 on pure pace, plus those were changes made due to Covid, they were tweaks rather than reg changes like 2022.

Perhaps not. Remember they announced that they were moving to McLaren? Well we've had the livery reveal and Monster isn't there. Something must have fell through.

He's being posting pictures from the years he was racing. He started with being born in 87 and he's up to 2010 now. Social media have just ran with that picture of "10"

• Advertisement

I'd actually forgotten about Mclaren, could be a case of adding it in before the season starts? I could be wrong but I don't remember any sponsor on the Merc cars. Reports stay Monster is worth 60 billion which would be a massive loss for Mclaren if it did fall through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Harika

Reuters have following list of replacements

The following looks at the possible options for Mercedes and the questions raised.

CARLOS SAINZ, 29

The Spaniard whose place has been taken by Hamilton would be a straight swap. He has, however, been considered a top target for Audi, who are taking over Sauber and entering as a works team in 2026. He would be the likely number one there, and Audi have strong connections with his father who won last month's Dakar Rally with them. Would either he or Mercedes want to do a deal for one year or would he be open to a longer one?

ALEX ALBON, 27

The ex-Red Bull driver has been a big hit with Mercedes-powered Williams, scoring all but one of their points last season and hauling them up to seventh overall. Williams are run by James Vowles, who was previously a close confidant of Mercedes principal Toto Wolff as that team's head of motorsport strategy. A deal for Albon, an old friend and rival of George Russell who also graduated from Williams, would surely be straightforward.

ANDREA KIMI ANTONELLI, 17

The 17-year-old Italian is yet to debut in Formula Two but considered a big talent for the future and already under contract to Mercedes. If not ready for the former champions, he might be offered to Williams to get experience.

MICK SCHUMACHER, 24

Michael Schumacher's son is the official reserve. His seasons with Haas were difficult and he is now on the roster of endurance drivers with Renault-owned Alpine. Michael raced for the team, his place taken by Hamilton in 2013, but Mick looks a long shot compared to other options.

ESTEBAN OCON, 27

A Mercedes-backed junior driver and reserve and preparing for his eighth season in F1 and fifth with Renault/Alpine. The team rated him very highly but he may have slipped down the list of options by now.

VALTTERI BOTTAS, 34

Hamilton's team mate before Russell replaced the Finn, who will be out of contract at Sauber at the end of the year and whose place could go to Sainz. He knows all the people at Mercedes but a return would surely be unlikely.

FERNANDO ALONSO, 42

The evergreen double world champion is out of contract at Aston Martin at the end of the year but showing no sign of wanting to stop and still looking highly competitive.

SEBASTIAN VETTEL, 36

Could Germany's four-times world champion be persuaded to come out of retirement and make a comeback, just as Schumacher did in 2010? Vettel, at 36, is younger than Hamilton. He didn't entirely rule out a return when he left Aston Martin in 2022.

If Antonelli dominates F2 might be the logical choice. Russell has the experience what rules out Bottas, Alonso. Vettel might be a surprise pick. Ocon as a race winner. Mercedes has a year to choose, so don't expect an announcement anytime soon. Sainz is Audibound. Mick never convinced in F2 or at Haas. Albon outside runner to park Antonelli there.

I just can’t see Alonso going there, AM will have Honda for 2026, so if he stays that is effectively a works team, same as RB with RBPT/Ford, Ferrari and Merc and Alpine.

You can see why RB, McLaren and Ferrari all signed their start drivers for long term contracts, Merc can’t snap them up now.

If I had to just guess, get Seb back, why not?

For anyone interested in the details of the 2014 rule change and order shift, this video is really fantastic. In a nutshell, with RB being a Renault customer, it was doomed compared to works teams.

Its pretty much why they have RBPT set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I dont think that's necessarily true. I think RB don't need a driver to challenge max. They don't need to gey maximum points to win both championships. Max is so far ahead they would be well advised to listen to Sergio to get the car more to his liking. Max winning by 30 seconds vs winning by 40 seconds makes no difference. Sergio finishing a race10 seconds faster could be the difference between 4th and 2nd.

Why spend big money on a second driver? Sergio brings $30m and costs $10m. So that's $20m profit. Alonso would cost a fortune so. They'd lose money. There's just very little incentive to replace Sergio eith a driver that would cost a fortune

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"just can’t see Alonso going there, AM will have Honda for 2026, so if he stays that is effectively a works team, same as RB with RBPT/Ford, Ferrari and Merc and Alpine"

I could. I think Alonso at Mercedes woukd not be is worst decision and even if the car was crap I could still see Alonso getting a few wins in it. One thing is for sure it will be not as bad as it was with the size 0 sidepods.

As for Aston Martin and Honda there is no guarantee that it will work out and be a good car. It could be Honda Mclaren all over again except with Aston now.

I also think once Red Bull start using there new Ford RBPT that till will be on the back foot for a while and not out front then it will either be Mclaren or Ferrari or Mercedes or even Alpine if they get there **** together. One thing is for sure there are interesting times ahead in F1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

It’s hard to know how long Alonso’s willing to wait so a potential improvement in 2 years time may not be appealing. Aston Martin lost the early season development during H2 last season so you would have to weigh up what direction they could go versus Mercedes in the interim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Silverstone is gonna be like Monza 2.0 with a sea of red.

Already seen it referred to as the Tea-fosi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Its going to be strange having the Japanese Grand Prix in April. Was so used to having it in October.

Good points.

2026 is a big change, but literally any team could nail it and be off. RB also hired buckets of Mercedes engine people over the last few years, clever move seeing how right they got the last engine change.

i wouldn’t write off RB or AM, especially how well Honda have turned out to be now with RB. RB have identified the big issue that left them standing in 2014 and took measures to address it, as have AM.

I guess all teams will be doing that as best they can.

Hopefully will go better than the ill fated switch of Silverstone to April back in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Weather might be a little less monsoon-y in April though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Yes was looking at this the other day. Disappointing. Looking at the calendar the whole logistics on saving time, fuel and man hrs also been more friendly on economy you can clearly see it's not the case. First four races if you were looking at been environmentally friendly should been Bahrain, Saudi, Qatar and Abu would be the first four races. Final four should of been Singapore, China, Japan and Australia.

But yea will miss Suzuka in Oct something about time of year for that track.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Re. the hypothetical Alonso decision, which headline is instinctively more likely in 2025?

‘Mercedes bring challenge to Red Bull, winning three of the first four races of the season.’

‘Aston Martin prove their worth with another early-season win.’

To me the first is maybe three times as likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭McFly85

I suspect Suzuka moving is also to avoid clashing with the rainy season in Japan? It was a total washout 2 years ago and even getting the cars back to the pits was not without danger with the visibility being so low.

April is quite pleasant there and it’s cherry blossom season so it’s a nice time to have it there.

I am just glad we still have that race, and that we will have it for a few years more.

• Advertisement

Title of the video: ""Not a surprise" | Toto Wolff on Lewis Hamilton's SHOCK Ferrari move"

And then this article:

Consistent as ever, from Toto.

Advertisement