Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

"There is nothing in the proposed wording that could be said to require the recognition of durable relationships with three or more partners as the foundation of a family"

If that were true, then they would define durable relationships as between 2 people, AND have some ancillary language that stipulates a person can only have 1 marriage at a time.

Of course, we all know that in reality, there will be (and are) polygamous families here, they are just ones that the State doesn't recognize. By passing this amendment as currently worded, it will only be a matter of time before someone challenges the State's not recognising their polygamous family. While a court might today, strike such a challenge down, I'm doubting a future court will.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No.

We voted again on divorce but there was a lot of social and legislative change in the intervening 9 years.

We voted again on abortion but even more social change, and it took 35 years.

We voted again after rejecting two EU treaties on low turnouts on completely ridiculous and false No campaign arguments. Each treaty was amended to address the concerns, even though they were ridiculous. On a much larger turnout, each one was passed.

Of course an electorate can change its mind. That's the reason we have general elections on a recurring basis...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

after rejecting two EU treaties on low turnouts on completely ridiculous and false No campaign arguments. Each treaty was amended to address the concerns, even though they were ridiculous.

What were the major concerns again? I think I remember abortion, corporate tax rate, and something about our neutrality. With Micheal Martin looking to remove the triple lock on that, it's not looking too good

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

I won't directly address your points although I will point out that I never mentioned marriage or polygamous relationships as I consider the focus on the potential definition of "durable relationships" as a bit of a red herring designed to deflect attention away from the main purpose of the referendum which is to remove the Constitutional obligation of the State to support carers either within or outside the home.

An altruistic government could have proposed something very similar to the following as amendment no. 39 to Article 41:

2.2 In particular, the State recognises that by her their life within the home, woman a *home maker gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2.2 the State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers a home maker shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

3 1° the state pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the family is founded, and to protect it against attack.

*Anyone - male, female, single or married - who receives carers allowance, benefit etc is already classed as homemaker and would have Constitutional protection. The definition of and legislation for the term home maker is already in place and in widespread usage.

By removing "on which the family is founded" means the Constitutional protection for one parent families, unmarried families etc. would be equal to that of married families. There would be no need to wait for the Supreme Court to define who is or is not entitled to be considered part of a durable relationship.

Simple, straight forward, easy for the citizen to understand and more in tune with what the citizens assembly and various other groups have recommended over the last 30 years. I would love to hear O'Gorman (or any other government or opposition TD who supports the proposed convoluted wording) try to explain how the government proposal grants more absolute Constitutional protection to both carers and families not based on marriage. It quite obviously does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

From page 1……….What does this gender equality referendum mean in practical terms?

Too soon to say with any confidence — we haven't seen the wording of the proposed amendment to the Constitution. An Oireachtas committee has suggested some draft wording, but we don't know yet if the Government will accept any of those recommendations.

What we do know, at least, is that the Citizen's Assembly recommended deletion of the existing wording in Art 42.2 that referred to the importance of a woman's "life within the home" and its replacement with wording "that is not gender specific and obliges the State to take reasonable measures to support care within the home and wider community". So maybe expect something like that?

Why not just change woman to primary carer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

"Why not just change woman to primary carer?"

I suggested "homemaker" as that is already defined and includes everyone who is in receipt of the various government carer supports. Primary carer would work just as well and that is all that needs to be done to gender proof the Article. There is never a need to delete a right from the Constitution especially if the full benefit of it it has not been tested through the courts.

I see The National Women's Council of Ireland have turned off comments on their posts on twitter, probably due to the overwhelming negative response to them advocating a yes vote,

None of those issues had anything to do with the EU, and still don't.

The triple lock was one of Bertie Ahern's worse brainfarts.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Twitter has always been full of misgynist trolls but with ordinary posters leaving the platform in droves, they make up a huge proportion of what's left now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Yeah, that. Or the fact that the NWCI believes anyone can stick on a dress and be a woman has annoyed, y’know, actual women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I had a good laugh at the NWCI twitter page myself, I mentioned it here last week, I am not surprised they turned off comments on their twitter page, the amount of Irish women who were lacerating them was off the charts....including at least one female member of the Oireachtas!

The class of people who had the run of twitter since it's foundation to themselves and whatever narrative they want to push is over...no wonder the rhetoric has been pumped up by the political class over the last few months regarding the new ownership of the platform. They are getting beat by the same stick that was used to beat those with opposing views and they don't like it!! Watch the BBC interview with Musk in recent times to witness for yourself how impotent the media and political class have become!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Women do really hate women, don't they?

The comments are almost full of people who hate their own gender.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"There is nothing in the proposed wording that could be said to require the recognition of durable relationships with three or more partners as the foundation of a family."

Equally there is nothing in the proposed wording that could be said to exclude the recognition of durable relationships with three or more partners as the foundation of a family.

"Durable relationship" is open ended and subject to interpretation. There is no legal definition of a durable relationship?

As to the rest of your point, culture changes quickly - when we met as a couple, we lived together for several years despite that being mildly unusual at the time, only marrying when we decided to start a family. Now it'd almost be the exception to not live together prior to marriage (or not as this referendum seeks to facilitate).

Ditto for polyamory and possibly related polygamy. We may not see much open examples now but as likely to proliferate if we facilitate it with lazy definitions like durable relationship. Partic as associated with different cultural norms we are inviting/ sucking into the state.

There were a couple posts yesterday regarding the referendum that had comments turned off, and then this one as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Accusing women of unwittingly harbouring internalised misogyny if they don't toe the feminist NGO is like, so 2010s.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Following a succesful vote, What legal rights will anyone have, that they dont have today?

With 'durable relationship' being undefined, we don't know

I was going to say "we do know the state won't have any more legal obligations though" (with regard to carers)

but with 'durable relationship' being undefined...

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They did it with the Lisbon treaty remember.. It's not without precedent.

Although that one was to keep our "friends" in Europe happy. This one is yet another social referendum to distract from far more immediate and pressing issues and which is assumed will pass because on the face of it (if you don't bother to do any research into it - which many won't), who could object to what is being positioned as simple and logical updates for 21st century Ireland’s family life.

I figure turn out will probably be low and those who vote will be people who will directly benefit or the usual "on message" crusaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

That particular one pretty clearly would result in a load of angry antivaxxers going after the likes of the incredibly effective hpv vaccine. In relation to the other kind of tweets going at them, a lot of it is frankly nasty rather than insightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Maria Steen on with Brendan O’Connor now, outlining why she’ll be voting No.

Another, clear, reason to vote Yes on these.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In terms of being a stay at home mother, she's got a fair bit of wealth which allows a lot more freedom to do so. Even the concept of a stay at home mother, not all families even have mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Economics101

Are you advocating a "yes" vote just because Maria Steen is on the "no" side?

More seriouesly this reflects a typical left MSM tactic: put someone up on the side you disapprove of who is bound to rile people for other reasons. Or even in some cases put a total idiot up on the side you you disapprove of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The last person I heard advocating a No vote was Brenda Power. I hadn’t looked into the details much up to then. Gave me a good steer on where to go though. After hearing Steen today I Just need to hear Rónán Mullin to complete the trifecta.

Holy Joes and rightwing flutes trying, desperately, to keep the population under the heal of the church’s legacy.

Steen is floundering here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

NWCI have a biological man on the executive board, and use the term "people with a cervix". Talk about trying to erase biological women. That NGO is advocating YES, so all in our house are firmly voting NO.

The media can't help it if the campaigners on the No side are idiots...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Doubtless there are a fair number of people who will vote on that basis. I didn't hear much of Maria Steen, but I did hear the woman on before her advocating a Yes vote on both refs. She was very passionate and made some good points. When Brendan put it to her that the state has a mechanism where families can get the rights they need, which has no reference to religion etc - ie marriage, she replied, as a single mother, that she couldn't force her partner to marry her, which is a fair point. At the same time though, I really struggle to understand what rights non marital families don't have, that the constitution prevents the state from legislating for. The recent case decided by the Supreme Court shows that far from preventing equality for non-marital families, the constitution actively requires it in many contexts, in spite of the section on the family.

Someone made another good point here a few weeks ago, that many countries get along fine without this kind of stuff in their constitution at all. So, if we're to do anything here, then just removing the whole section on the family from the constitution might be best in my opinion. Let the Oireachtas deal with each issue as it arises, unconstrained by any archaic language in the constitution. But, I suspect most campaigners wouldn't be happy with that, because they would prefer to have vague aspirational language in the constitution, and then take their chances that activist judges will turn it into real rights that can't be overridden by legislators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I posted back at the beginning of the thread about who they would have to dredge up to "balance" the debates on the no side.

It seems some posters don't like that mirror being shown to them.

Advertisement