Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

There was unmatchable DNA found on Sophie’s boot. It did not match Bailey. Afaik that’s the only untraceable DNA that was found at the scene.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What I and others are saying though is that the evidence doesn't point towards Bailey. Two different DPPs also felt this (and bear in mind that if anything, the "evidence" against Bailey has decreased now that Farrell's nonsense has been disclosed).

Others feel that simply because the man was a complete c**t should mean that he's guilty. Some would rather see Bailey go down (posthumously) for the murder rather than a proper evidence based investigation take place.

Maybe Bailey is the murderer, maybe he is not. However, given the facts we have to date, there is nothing to link him to the scene, nothing to link him to the murder, nothing to connect him even to the victim in any way. The man was fully cooperative with the investigation. He may have forgotten some detaiuls which he later corrected (others seem to think he was lying but again the DPP refutes this). There is no plausible motive. There possible is not even plausible opportunity given that she may have been murdered in the morning.

So to answer your question, we can't rule him out. Nor can we rule out loads of people that we know of in the area. Nor can we rule out people that we don't know of yet. But given the facts, AGS appear to have ruled everyone out except Bailey to the point that they even altered evidence to make him look guilty (and we know this has happened a number of times in the past with high-profile cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

One of the major pieces of the (already flimsy) Garda case against Bailey is that he was scratched at the scene though. So it is hard to reconcile that with lack of forensics tying him to the scene.

So the mute point is that as a piece of evidence against Bailey specifically.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I’m not arguing either way but no dna off anyone except some on her boot, surely isn’t an indicator of either innocence or guilt? Especially as the body was left out for 36hrs or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Indeed - it’s as simple as that - and even if you think Bailey might have done it , if people want to play armchair detective to pass the time then fine but I do have to laugh at people who believe Bailey did it, have figured out how he did it. and if anyone disagrees, keeps asking “what’s your theory then?” like a little school kid. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

• "So to answer your question, we can't rule him out. Nor can we rule out loads of people that we know of in the area. Nor can we rule out people that we don't know of yet. But given the facts, AGS appear to have ruled everyone out except Bailey to the point that they even altered evidence to make him look guilty (and we know this has happened a number of times in the past with high-profile cases)."

And above we have the explaination why these threads about this murder are so self sustaining.His detractors can't see anyone in the frame other than Bailey.His supporters suggest he is only as viable a suspect as every other resident/tourist in the county that day.

They got lots of DNA from the scene - all Sophies except for that one rogue sample on the boot. So not sure how much the 36 hours is as a factor.

Its an indicator of Baileys innocence if all you have to put him at the scene are the scratches.

It might suggest whoever carried out the murder wore gloves and was forensically aware in that moment. Or just very very lucky.

Just to pick up on the word "supporters" that you chose to use: I don't think Bailey has any supporters but there are people who would like to see justice being made in a fair manner and not the absolute investigative shambles we've had to date

Terribly sadly happened in a “good” area of London very recently

• Advertisement

I got annoyed initially here re Ian Bailey, but when going through it all , thinking it through , it’s not black & white and justice should be done. Of the man didn’t plan a murder or don’t have the will to go miles to commit the diabolical offence as it happened and also cover tracks, well that ought to be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Your first paragraph touches upon a point not often appreciated. Much commentary on this case paints a picture of Sophie as a beautiful film producer living a glamorous life among the rich and famous, yet the ungarnished truth is that she was a nobody with only a couple of minor producing/acting credits and, frankly, not especially glamorous. Her sole claim to fame was being married to Daniel - yet she was divorcing him and didn't even go by Toscan du Plantier in Ireland, using her maiden name instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I only posted about this in the last couple of days - but the 'fifty injuries' *may* be a misreading of the autopsy report. I've read (but can't confirm now) that these injuries included those due to briars etc - as such, it's entirely plausible that the number of attack injuries may actually be relatively few (but I don't know this either).

It's entirely plausible to me that this wasn't a planned murder or rage attack at all. A disagreement/argument at the gate (leaving aside for the moment the matter of with who, and about what) that gets suddenly and unexpectedly out of hand. Maybe Sophie smacks Mr X across the face and he instinctively inflicts a serious injury using something he's carrying, without even thinking about it. She runs and he realises he's doing time for this if it gets out so decides to finish the job and stoves her head in with a block.

Regarding the who and the why - again I feel a very underappreciated aspect to the case is just what the hell Sophie was doing there in the first place? Travelling over for a short few days on her own to bleak West Cork in December and returning on Christmas Eve / Day - ostensibly to let a tradesmen in to fix the boiler was it? Really? Is that plausible? I don't buy it for a second. I believe her friend also said that Sophie seemed down about the visit and referred to needing to "sort something out" (or words to that effect). Seems reasonable to me to not rule out that Sophie had a pretty serious problem in Cork that she travelled over to sort out / draw a line under but things went awry. Surely it's at least as plausible as the Bailey theory anyway!

So I know y’all LOVE The Daily Mail😀

Anyway, I won’t post the link to yesterdays story but just to say, there was a terrible murder in the UK a while ago by a “rogue builder” who killed a pensioner with a hammer in her home (May she rest in peace) - she had similar “sounding” injuries to Sophie.

They showed CCTV stills pictures of the killer right after the killing leaving her home- he had very obvious blood staining on his clothing and work trousers (beige colour I think)

Maybe you can see why I didn’t post the article now- I just feel it’s not necessary -

but my main point is, whoever killed Sophie, would have had a considerable amount of VISUAL “evidence” on them - something a stream washing certainly wouldn’t have done away with - a shower would have taken time to remove evidence- but for clothing something a like bleach bath wouldn’t have done away with.

To appear at 9am the following day, functioning, appearing normal, and with any evidence of bloodied clothing done away with - its a tough one to believe .

WRT the fifty injuries, I'm just taking it from the DPP report (pg 42)...

What is uncommon is the brutal form of murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier whereby she suffered the infliction of approximately 50 wounds.

I can't see briar cuts being included in this figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I have read most of the comments on here some saying IBdid it more saying he didn’t and with two dpp s not prosecuting it hard to know what to believe. Sophie coming to west cork obviously proved fatal in the end but with her previous trips I am wondering did she have callers who called and helped her drink the vino etc. As the murder was so vicious I find it hard to believe that any fellow that got rejected would go as far as to what happened. To me that leaves another scenario did some woman who suspected her husband was thieving find a key in his pocket and decided to call around and sort this out, as the saying goes a woman scorned etc etc, husband would probably have kept a closed trap afterwards

Also (as its referred to above), if Bailey was the murderer and felt the need to clean himself up after the murder, then surely the more sensible choice would have been to do this on his way home e.g. Dunmanus.

Kealfadda Bridge would have been well out of his way so putting himself at risk of being seen by walking further whilst covered in blood wouldn't have been the choice made by someone who had the sense to clean all tracesiof DNA, fingerprints, etc. from a crime scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Would love to know what the neighbours brought to the dump the next morning.

The “50” injuries number is a bit ambiguous and I think has been taken by some posters (not you necessarily) as 50 blows - maybe someone can post a clear reference but I believe that that figure involves looking at areas that experienced trauma and counting those trauma areas, amounting to approx 50 - it doesn’t mean 50 blows is how I interpret it -feel free to disagree but would like some expert references also if possible to try and clear that up.

• Advertisement

Reading this article (which doesn't give a figure) I'm still inclined to think that the injury figure doesn't include briar cuts...

Warning: the article describes some of the gruesome injuries inflicted on the poor woman

Always great to be reminded of why Bailey became a suspect - apparently he was “dressed well” and “didn’t ask enough questions” - that’s coming from a Garda - Columbo howareya! 🤪🤪🤪

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-told-why-he-felt-bailey-was-a-suspect/30201357.html

I read something to that effect. The dropping of the cavity block could have caused multiple injuries. It was 50 injuries not 50 blows.

Yeah I think most rational posters in general can agree 50 injuries doesn’t necessarily mean 50 blows - thanks. Some were building a picture of 50 blows by the killer - just a tad OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Anyways back to the other suspects.

Oddessy said earlier the hitman's gun jammed, and he was forced to improvise using what was around him. Not exactly sure what the initial weapon was, unlikely to have been the rock. Anyone want to speculate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I'd say not much more than a doz direct blows. How I remember it from reading various reports, so obviously only surmising. First blows were with a lighter object, a lump of wood perhaps. Then about five or six blows with the rock, probably as she was on the ground or in the briars. Then the block was used. Some wounds were made without any weapon; stamping on the chest and neck area for instance. I don't think there were any strangulation marks, though her eyes did show signs of choking. Wounds to the hands and arms mostly defensive trying to protect her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Imagine being next door to one of the most brutal killings in modern Ireland and you are waved on past the body on your way to the dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

His reasons were based on a previous assault by Mr Bailey on his partner, Jules Thomas

Baileys assault conviction was 2001, 5 years after the murder.

Now of course that lad can state anything he likes, Jesus told him it was Bailey, Skippy bounced up and told him or Lassie directed him towards Baileys house.

The reasoning outlining why Jules and Bailey were suspects and to be arrested were torn from the evidence books.

I think it is probably more plausible that written in the book was "Ah we have fúcked this, sure lets pin it on those British Bastards"! Instead of "I knew it was Bailey because he wasn't wearing wellies"

Ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Possibly destroying key forensic evidence without questions or searching of the car. Insane.

It really is one of many moments that show just how incompetent and clueless the gardai were. Idiots.

Advertisement