Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If I get let go I'll come back and let ye know how handy it was, completely due to mismanagement. I'll never find anything like it again if I'm gone. Not sure I'm able for normal work anymore! Always knew they were snakes. The bonus setup made it obvious, performance and profit based with no guarantee that the extra non-work related BS to get the higher payout would actually be paid. Not very motivating if it's not guaranteed, would sicken me to work hard for "soz, lol".

Then again, maybe I'll still have it. Not sure if not knowing or knowing is worse. As of right now, the ABK, MS and Embracer ex-employees have it worse. Really good article here thay basically sums up what we've all known and been sahing for years, layoffs at Ubi are only starting:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah that sucks @Potential-Monke

Fingers crossed it all goes well for you. As others have said, there are other jobs out there so don't feel any loyalty (I spent way too long not getting this) and follow the money/life you want. (I say this as someone who took a cut in the last job but have oodles more time now to do hobbies so ultimately happier)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just to note that this is still up on gog and on sale at the moment for less than a fiver.

Pick it up, it's a worthwhile experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sega gets in on the layoff action. Like a Dragon: 61 layoffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Especially bleak that at least some of their localisation workers are being laid off after Infinite Wealth, which is a perfect example of excellent localisation in action.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They purchased Atlus to have an excellent on site localisation team. Looks like it's getting gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Looks like a new Burnout game may be in development by the company that did the Burnout Paradise remaster.

Noice! Time is ripe for a decent crash racing game while everyone else tries to be Forza Horizon. Here's hoping there's no licensed cars so they can go mad and we'll never have to worry about it being delisted. Remake Burnout 3!!

Then again, a cat with a space helmet doesn't fit the Burnout theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's believed to be a Burnout game as it says you're about to be rear ended and they state the boss has issued no "take downs".

Tbh I'd go for a remaster of Burnout 3 now, even moreso if it includes Revenge.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

Fair! Makes sense it'll be a remaster of 3 so. Which is very good news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kojima cooking! New IP that sounds like he's continuing on from MGS. Will start production after Death Stranding 2 releases next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Apparently the new Prince of Persia metroidvania hasn't sold too well.

I think the game being on Ubisoft+, not available on Steam, and even though I ended up being very happy with it and got my money's worth it probably is overpriced for the type of game it is and would put people off. Plus Ubisoft games very very quickly go on sale and are then in every sale after that. A real shame though because Ubisoft finally doing something different and was a real joy to play will probably end up a flash in the pan as they'll think this kind of thing doesn't work and will resort back to their usual fare instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shoot; though you'd like to think raw sales don't entirely figure in the metric of something that's sub-AAA; extremely positive word of mouth surely helped, and maybe 300k is good for a game this "small"?

Man, if Ubisoft walk away from this thinking these risks and deviations from their usual slop isn't worth it, I'll be bitterly disappointed.

I think they definitely got their pricing wrong for the game, especially as it had so little hype behind it considering their usual marketing campaigns. Maybe given the base of the game they've built they could churn out a sequel much easier and try again. The trouble is it's Ubisoft. If it doesn't make all the money, it hasn't made enough money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

While it was a good game it was VERY Ubisoft, pay blah for hints, poor acting for the most part, obtrusive overlay on a PS5 game. I slid under an enemy and got a Ubisoft achievement banner which took up 20% of the screen.

People have been burned by Ubisoft way too much over the years to trust them.

I'm guessing the execs saw the success of Metroid Dread and overpriced it. PoP unfortunately doesn't have the pulling power of Metroid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This interview is worth a listen - rare to hear a developer of a AAA game (or AA, at least) talk so frankly about what happens when a game doesn't hit the way they wanted it to (although he notes sales picked up considerably during sales). It's still not a game I'm interested in, but a worthwhile post-mortem nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

I'd say this would have been a huge hit if it was shadow dropped on game pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Nice I'll listen to that later. It's so hard for new IP, and new single player IP to break through the swamp of online survival/ battle royale/ extraction/twitch fodder and get a foot hold.

I also think studios are too quick to announce the game didn't meet expectations. It puts people off trying it. I know this was a game that launched next to big time syncs that many said they would come back and pick it up later. But once a studio itself sets the expectation that it's not a game many people wanted to buy it is off putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love what i played of it on the demo but it needs to be priced to compete with other similar games like Hollow Knight and guacamelee. Just because a dev is AAA doesn't mean all their games need to be created/released as AAA. I'm waiting for a sale to pick it up but fully feel Ubisoft will take it as a sign that there need to go back to their open world blandness.

It’s something brought up in the Immortals interview above too - would they have been better off launching at a lower price?

Im certainly not of the opinion that the only full price games should be Sony AAA blockbusters or anything like that, but I do think some games would benefit from more flexible pricing tiers. Sure Ubisoft did that themselves with Assassins Creed last year. I know PoP wasn’t an 80 quid release either, but definitely feels like 30-40 quid would be more of a sweet spot for that sort of game.

Also: just release the game on Steam! You’re leaving sales on the table when it’s only on the Ubisoft store or Epic - and this hardly has the Alan Wake 2 excuse of being entirely funded by Epic.

I platinumed PoP, enjoyed the hell out of pretty much my entire time with it, and put close to 30 hours into it doing so. For a €50 game, to me that's a bargain.

But nothing about the game before release screamed "You will sink 20+ hours into this, this is worth €50". I took a chance on it mostly out of boredom and positive reviews, and it paid off. But to get the general audience to take a chance on it, Ubisoft would have been better releasing it in that €30-40 range, more people take a risk on it or think they'll hopefully get 10-15 hours from it, and end up being more surprised than not, which would also go a long way to spreading word of mouth about the game. Particularly when their usual AAA open-world 70 hour collectathon games are €70 minimum (base edition of the game, not the Ultra Gold Deluxe Silver Collectors Platinum Lead Magnesium Edition).

Whereas I bought Immortals of Whatevereum on sale at Christmas, put about 3 hours into it, and just couldn't be bothered playing it any more (hence the aforementioned boredom). Nothing about the story, gameplay or setting piqued my interest in any way other than seeing Gina Torres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Being a Ubisoft Connect exclusive on PC put me off getting it right away. I'm not a launcher snob, but it's C-tier at best of the ones I've installed. I've other things to be playing before I'd consider spending €50 on a game in an ecosystem that might work on Steam Deck with a bit of work...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe the other simple factor is, Metroid Prime aside, the market for Metroidvanias in general isn't that large? It might be ubiquitous in the indie space but always felt like a relatively niche genre across the mainstream. 300k for a multi-platform launch is a pretty weak return whatever way it's spun, but I'm definitely remaining hopeful the relative failure won't mean these not-AAA releases go the way of the dodo.

True. And indie developer would be over the moon of their metroidvania sold 300k.

I'm definitely not a launcher snob either, but was genuinely taken aback when I searched on Steam and the PoP game wasn't there. It's such an obvious fit for a game that would benefit from wide availability and portable Steam Deck play. Forcing people to take an extra few steps just to buy it is the kind of thing that'll cut a percentage of your sales right there, while also losing the discoverability Steam offers (even when a thousand other games are vying for space).

Again, I get why Alan Wake 2 is on the Epic Game Store only - it's frustrating and has probably lost a tonne of sales as a result, but the game probably wouldn't exist in its current form without Epic's money. But the stubbornness of Ubisoft in persisting with its own PC launcher and store is hard to square, especially when you can get first-party Microsoft and Sony games on Steam without any additional faff to worry about. Even taking account of the 30% Valve cut, surely the volume of sales you'd get on Steam would more than cover that, as it does on console.

Im with you thw whole way until the final paragraph. I really enjoyed PoP and I hope there are more of them because the gameplay is solid, it can look and play fantastic like in that video above, just need a bit more polish and a better story... But the gameplay more than makes up for it, and that far right biome was stunning to look at/traverse. Also very smart use of powers in general. I also traded Avatar into CEX and got €35 so PoP only cost me €15. I'm sure to get more than that when I trade it in this Saturday, so I feel like I got to play it to Platinum for free! Does sound like not putting it on Steam was a bad decision, aside from the €50 price tag which I actually think it's worth it. It'll sell a lot when it drops in price and goes to other platforms/launchers imo.

But I also loved Immortals, and was my GOTY because it was the one I got most enjoyment out of. It doesn't do anything new, but what it does do it does really well. Upgrades that actually make a difference, the story is meh but it doesn't hold you too long and lets you off doing your thing fairly quickly again. I actually ended up kinda enjoying the story in the end, and there is a plethora of lore if you really want to get into it. It's an intersting world, but a slow burner and once you start upgrading it really opens up, so maybe give it another spin when it's on GP/+. I also think it looked utterly stunning on PS5 in places, and the combat was really enjoyable in the end, a real spectacle at times. It just released in a phenomenal year for gaming in general and I only happened to play Spiderman 2 from the GOTY contenders. I'd love a sequel, magic FPS is fun!

• Advertisement

Finished PoP last night and hoo boy; tell me you're a AAA studio without telling me: how about the gigantic credits that even at fast speed took about 10 minutes to scroll through. Team Cherry this ain't.

Jesus that was grim reading; sounds like the guy had and still has a very tough life. Not that I thought he was living the life, but wouldn't have thought he was that hard up either. There's something about destitution in your 50s+ that scares the bejesus outta me

Advertisement