Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

They seem to have implemented their own barcode checker on the website...

https://re-turn.ie/consumer/#barcodechecker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks. Thats the one that have me a no. Return have a checker too and it said yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Some of those packages of smaller water may end up being delisted from stores. For some people, these were carry and bin when empty.

Will people keep them rather than bin. If they do, it's also going to be a task to keep some of the softer ones from getting crushed on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's exactly the format retailers were being told to use by re-turn, I'm not sure if it was legally binding or advisory, I'll see if i can find the post.

Edit: can't find the post but this is a screenshot from the retailer toolkit on the re-turn website.

I agree it should be universal, either they didn't do a good job of communicating this or they're being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

We're going off topic, but Aldi have an ongoing offer of 3x5 litre bottles for around €3.89. It's usually at the bottom of the SEL but not easily spotted.

It always pisses me off because I don't drive so have to buy them singly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 efb80

Welcome to boards

in Germany atm - I’ve no issue letting the down and outs make 15c from my bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bog master

Why are we being told we are so very poor at recycling and need this new scheme?

https://repak.ie/driving-change/recycling-targets/

Recycling and Recovery Statistics 2022

As of July 2023, we announced that Ireland surpassed every recycling and recovery target set for it by the European Union for the twenty fifth year in a row* with recycling rates as follows:

• Plastic at 32.7% (EU target 22.5%)
    • Paper at 75% (EU target 60%)
    • Metals at 69% (EU target 50%)
    • Glass at 85% (EU target: 60%)
    • Wood at 66% (EU target 15%)

In total in 2022*, Repak funded the recovery and recycling of over 1.1 million tonnes of packaging waste, an increase of 95,000 tonnes on 2020 (9% increase) and the highest volume recorded ever in Ireland (*subject to verifcation by the EPA).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

Remember the same type of outrage at the €0.05 levy on plastic bags .... it was as if the world was going end ... endless people on TV and radio telling us how it's was going to put people in the poor house and the struggle it will be to bring your own bags to the supermarket.

I also remember the hedges and ditches being absolutely littered with shredded plastic carrier bags ... some difference now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Apples and oranges.

That made a lot of sense, was fairly straightforward to implement and didn't involve mass jumping through hoops.

It also didnt punish those who were doing the right thing prior to the scheme coming in or indeed have so many variables at play. Unlike this scheme there weren't any alternative options to try either to get the desired outcome.

There's a shed tonne of people who somehow think this scheme was well thought out and planned, with all eventualities taken into account, which is plainly untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

I’ve defended the system over the past few weeks. Yesterday was more than teething problems, yesterday was really bad PR.

In 6 months time it’ll all be forgotten of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

It wasn't bad pr, it was barely mentioned except by a few people who searched out for a minor issue.

I remember when Tesco introduced the coin slots for trolleys and you had the same type of person claiming they would shop elsewhere.

There's a mouthy few out there that get elevated attention because they have phenomenal time on their hands and use forums and social media all day long.

Couple of classic examples on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

exactly, the sooner the levy goes to a euro a pop the better to drive consumer behaviour

plastic bag levy

price of fags

agressive clamping

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

Apple and oranges alright .. but the reaction from some quarters is exactly the same .... just stop buying as much stuff that comes in plastic and cans ... I would probably buy a plastic drinks bottle once or twice a month at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The reaction isn't unwarranted here in my own opinion. I am not saying that the scheme won't achieve its stated aim (90 percent collection rate) but that in doing so, it is adding considerablly to peoples carbon footprint, use of their time, and is punishing those who currently do the right thing. These aren't positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

More comparable would be if the vast majority of people were using reusable bags already, but an expensive quango was created that told us we were using the wrong sort of reusable bag and now we have to use a far more expensive infinitely less convenient bag.

Also plastic bags still exist in abundance, their public demise also coincided with the vast majority of households getting a recycle bin.

Could the 2 be linked? Mind blown!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Thanks for letting me know. I've update my page to link to the offical one, as it should be far more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

They've blasted one message on in the media over the past few weeks, every container with the ReTurn logo on it, goes in the RVM. Everything else, goes in your recycling bin.

There is literally loads of containers that do not have the logo yet that a deposit is being paid on. Thats ridiculous. That's bad PR.

Ultimately, it all washes away in 2-3 weeks when they filter out of the system and in 6 months this will all be forgotten about. It hasn't started on the right foot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Very true, at the start of it when there was alot of buzz about it, plastic bags had cleared up. but nowadays i still see them being scattered and whats even worse is there is those strong more expensive hard material bags being spammed everywhere too, i mean discarded like. and they don't decompose as far as i'm aware, or if they do it would take much longer.

Whenever there' some major thing done, there's always will be a bit of buzz surrounding it, i'm wondering what its gonna be like after all the buzz and hype train dies down

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

So 365 million a year. An eye watering amount of money.

The collection rate target for year 1 is 70%.

30% of €365m in unredeemed deposits.

So that is €109.5 million plus materials income plus producer fee income.

The best robberies are always conducted in plain site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what penalties are there if they don't reach 70% in year one, seems to me there's the potential for a lot of money floating around and no actual incentive to improve for return. or find ways to make returns easier.

seems very one sided to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

From looking at the missing info on the map and other general issues with the launch yesterday I doubt the people behind re-turn are smart enough to implement such a thing on the barcode checker. I found 5 containers at home that were eligible for a deposit return 75c coming my way after the weekend

You have touched on the inherent beauty of this scheme.

If targets are not met, that is the durrty publics fault. Not the CEOs, God forbid a Quango assumes responsibility in this country. Sure he is only doing what the EU are forcing him to.

Therefore that durrty public will solely bear the penalties which invariably will mean a rise in the deposit fee.

I know its probably trickier to do but I think the refund should be able to be paid through into your bank account.

or at least it should be in the roadmap to make refunds retailer independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

I remember when plastic bags were 5c. How much is a plastic bag now??

It's not tricky at all. It's 2024, getting an APP to one way interface with a bank account is not hard. Also I imagine it is far cheaper in the long run then to have to use a printer and literal paper.

The cumbersome and polluting paper voucher system is by design, Tesco haven't spent 15 million installing these machines because they just love the environment, ditto the other big chains.

The scheme is designed to drive footfall and therefore increase market share for the bigger players.

It's no secret or conspiracy as the cheer leaders on here would have you believe.

It's on their website.

Benefits of Deposit Return

Increased customer loyalty by offering consumers a positive and convenient Deposit Return experience.

Potential to increase consumer footfall as consumers return their empty beverage containers to get their deposit fee refund.

Opportunity to encourage consumers to use Deposit Return as a method to gain store loyalty points or to donate to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

This system has been working for years across multiple European countries. the people moaning about demonstrate how far our thinking can be behind our peers anf the persecution complex kicks in. One easy work around this is to bother minimise the plastic bottles and cans you buy or if you really need to do simply bring the empties back to the supermarket at the start of your next shop. Pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They were never 5c under the levy (although some individual shops may have charged for plastic bags pre-levy).

When the levy was first introduced they were 15c, currently 22c.

E-Voting has been working for years in other countries, how that turn out for us?

The system was introduced decades ago in other European countries who did not have our historical evolution of our recycling or trash collection.

Ergo they designed their systems from near scratch, it's worth noting none of those countries that I have looked have decreased their use of single use plastic, the opposite is true.

So the remedial notions bleated out by cultists, is but but but Germany.

I guarantee you the Germans if they had our evolution of collection to this point, they would not tear the whole thing down and replace it with an expensive bloated inconvenient mess. They would build on top of it and pioneer something, primarily because they are not sub servant simpletons.

It's worth noting France and Italy are not signed up to this scheme AFAIK. Are they just moaning cranks?

This scheme is designed to absolve CCs and LAs of trash collection. Privatise the problem, typical policy. The CEO and Minister when it is pointed out to them that vast majority of people offer these items perfectly in the home, the pivot to these being a about anti litter.

So Ireland actually had an opportunity to be pioneers, like Germany 20 years ago, because in reality the percentages to reach the targets are quite small, if we are not already there.

But no, we have decide to introduce an inconvenient heavy polluting analogue system in a digital age.

But sure people are moaning, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

I haven’t seen a 22c bag in over a decade. Zero free brown papers bags either.

• Advertisement

interesting that france has differed its decision basically as local authorities are worried about loss of revenue, after investing in sorting facilities.

in spain they will have to introduce drs if they don't meet 70 % recycling on single use containers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement