Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If this was a made up story, you'd say Kojima was behind the character names.

Last of Us 2 Grounded - Making of Doc, out today 5pm Irish time on Youtube and also part of TLOU Remaster update coming today. Whether you love or hate it, i'd say this will be an interesting watch. The First Grounded doc was incredible so really looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's a prime example of cruel and unusual punishment being handed out simply because a rich corporation wanted to make an example out of him and had the money to buy this kind of "justice".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seems he was only the front face of the company as well, the real operation didn't even get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Like are we supposed to feel sympathy for this lad. He got caught breaking the law and was punished or am I missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah I do think the sentence was harsh. I understand why Nintendo do it, they want to discourage it as much as possible, but in reality, the guy wasn't building the kits, was paid a few hundred dollars to update a website and talk to customers. And now he'll pay 20-30% of his income for life. And the guy has a bunch of health issues already.

I would be more in favour of the crowd he worked for being the ones to get slapped with the massive bill as they made the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Do you genuinely think his punishment is fair?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's an insane judgement that will leave him in poverty for the rest of his life. Compare that to the slaps on the wrists most white collar crime gets. It's a victim less crime as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's like throwing the book at the street corner seller, instead of the actual kingpin, or those who make the drugs.

Nintendo wanted a face to be the example; it didn't matter that the guy was basically the customer service rep, they wanted a warm body to punish and deter others. Which, of course, it didn't because the people that made the things got to walk away scot free.

It was a totally disproportionate response to the wrong "criminal" that'll leave the guy living in destitution for the rest of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's funny his surname is Bowser.

And the guy running Nintendo's US operation surname is Bowser.

It's a SuperBowserWorld 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Sonic Mania developers might have a classic on their hands ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

20-30% of his remaining disposable income after all his bills are paid. You could certainly argue it's disproportionate but it's really not the difference between poverty and not. It sounds like it's health issues and stupidly expensive north american medical care that's driving him into poverty, along with choosing to spend his life engaging in illegal activities instead of partaking in a legitimate career with health benefits etc.

It's also hard to say if there's not more to the story, it just briefly mentions him having some possible prior involvement in selling pirate movies and a brush with the law before moving to the Dominican Republic, which doesn't necessarily sound like the back story of someone who just accidentally fell into pirating software by innocently working on the website of the true masterminds without realising they were doing anything wrong. They weren't some little mom & pop outlet either - they accrued tens of millions of dollars in sales during his time working with them. The Guardian prefaces a lot of the statements with phrases like "as he tells it" which do a lot of heavy lifting, simply telling his side of the story rather than engaging in any deeper investigative journalism.

I mean I don't disagree that it's certainly harsh and it's not like the money he's repaying is worth anything to Nintendo, they certainly care more about the message it sends, but I don't have that much sympathy for pirates and the damage they do to creative industries. It is most definitely not a victimless crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Not surprising.

Definitely unsustainable the way they've going.

They can keep it 😂

I'll gladly take Forza though.

What would be really cool is if Sony said great idea lads, here's the last of us and the 2 just made their exclusives available to each other and everyone lived happily ever after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hi-Fi Rush is to Starfield as Citizen Kane is to Norbit.

Joking (or is it?) aside, interesting development all around - but seems like the best play Microsoft can make around now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Doubtful, but a Starfield release on PS5 would perfectly suit a 60fps mode... and they'd probably get money from me, because even though its free on GP, I'd prefer it on PS5 so I'd buy it, but only if it has 60fps. DualSense is just that much better imo.

Suppose we should expect TES6 too. Nice one. Is it too early for me to say I told you so (but not necessarily in those exact words). Maybe too early yet, but it appears MS's plan is not working... granted releasing on PS would increase their user base, but its a step backwards in some regards.

Can't see PS offering their exclusives to Xbox, surprised they eventually let in with PC releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I can't see the reverse happening of PS throwing their exclusives over to Xbox. Xbox need PS's userbase more than Sony need the extra sales, especially as they're releasing their games on Steam already.

My reasons for considering getting an Xbox get smaller and smaller every day. I have HiFi Rush on steamdeck (haven't started it yet though), and the main Xbox exclusives I want to play are the Gears games. Starfield and Indiana Jones don't particularly appeal to me. But if some of the newer Xbox games are going to end up on PS5 anyway, might just get the Gears games on PC/steamdeck.

I'm sure overall though, MS have done the maths and see more benefits for them in the long run here, so kudos. If nothing else, more games for everyone to be able to play. Never a bad thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s probably just unsustainable for Microsoft at the moment (although they’re also a trillion dollar company, so **** ‘em and their job cuts). More and more studios to fund, but persistently low console sales (relative to Sony and Nintendo) and stalled Game Pass growth. I’m sure Game Pass funds a fair amount of activity, don’t get me wrong, but for some projects I’m sure the costs don’t really add up when you’re getting barely any traditional sales.

For all Spencer’s talk of ‘play anywhere’, this is really the only thing they can do to deliver on that. Because, let’s be honest, as technologically impressive as it is that you can stream a AAA on your phone… that’s an awful way to play and it isn’t going to move the needle on Starfield’s reach the way a PS release would.

It’ll be a seismic shift though, and letting a genie out of the bottle that Microsoft will struggle to put back in. A risky play, but potentially the only realistic thing to ensure a lot of those studios remain sustainable (which, to be fair, is entirely Microsoft’s problem to fix as they’re the ones who spent all the money to get their hands on them).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Microsoft need to address these rumours fast.

Xbox is still the only place to play Ninja Gaiden Black so it has more reason to own than a PS5 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Hard to see this as anything other than the end of the xbox console and surely game pass with it. Maybe I'm being over dramatic but when there is no reason to buy an xbox then it is curtains imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I would see it as an even bigger push into gamepass as a service.

I reckon they will become a 3rd party publisher more or less. Still have a console/streaming box of some sort and go that way.

I'm guessing the "sell" is that you can get all these games and others on gamepass for €X a month or you can buy them individually if you want wherever you play your games. And probably exclusive for 6-12 months too.

All guess work obviously but I'm sure they know the numbers and what direction will make them the most money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Unless this all comes with a massive investment in game pass then that's dead too. Because without a console to download it to it is useless. I don't see how they can keep a console just for game pass because that console would still need to compete with playstation. There is PC of course, but the console market is far bigger.

GP is in dire need of investment with the current Series S profile, low bitrate and mainly 30fps games making it an awful streaming option that can in no way be taken seriously as a console replacement option.

Advertisement