Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Probably a stupid question but "Electricity fixed term contract will expire on 02/02/2024" (today) - does that mean I can switch today without penalty or would it be safer to do this tomorrow? Don't want to get stung with a €50 exit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I feel strongly that the CRU should make the following requirements:

• Contract end dates be clearly displayed at the top of every bill
    • Contract end dates be clearly displayed at the top of your online account
    • Contract end dates be clearly displayed in any emails communications about the initial setup of contract and upcoming ending of the contract/renewals
    • online there should be a contract info page that clearly shows the contract start date, end date and the unit price and standing charges of your contract.

Perhaps more controversial, they should allow people to break their contract two weeks before the contract end date with no penalty. Or require the contract rates to remain in place for two weeks after the end of the contract. It is silly, that you have to wait for the contract to end, and then end up paying a high rate for a week or two while the moving to a new supplier happens.

If the CRU are serious about driving competition and switching in the market, these are all obvious changes they should implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have always made the switch the day after contract end date & have always started the new rate from that date. Never had two weeks on a higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

I feel strongly that the CRU should make the following requirements:

• Contract end dates be clearly displayed at the top of every bill
    • Contract end dates be clearly displayed at the top of your online account
    • Contract end dates be clearly displayed in any emails communications about the initial setup of contract and upcoming ending of the contract/renewals
    • online there should be a contract info page that clearly shows the contract start date, end date and the unit price and standing charges of your contract. 

I remember one of my previous providers had it commented on my bill towards the end my contract advising that my contract was coming to an end advised of date and advised what my new out of contract rate would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Quick question. I'm thinking of switching to Airtricity and have Microgen. I have a smart meter but never moved to Smartmeter plan and don't want to at this time. Does that rule me out of Microgen?

From their site

Export payments will be made based upon the surplus energy generated at your home. If you have a smart meter the actual export (metered export) to the grid will be measured and you’ll be paid accordingly. For more information on smart meters please visit our Smart Meter section. All other meters will estimate the export value (deemed export) and you’ll be paid accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

You need a smart meter to avail of FIT(payment) but there is no requirement to be on a smart plan. Just make sure they dont fool you into joining a smart plan, like a "24hr smart plan"

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Currently with Energia, out of contract. They're offering me Smart 24 hour tariff, .3047 (VAT included) which is much higher that what I can get elsewhere. Bonkers is saying 27.38 (VAT included) for Juno, not sure if that's fixed or not.

Just wondering if there's any others with a better rate please?

Currently on:

Rural

Have a smart meter but not on a smart tariff. Happy to change to a smart tariff

24 hour tariff

6,072 units, €2,798 annual.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

When I switched to Flogas a few months ago, it took almost a week. Not all providers are setup for quick transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You get any bills yet? Do they not start your contract from when you submit the reading

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It always takes time but you're charged by your new provider from the meter reading you give.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Got a bill from Bord Gais from just under a year ago, even do I had switched to Flogas. Are they allowed to bill after you have left so long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Yes, you remain liable for any debt until statute of limitations runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 audi80

There might be confusion going on. You mentioned that you have One new smart meter and are now on a 24 hr rate

You contacted Electric Ireland to get a D/N rate but do you actually mean the Home Electric + Night Boost smart plan? These are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭bren2001

Cashback maybe? Seems very strange to be billed a year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Got an outstanding gas bill from end of 2022 from bird gais myself, said it was my closing bill and, looked back and I can see that it is correct, owed them a bill but only received it this week

That’s **** mental. I’d contact the CRU. A reasonable amount of time has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Left them in December 2022 and my last Jill from them was November 2022 so I did owe them so don't see how I'd win that argument if I was to complain

• Advertisement

13 months isn’t a reasonable timeframe to issue the last bill. There may be a regulation on this that we are unaware of.

Id bang it to the CRU and see what they say. Worst case scenario, you pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They have six weeks. Appeal it through Bord Gais first. CRU won't do anything until you exhaust supplier's complaints process

4.7.7 Where a customer has switched supplier or closed their account the final closing bill will be issued not later than six weeks from the effective date of the change of supplier or account close taking place. Where a replacement meter reading is issued to the supplier after the final bill has been issued, this will be dealt with as an exception to this requirement. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm with Electric Ireland and may stick with them given the price reductions on 1st March, possibly not the very cheapest but not bad.

For the life of me, I can't see how to change my dual plan on their website? - only seems to cater for new customers.

Anyone know how to change plan on their site?

Edit: Found "existing customers", and a whole pile of different icons and buried in there was "customer offers" and then found the same 14% offer - but you have to ring customer service. whereas new customers can sign up online ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Switch to the cheapest utility, incorporating standing charge, cashback. Otherwise hand back your BA badge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Appears Bord Gais smart plans require mixed rates through the day, i.e. Night, Day, Evening which I don't want. Their new "dual fuel 22/16" which has a 24hr rate won't be offered if you are on smart meter.

Went with SSE Airtricity Dual 20% offer, 24hr rate. Beats my Electric Ireland anyway.

Post edited by podgeandrodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭caviardreams

All I got from EI was the 14% - which is only an extra 4% on what I am paying atm. Nothing to compete with the cashback offer for new customers. off to BG I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

We really need a bit more innovation in the market now smart metering is here.

Okay there are a couple of plans with novel features likke free weekends, or night time EV charging windows, etc, but there's huge scope for dynamic pricing, TOU / battery optimisation, even 'build your own' plans.

Appreciate it's probably something to do with limitations on legacy billing systems but it would be nice if a supplier began competing in innovation like Octopus does in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭demello

Hi,

I am in the same situation as you, but with a higher usage, about 9000 units, so i would save 500 Euro moving from SSE to Yuno. There isnt a better deal in town.

• Advertisement

By March 1st most providers will be very close to Yuno and they've conventional billing methods.

Advertisement