Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just took a look at that GEM and i'm not sure why they are showing that level of snow cover when the uppers are extremely marginal.

-4 to -5 uppers with winds in off a relatively warm Irish sea this would be a cold rain event with plenty of mild sectors around. Any snow from this would be limited to high ground in reality. Temperatures of 3 to 6C with -5 uppers at best this would just be a cold rain event for most with snow limited mostly to areas above 400 or 500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

It's all ultimately immaterial really when one looks at the ensembles. The 12z GEFS ensembles (near-surface air temps) do not indicate anything severe cold-wise is on the cards over the next 16 days. Above average temps dipping to average or slightly below average beyond February 9th. This is a constant trend from the last 4 days of model output.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Follow the isobars,there'd be a lot of very cold surface air advection from southern Scandinavia in that,so in theory it would cut the mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

For next week it's still all to play for and it could go either way, the cold air is gradually shifting further south with each model run

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

That period from 9th or 10th February to about midmonth should bring snow to some. So at least the Net weather pink radar will be out again. The snow we got in January bar throwing a few bits at my son I spent most of the time looking at the pink netweather radar. I find that thing fascinating but then again I'm a freak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A notable shift towards colder upper air temperatures as we approach mid February. Do I jump onboard again? January was such a let down after so many weeks of model watching, it's hard to get back on the saddle for one last roll of the dice before we enter Spring and thoughts of warmer and more settled weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

Yes a trend to colder cannot be ignored now, lots of instability also if the models are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

GFS Some slight accumulations by Wednesday evening across the north

Quite deep in parts by Thursday morning

More extensive snow cover deeper in to FI

Snow remains at very end of the run across the north

Post edited by .Donegal. on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Three days of snow on the op!

Finally the Iberian Heights are gone on the control. Now it's the just the small matter of this verifying. It does look like it's going to get colder, though. Let's just hope it's snowy- and snowy more widely than the last cold spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I see nothing in the charts other than transient cold with absolutely no chance of heights to our North. Cold rain is what's showing

So you must not have seen this chart. Who said anything about it being sustained? Although if the latest EC46 output is correct we might get a longer cold spell during the second half of February.

Basically a repeat of the last spell

So if you had a bit then,you might have a bit again

I've long since ignored the EC 46

Those stamps are probably the most unreliable weather tool out there

Although there's a bit of competition for that title

Head of the queue being the UKMO monthlies

The Met Eireann long range uses the ec46 and it has been fairly accurate so far this winter. Any long range that talks of only brief milder interludes, as the UKMO did, is guilty of doing what you said last week: letting model guidance trump forecaster intitution. As regards a potential cold spell, if we can get rid of the Iberian heights maybe there will be snow more widely.

They couldn't be exclusively using the EC 46 or they'd be nearly always wrong,probability there rarely verifies

Regardless,last time I argued with you was March 2018 and we needed a track machine here to clear the yard and lane of 8 feet drifts,make of that what you will

I don't remember that discussion. I suppose it means you can never turn your back on snow as a Met Eireann radio forecaster was heard to say back in January 2010. If the strat forecast is correct we could be in for another cold March.

First time since early January I've seen one of these on the table.

Even if the above verified it looks very brief but alot better than nothing at all. The above would deliver proper snow showers to the east and south on a widespread basis for the first time since 2018.

Unfortunately it's a total outlier on it's own and almost 0% chance of verifying.

the potential for cold weather is before the operational run turns into an outlier with that easterly and the trend between 9th and 12th of February is for a northerly which probably won't do much outside of Scotland and maybe Northern Ireland.

If a potential northerly is to do the business for Ireland on a widespread scale those Iberian heights need to be completely gone or else the cold will barely make it to Ireland with fun and games mainly reserved for Scotland.

The JMA, ECMWF and CFS look as if they want to remove the Iberian heights completely as we progress towards the 3th and final week of February. This is the key to unlocking the freezer combined with northern blocking but a huge pinch of salt with this because so far this winter the long term models did not model the duration and depth of cold for January very well and currently feeling very cautious with models showing what we want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Probably won't pan out but worth keeping an eye on, some tasty ingredients...

Clare (410ft asl)

I am holding my powder (is that a saying?) until this evening's runs. A 2-day cold snap with wintry potential highly likely next week but some of the resolutions showing up are odd to say the least and suggest models are in a state of flux. The NAO stays in light negative and AO in strong negative for the period so a resurgent, zonal Atlantic is not strongly favoured beyond this cold snap at this point.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wouldn't be surprised if the mid Feb to mid March period is the coldest period of 2024 or at least coldest relative to average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Enjoying everyone's restraint after the January shambles.

It could be snowing outside and I'd be saying "Ah, it'll never happen"

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

"Keeping your powder dry" i believe is the term. Reference to gun powder. We hear ya, the giddyness scale is at zero 😃

My giddyness is dead or at least been given the last rites. Too many false eye candy charts for this winter kills the soul😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Hopefully we all get abit of snow on the east coast, I'm in pats hospital for a few weeks so I wanna see some snow ❄️ be great if we do get an easterly

Clare (410ft asl)

Best of luck Dazler. Hope all is ok. If they drug you up enough, you will see a lot more than snow.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

The GFS op run warmup after next weekend is an outlier with the mean staying close to -5c 850s by Monday morning (12th Feb) with the op a full 8-9c warmer at +4c. The cold snap is not looking particularly severe or wintry to me at this point.

I think we are facing another case of focusing on getting the cold in after midweek next week and seeing how the output evolves thereafter over the coming days.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

CFS has a very cold second half of February for us but do I believe this.

A major dumpload of salt.

Thank you 😊 and hope we do see some snow ❄️ Would lift my depression abit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Get it out of the way before the 22nd March or would I like a white wedding 🤔

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement