Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because I wasn't looking at the 2016 census because why would I? Multiple issues with this

1. The 2022 census does not break down the data in the same way, it does however mention that there are, in total, 3,211 people of African nationality unemployed. So clearly the unemployment rates mentioned from 2016 are woefully out of date.
    2. They have not broken it down by every country, they have the highest and lowest rates, for a period 7 years ago when the State unemployment rate was 13%. Higher unemployment rates will generally disproportionately impact immigrants but we no longer have high unemployment rates.
    3. You are, deliberately or ignorantly, giving the impression that 43% of 21,000 Nigerians are somehow on the Live Register when this is not true and not remotely how the figures are calculated. Many are students, domestic partners or not otherwise looking for employment.
    4. A large number of those unemployed will be partners of employed persons
    5. All of these numbers are tiny when compared to the scale of the actual problem with housing.

None of this is addressing the core problem with housing in Ireland and the inability of young (and increasingly middle aged) people to afford housing in Ireland has almost nothing to do with the number of Nigerian unemployed people. It is because we do not build enough, and have not been building anywhere near enough for the last decade at least. It is because people are living longer and staying in their family home. It is the same problem multiple other countries across the world are experiencing. 300 unemployed Congolese people in 2016 are not the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

You claimed "The CSO does not break down to the level of every country". I provided a link to the CSO doing exactly that.

You're trying to muddy the water by implying the figures are for "not working" (ie students, domestic partners etc). Which is not the case, the figures listed are explicitly for specifically unemployed (ie claiming welfare), as the CSO link shows in very clear language.

You were caught in your lie, you may as well admit it. Trying to say "it only shows the highest and lowest countries", or "the figures might have changed since" is a very transparent attempt at moving the goal posts.

We're taking in 20,000 asylum seekers a year, thats the equivalent of 8000 housing units a year being taken off the market. Out of the 32,000 or so we're building a year. Thats not "tiny" by any rational person's counting, thats a very significant percentage, 25%, of our total housing build.

The only people who claim adding 8000 extra housing units a year to our housing crisis will make no difference are either extremely mathematically challenged, or lying to forward an agenda. I'd assume in your case its the latter, given your prior lie about the CSO.

You claimed "The CSO does not break down to the level of every country". I provided a link to the CSO doing exactly that.

A) no you didn't, it was just a select few specific countries

B) they don't do even that in the most recent census, which for painfully obvious reasons is the one I was looking at

🙄

The provided CSO statistics show very clearly, by nationality, how some countries of origin have absolutely terrible rates of employment in this country and are a financial drain on the state. While taking up tens of thousands of valuable housing units, at a time of acute shortage. The figures don't lie.

Its ok to just admit you were either wrong or lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its the people who live in houses, not the percentages.

Sure they are important, but I care more that I need 30,000 houses than I need 4% houses tbh.

• Advertisement

I was wrong to make the assumption that you were referring to recent statistics and not wildly out of date ones, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

Do you think there would be a dramatic change in the figures from 2016 until now? If so, what do you think caused this?

I myself could see some percentage differences but I don't know why they would swing dramatically in 7 years.

I wonder why they stopped breaking it down by country?

General unemployment in 2016 in the census was 13% and is now about 4-5%, which is close to what would be termed full employment. Its a pretty fundamental change.

There is a break down by some countries, just not all. I assume they don't bother for total numbers below a certain level.

Can you show me where you are getting figures of unemployment going from 13% to 4-5% please?

It was actually 8% as recorded in the census in 2022, it has since fallen further.

Both of these are higher than the normal calculated unemployment rate mind you at 4.5% today. Different methodologies.

Higher unemployment rates don't have a uniform impact.

And again, this is all somewhat irrelevant anyway to the point at hand of the housing issue. It is convenient for some to lash out at unemployed migrants for whatever reason, but it simply is not the cause.

• Advertisement

Interesting, every other place I've seen states the unemployment rate of Ireland in 2016 was in and around 8-9%.

I disagree it's irrelevant to the discussion of housing. There's very little in life that has a single root cause.

Obviously the government was inept from supply side but importing over 800,000 immigrants in the last 10 years when the country only had a handful of million citizens has had a huge impact on demand for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Can someone just explain something to me from the nadir of the recession? I was abroad at the time and I'm genuinely interested in how mortgages worked back then.

So it's 2013. In order to get a mortgage you need 10% deposit, you can borrow 3.5 times your income.

Residential Property Price Register

Most of the homes in the areas on this here list I pulled out would today go from about 240k (ex council) to 305k to as high as 390k today.

Now, unemployment was at 15%, but was it as simple as "I've been in the same job for 10 years, it's going nowhere it's a solid industry neither construction nor MNC, throw us a mortgage there" or am I missing something? Was there next to nobody they would actually give a mortgage to, citing unpredictability of the job market?

Like, there's certain industries that in my mind are redundancy proof- nursing, teaching, Gardai.

I mean, you see houses there going for 73k. Assuming it wasn't a derelict, would absolutely anybody who had 7300 on them and even a very basic salary have qualified?

Obviously houses were going so cheap in part because banks were presumably slow to give mortgages, but they were giving some out, and only 15% of workers were unemployed so, how did it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It was a nightmare to get a mortgage. I remember going into AIB at the time and asking(circa 2012/13), they threw me a 100+ page document, told me to go off and read it. The person said twice to not bother coming back near her till I had the entire document read and understood, with all information required with me.

That was the mortgages advisor in AIB. Needless to say I didn't bother

A few years later we moved house and went through the process, it was a little better but the entire thing was an ordeal from start to finish. The banks put up so many hurdles

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"the very few details" is about the most accurate part of your post in relation to Sinn Fein. Nobody believes that Sinn Fein can do it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

But it's still like that.

Even in the darkest days of the recession 85% of adults had a job of some description.

The only industry almost entirely wiped out was construction (even at that, self employed domestic electricians always have call outs to do, glaziers always have broken windows to fix, locksmiths, roofs will always leak, etc etc. There was mass layoffs but a few self employed lads always kept head above water)

But aside from all that- the schools needed teachers, the buses needed drivers, and so on.

85% were working, it strikes me that the banks must have dragged serious feet to prevent most of them taking out a mortgage.

Sod all buyers= houses going for less than a high end EV would today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

No it's not, I had to remortgage last year because the bank I was with pulled out. You get online portals, banks all bidding for your business. A rep to help you at every stage, update calls all the time to ask if everything is ok. A movement fund to pay for solicitors.

It's nothing like the crash and trying to take out a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

Yes, I get it, make ordinary workers pay more for their houses by getting rid of Help to Buy, while handing out free houses to those who sit back and do nothing, that does seem to be SF policy all right.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Help to buy just inflates house prices by 30k or whatever the amount is.

If the government wanted, they could have made Help to Buy an annual tax refund payable over 5- 10 years. But sure the developers wouldn't get money off that.

• Advertisement

If that is true, and I am not saying that it is, it still makes houses cheaper relatively for first-time buyers than for investors and trader-uppers.

The government are stealing a march on Sinn Fein by creating so many extra voters who now have a stake in property prices remaining where they are. Young people who voted Sinn Fein the last time, but who now own a house thanks to Help to Buy won't vote for a party promising to reduce the value of their house.

I'm alright Jack so. Lovely people.

If houses were to return to an affordable level in my area, I'm saying about 220 to 260 for a standard 70s/80s 3 bed, about 180 to 220k for an ex council house, then the only people who would be in negative equity are a cohort who bought between circa 2005 to 2008 and 2021 to the present. Everyone else bought either at firesale prices or at a time when they were somewhat affordable.

6 years. For homes that have been around as many as 50 years.

What do we owe panic buyers in protecting their investments? If you were stupid enough to spend big money on a new build you

a- didn't need help to buy as you could easily have afforded a second hand place and,

b- want sectioning to buy an architectural monstrosity in a management fee estate with no front garden, allocated parking, management rules, being mugged off by 15% of your neighbours from the housing list, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Anybody who bought in 2005-2008 would not be in negative equity, as their mortgage balance would be well reduced.

(I hope you are not making the common mistake of confusing negative equity with capital losses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,495 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I own a house.

I support large falls in rents, and 20-25% falls in house prices.

My own wealth would fall, yes, but the rise in my wealth since the purchase of the house was unearned.

I put the competitiveness of the nation, and the well-being of other people ahead of my own wealth.

Sorry, what I meant was him above is also likely of the "how is it fair that I paid 380k for this house in 2008 and people think it should only be worth 250k".

Despite the fact that in 2012 the house was probably worth as little as 130K.

Higher prices= buyers having less children= less taxpayers, nurses and bus drivers when Im Alright Jack there gets old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I dont know where your area is, but 3 bed houses in Dublin being 250k just isnt going to happen.

We cant dictate the price of homes. The market dictates the price.

If there are 10 homes valued at 250k and 1000 people are looking for homes and 500 of them can afford 400k, the 10 homes are going to sell way above 250k.

That is very altruistic of you, but I suspect that there are many more who would not agree with this.

"A significant 69pc of people agreed that the average price of a house in Dublin, which currently stands at €430,000, should fall to €300,000 as suggested by Ms McDonald.

A further 63pc of people polled said they would like to see property prices fall even if it meant their own home depreciated in value."[1]

A strong majority of people in this country, and even the majority of home owners, in reality actually support a policy of reducing home values by a large amount. Because they know its for the good of society.

You're projecting your own selfishness onto the rest of the country, incorrectly, as it turns out.

[1]https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/poll-public-backs-mary-lou-mcdonalds-call-for-300000-average-house-price-in-dublin/a1386646140.html

• Advertisement

In most of West Dublin from Tallaght to Blanch it was the standard price prior to the end of 2020, 220 to 260k for your average 3 bed semi. The prices then exploded through 2021 before somewhat stabilising by summer 2022 to a rate of slower growth.

Do you think it is right and fair that the market is now locked into where it is after years of relative stability by one massive 18 month jolt that has seen the price pushed to unrealistic levels?

Advertisement