Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Augme

That's because MM lied. Of course he should be criticised for lying. AFAIK SF have never categorically said they wouldn't go into a coalition with any party. MM and FF were clearly perfectly happy to go into government with FG so why they felt the need to lie before the election was ridiculous.

Is there anything that has happened in Ireland over the last 100 years that isn't SF's fault in your eyes? 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He was also ready in most honest observers eyes to go in with SF. When he found out that SF's overall vote would give them first go at Taoiseach he swallowed hard and went with FG, the party he told his electorate he would never coalesce with.

That is a lie in anyone's book. Ordinarily the FG folk on here would be calling it out, they can't do it now. Gas really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In every election from 1930 to 2007, Fianna Fail were the biggest party and "won" every election in the way that you and others claim that Sinn Fein "won" the last election. However, you will notice that Fianna Fail didn't go into government after all those elections. Various coalitions went into government instead. Why? Because those other parties knew that Fianna Fail wasn't interested in sharing power.

So, what happened after the last election is likely to happen Sinn Fein again, because every other political party knows that Sinn Fein isn't interested in sharing power.

We know all this blanch.

Some people refer to it as winning an election, winning seats etc.

Big deal, imagine having the temerity to say you beat FF or FG. Them pesky upstarts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ahh did I upset you because I discussed Sinn Fein on a thread about Sinn Fein. You know how to use the report button so off you go if you have a problem with the post

Sinn Fein claimed to win the last election, the onus was on them to form a government. When it was clear they couldn't and the country was in the middle of a pandemic it was left to the rest to stand up and be counted.

Sinn Fein only popped up once the government was nearly formed crying that they had been blocked, yet even PBP couldn't find SF to discuss about forming the great "left alliance", releasing a public letter to try wake them up

Sinn Fein and incompetence go hand in hand.

Incompetence should be the word Sinn Fein run with, from top to bottom the party that is best description. Who creates an online army to attract new supporters and it does the opposite. Who wins an election and then can't even manage to get a single party to agree terms with them. Total incompetence.

i will wait now for the list of excuses as every Sinn Fein discussed is full of......but but but they wouldn't let us play......

Incompetence should be the word Sinn Fein run with

😁😁This is a hilarious jibe given the incompetence's of the past 100 years here.

Two parties with 86% of the vote manage to reduce that to just over 40% and still falling and you point the finger at a party that has never been in government here as 'incompetent'???😁😁.

As my granny might have said 'away and have a titter of wit'.

And don't point at the north because tomorrow they achieve something the failed statelet was designed to never allow them achieve.

As I posted to you already Ireland is an incredible country to live in, yes we have problems but so does every country

I love my country and especially the people that worked hard for years to give people the opportunities they get today, not been shipped off at 16 to England like my father had to do. Great people who came back and built Ireland up so now people have opportunities at home.

If you don't like it and the people who built it you know you can leave. As per usual my point is clear, I don't need 100 posts back & forward with you wittering on about some nonsense

• Advertisement

Are you seriously suggesting that there has not been significant incompetency's across the decades?

Bizarre.

Now you try the emotional tugging. Carry on, it just looks ridiculous.

I asked you a question about SF on the SF thread. If you are going to have a little cry about being asked to discuss SF on the SF thread then maybe the SF thread isn't for you.

Over the last 100 years, Ireland has gone from an impoverished peasant economy to one of the most modern advanced economies with some of the best living standards in the world. Socially, it has changed from a Roman Catholic obsessed country to one of the most welcoming of cultures. Sinn Fein had nothing to do with any of that, so I don't blame them for that. I give credit to everyone else involved.

What I do blame them for is for the horrific terrorist campaign that held this island back in the 1970s and 1980s and which continues to hold Northern Ireland back even today. Over the last 100 years, the only thing that Sinn Fein have contributed to this country is support for killing our neighbours.

It was a 'Roman Catholic' obsessed state because the parties of the power share allowed it to be. They are still blocking restitution for those who had their lives destroyed and blighted because a blind eye was turned to the crimes of the church.

That all changed because brave political party's and activists stood up to the hold the church had and it wasn't the party's of the power swap. They fought every societal change that got going then jumped on the various bandwagons when the winds changed.

Meanwhile FG and FF celebrate the men and women who killed 'our neighbours' too.

The rose tinted glasses need to come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭myfreespirit

+1 to this post.

You have nailed it on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭myfreespirit

Sigh.

Yet more 'whataboutery', as the great John Hume might have said.

Do SF spokespeople and their hangers-on have a single original thought in their heads, or do they simply parrot whatever message they receive from the shadowy men in control from Belfast? Just one original thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭pureza

Hang on one tiny little second here

The main opposition parties did not share power untill 2016

Secondly,your party of choice was busy being Marxist leninist in most of that time,a time when catholics world wide would have considered that as Satanistic,not just in Ireland

So your party of choices record isn't stellar in regard to disturbing the status quo

They were busy losing deposits,by their own choice and offering no alternative, what were people to do?

I didn't 'choose' SF until the 2020 election. Previously I voted for the parties of the power swap...now power share. No issue taking the blame for that.

A poster posted an unbalanced history of the state and credited it to the parties who swapped power here for 100years.

The truth is always more nuanced though.

I have no issue giving credit where it is due for bringing us out of the poverty the British had us in but all the credit is not with those in power. They resisted change and it was the activism of others that brought the huge societal changes here.

Come on, you can't have your cake and eat it now blanch. FG and FF fought a mighty battle keep this country being roman Catholic obsessed for as long as possible. Leo himself was anti abortion and anti guy marraige up until very recently. Thankfully, the weight of public pressure was just too much for FG and FF to push back against despite their best and very long standing efforts.

Aa for this island being held back in the 1970s and 1980s by SF rather than events like Bloody Sunday, we will just have to agree to disagree on that. Now I'm sure you felt that innocent catholics should have just accepted their fate of being shot when marching for equal treatment and but it's easy to say that when you aren't the one being murdered for simply wanting to be treated fairly.

• Advertisement

The majority of innocent catholics/nationalists killed in Northern Ireland and in the Republic was done by the PIRA in cohorts with their political wing PSF.

Even to this day some people won't go to the Gardai/PSNI without getting approval from SF because they are afraid of the repercussions. Those people been catholic/nationalist.

That's before we start discussing the brutal beating/knee capping etc carried out by the PIRA. So waffling on about the innocent people in Northern Ireland in the same conversation as PIRA/PSF is totally incorrect.

At the end of the day, the PIRA/PSF didn't achieve a United Ireland, they killed a lot of people in every community, they killed people all over Ireland and overseas and failed at their primary goal.

A United Ireland that will only have a chance of coming around if we continue with the cross border projects the government have put in place.

No, they weren't. The vast majority of catholics killed during the troubles were killed by the British army or loyalists.

Of course you think talking about the innocent people killed during Bloody Sunday is waffling on. No doubt their murders be blamed on SF and no one else as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

If you have a concern about a post , report it , please don't comment on the thread.

Thank you.

"By 2005 the combination of the impact of the Celtic Tiger upon our economy and the damage done earlier to Northern Ireland by the IRA campaign in effectively halting foreign investment there had dramatically reversed the North/South economic relationship."

The great Garret Fitzgerald explaining the effect of the IRA campaign on the economy of the North. I don't think that there is a single paper anywhere in the world (other than perhaps some propaganda from Friends of Sinn Fein) that would claim that Sinn Fein's support for the PIRA campaign had a positive effect on anything.

Another article that sets it out clearly is this one:

"And so, when they carry out campaigns of violence against property or against people, in many, many instances what they were doing was they were damaging their own people more than they were furthering their cause."

I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The only people who benefitted economically from the IRA campaign were the Slab Murphy’s and various other “hard men” who used the border to their advantage. SF did as well - Europe’s wealthiest political party.

I'd say the people SF represent in the north will be feeling very positive tomorrow.

I'm sure you will be around to tell them they have no right to feel that way and Garrett would probably find a way to do it too if he was around.

By the way, what is the point of foreign investment if almost half the people are treated as 2nd class citizens deprived of equality and rights?

That is true, but tomorrow we will see Sinn Fein being given the opportunity to lead, and we will then see if they can do that. My money is on complete failure.

No we won't. It is not a single leadership post.

Try and understand how it works (or doesn't) in NI.

The significance of tomorrow is symbolic. No Taig was ever meant to be in that symbolic role nor no nationalist party was ever meant to be in the majority.

Plenty of Unionists/Loyalists benefitted from it too. And still do.

• Advertisement

PIRA/PSF had no interest in the Catholic/nationalist community, just protecting the criminal organisation that it created, running drugs/diesel/guns was all they had any interest in

Of course they had no problem protecting rapist, murders and paedolfies but a kid step out of line and he was beaten or knee capped.

How exactly was that protecting the catholics?

It's been done to death, but Sinn Fein trying to portray the galant battle is not what happened in reality.

EVen people in Rep of Ireland wasn't safe, how many got killed for no reason apart from they stood out of line for the criminal organisation.

Advertisement