Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

People don't think.

She would've had to unload the car again.

She couldn't drive the car back to her house again as it was cordoned off, so she would've had to carry everything over 100m. She was in her 60s.

The easiest thing was to go to the dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Don’t disagree in overall sentiment of the post - but the first assault on Jules was 1993 and the second in 1996- were the guards called in either case? I can’t recall - saying that it’s a small community so they’re bound to have known

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20299618.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have the absolute upmost sympathy for him, the trauma at 14 or 15 he suffered must have been horrendous.

That said his outright refusal to look at the facts of the case does not sit right with me. It never has, I extend that to his uncle who appears quite informed and intelligent.

There is no real excuse, he speaks English and is a frequent visitor to West Cork.

Now he has spoken of never thinking of the actual murder, so maybe he compartmentalised it and out of necessity 100% convinced himself it was Bailey.

Also it is a handy way to live with and justify his anger.

Again that said if it true, why is going on the Late LAte Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

Their next door neighbour was brutally murdered but jesus "Ya can have a load of stuff in your way if ya don't make the trip".

Also I think the benefits to be gained from potentially destroying or getting rid of vital evidence linking you to a murder slightly outweighs the negative of having attention drawn to you.

The trip to the dump draws attention to them regardless of their involvement or not. Even if it was just a run of the mill pre-planned trip, we are still discussing it over 27 years later and drawing inferences and conclusions from it. That alone kind of tells you that it wasn't the greatest idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

A few randomners on the internet drawing attention to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I read a Reddit thread last night, Murder at the Cottage posted by Phil Mathers, where he lays out exactly why Bailey couldn't have done it. It convinced me. After listening to the West Cork podcast, I thought he had done it. He claimed he got out of bed that night to write an article for the Sunday Tribune and one of Jules daughters confirmed he was at his typewriter when she got up to go to the loo during the night. The Sunday Tribune confirmed that he had submitted the article and met his deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It shouldn't have gone to the dump. It should have been taken by the Guards from the car, for some sort oi review by the forensics team when they arrived.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Is it confirmed if Bailey lit a bonfire or not

I've heard conflicting reports on this

People say how bizarre it was that Bailey was killing turkeys and cutting down Christmas trees so close to Christmas. But its perfectly normal for Shirley to go to the dump at lunch 3 hours after the body is found.

Lets swap the two around for a second. If Shirley and Alfie were killing turkeys and cutting down Christmas trees so close to Christmas, the same people have no issue with this. If Bailey went to the dump at the same time Shirley did, those same people would focus on that as another circumstantial piece of evidence pointing to his guilt.

That's what this entire thread is, randomers on the internet. So that's a stupid point to make.

• Advertisement

Bailey had a few different reasons for the scratches .His stories in totality are suspicious

Alfie and Shirley were going about their business

I'm not getting the big significance of the dump unless they were involved in the murders

We still have no idea who was involved in the murder so your last sentence speaks volumes and sort of makes my point for me.

We’ll find out tonight the reason for his appearance I guess - a “soft interview” without probing his view if the investigation quality overall is a missed opportunity in my book- so I’d be hoping this topic will be raised.

But how he feels and how he thinks I’d disagree with you - it’s his burden to carry - I’m more than willing to “accept him ” in the way he presents himself without casting judgement as it wasn’t my mother who was killed.

But i would like to get his honest view of the investigation from the start- if he verbalises even some concerns, then that might help him think things out further.

Saying that, there’s no United view in Ireland on who did this crime- every person has their opinion around person motive etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I've read some nonsense on this thread but some of the last few posts from Bailey defenders really take the biscuit.

Was Shirley supposed to get back in her car, drive it back over the crime scene and unload her rubbish again? As for the gardai not checking her car, has anyone any evidence for this? And she found the body on the way to the dump. You'd think she'd fill the car with supposed incriminating evidence and then alert the gardai and leave a car full of evidence at the end of the road for all to see? I've no doubt some hare-brained Bailey defender will suggest just that, that evidence was well hidden in car and similar nonsence.

And while other things point to garda competence, Shirleys car being let go to the dump doesn't.

As for Shirley getting on with life, not being too bothered, what nonsense. She was likely in shock and on autopilot and did not know what to do, nor was she thinking straight. Its unlikely she could even process what she had just seen. The gardai told her to move the car, she did.

Its all a nonsense, just some of the usual posters clutching at straws.

I can't wait until we get onto the loose horses theory!

Yes there'd been conflicting reports. From memory of accounts, Bailey denied it, despite 2 witnesses saying otherwise. Bailey denied everything by the way always. During his libel trial, after almost killing his partner and attacking her after returning from hospital he denied he was a violent man! His denials were worthless.

Jules admitted in one account there was a bonfire related to cleaning out the studio.

Forensic guys took a look at the contents after the fire and found evidence of clothes and shoes. Potentially this evidence could have been crucial, especially the shoes.

The timing of the bonfire is also important, witnesses said late December, Jules said February I think. If it happened before Bailey became an official suspect or was arrested or his home searched, then key evidence could have been destroyed.

Hold on a second now. This prevailing narrative from you and a number of posters is that if you question some item you're immediately pro-Bailey is getting a bit grating.

As I have said previously, I don't give a **** about Ian Bailey. If some direct evidence comes up that links him with the crime scene or Sophie's DNA is found amongst his belongings, I'll be delighted to see this whole thing conclude. But I won't apologise for questioning a crap investigation by some leprechaun Gardai looking for an easy life.

So please explain to me how it is nonsense to question why the last person to see Sophie's light on in the house and the first person to see her murdered body was allowed drive to the dump. The car should have been impounded.

Once again my issue is with an appalling investigation. But it appears you see all questions as a form of Bailey cheerleading.

Alfie just happened to be Sophies neighbour and apparently didn't get on very well with her

He drove to a dump the day of the murder

Is that the extent of the evidence pointing to alfie ?

Theres a load more circumstancial evidence pointing to bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Probably wouldn't have looked great if she went to the dump first and reported the body upon returning home either

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Reports of friction over neighbour things, access, gates, water, ownership of particular strips or plots of land.

He found the body. His reported conduct in finding the body was a bit strange, he says he stopped 20 yards away, didn't take a close took to try to see who it was or if they were dead, but immediately went to Sophies to check on her. Maybe just not thinking straight.

He had opportunity.

He and his wife reported hearing nothing of the murder next door. They are each other's alibi so to speak.

He had a bandaged hand on the day of the murder.

He was likely to have known about the pump house and the loose concrete block.

Somebody shopped him to the Guards for growing weed not long after Sophie moved in.

Against that there is considerable doubt as to whether Alfie (63 at the time and not known for being a strong man, deceased now) would be able to wield the pump house concrete block as a weapon.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jules said November, if not October according to the Sheridan show.

Finding the body, opportunity , not hearing anything

Those are not reasons to suspect him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

He just happened to be her neighbour basically

The cut I suppose I'm sure he explained

Probably didn't give 3 different reasons like bailey

I see Rachel Callalys father has passed away.RIP

Joe O’Rielly, while he thought himself as “clever” became a clear suspect very early on- especially when he re-enacted what he believed happened and of course his LLS appearance was the dawning for his mother in law.

If you’re anyways a “talker”, you’ll trip yourself up quite quickly- Bailey was a talker - but in the 27 years, leaving aside the alibi change which is in no way a definitive sign of his guilt in this case, he hasn’t said one thing about the crime scene or Sophie that you could say was a “gotcha moment” .

Why exactly sould it have been impounded? You think anyone would be stupid enough to fill the car with evidence and then ring the cops? In fact would anyone be stupid enough to go to the dump in full glare of everyone if they had just murdered someone, thereby incriminating themselves?

Except for all the times he said he did it, would claim insanity if rearrested again (like the guy in Sligo), fantacised about how he did it, throw a rock at back of her head, and numerous times talked about seeing her in a shop and what he'd like to do with her. Apart from that and numerous other times, hardly mentioned it at all!

Far more gotcha moments than O'Reilly. What got O'Reilly was the phone mast data.

• Advertisement

The Guy Girard claim seems likely true

Says Sophie knew an Eoin Bailey

Eoin was a name Bailey used

Advertisement