Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

In fairness his mother died of cancer around Christmas, I think we can forgive him this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Didn't hear that. Puts a bit of shite talk about sport in stark perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

yeah agreed. I understand why it would be nice to swoop.

the norm for young nationalist players from ni is to play for ni. I think there is only one in 50 years from outside Derry who chose Roi.

as for how he would feel lining up to gstk, I guess exactly the same as Ireland rugby players from ni feel lining up to soldiers song in aviva

that said, I would like gstk replaced with a ni specific anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

What's the story with them flogging those hotel vouchers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

They seem to have gotten a freebie from the hotel chain in putting up US Murph over the past few months and now it's payback? Decent prizes in fairness. Am sure there's other benefits to the SC team as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ad-free podcasting

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 choosetheend

Do they still say they're ad-free?

They do ads/sponsorships the odd time, such as mentioning the beer company that sponsors their love shows, or the airline that flys US Murph over, but it doesn't really both me, to be honest.

As long as they didn't start doing native advertising, but I can't see that happening.

Their latest ad is just in the form of a competition, it hasn't really annoyed me. (And I entered the competition but didn't win unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They would say it's a competition rather than an ad. Tbh, i entered twice, happy enough if the prize is decent. Better than a mizzoni wagon wheel pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭franglan

The whole Conor Bradley thing and FAI "blunder". Maybe just maybe the kid wants to play for the jurisdiction of his birth? All timely approaches made but wants to play for those sacred six counties? Catholic background played GAA but neither define who he wants to play for at international level. A new generation of Norn Iron youngsters.

Post edited by franglan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I was told today by someone who spoke to a man who knows the family that it was a family decision to play for Northern Ireland.

just because people in the north are involved in GAA doesn’t mean they feel very attached in identity to people from the Republic of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I didn’t realise it but yea it says ad-free on their website and the Patreon page

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

While I did get a laugh out of the clip of young Eoghan I did think it felt a bit strange to hear them promoting a hotel chain, but, sure, lookit, it's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I mean, it's a giveaway, at least some listeners are getting a free night away with it. And it's not completely out of the blue, it was the hotel chain that put up Big Sam and/or US Murph I believe, so there is some relevancy to it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, not everyone plays u15s gaa because the they want to unite Ireland.

They could just be the best sports person in their area by miles, love it and want to play everything that's available to them. No doubt he was on his school athletics team.

His views on anything with the South may not be conflated with beating everyone else at sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭siblers

At least they tried to make the competition some bit entertaining with the audiobeds and incorrect answers.

Tonight I was going :

Send 'im off! Send tha' dirty get off! Get 'im off the field. Get 'im walking!

and child 1 got it, so SC on the school run when heads are in phones is actually rubbing off

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was saying the same thing after the first yellow. I couldn't spake...

The idea that underage sports people are expected to make, or even if they don't are regarded as having made, political gestures one way or the other is fúcked up beyond belief.

The ROG bit was hilarious though

• Advertisement

Shove it up your arse! He's the best prop in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I did get a good chuckle at the (p1sstake) answer of a "young Joe Molloy" for the competition 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yes that makes a lot of sense. I reckon he would only be the second player in history, outside of Derry, to choose to play for FAI. ie it would be more odd if he did not choose ni

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Eoin, Murph and Simon (Simon!) are talking out of their arses suggesting that there’s any World Cup hangover left after that type of performance. Now everyone’s sights are set on what this season can be and not the past, it was the perfect tonic.

I was at all the Paris games and in Marseille over the weekend, there was and is no shortage of happiness to go around. This is one of the wildest takes I’ve ever heard Second Captains produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

They beat a 14 man France. It doesn't really prove much. If anything, I couldn't believe it took them so long to acknowledge the red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Didn't they play a decent chunk of the World Cup QF against 14 men too and still lost? Hard to get too excited about the 6 Nations now after they bottled the World Cup so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭bren2001

2 yellow cards for NZ. The score in that time was 7-3 Ireland.

France played 50 minutes with 14 men. Beating them indicates nothing. Its a great chance at another grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I never get the logic that a win against a team who had a red card needs an asterisk or something. It's as much a part of the game as any other aspect of it, so if France can't keep it together enough to keep all 15 men on the field, that's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

I agree - you hear it a lot particularly in Rugby which IMO is one of the few sports where a man down isn't necessarily a death knell it is in most other team sports.

Ireland wanted it more (much like Arsenal over liverpool at the weekend) France were second best to every ball and i don't think it would have mattered to the result if the French player hadn't been sent off but he was and it's his own fault so matters not. You can only beat whats infront of you as they say.

On a slight tangent i understand where its coming from i hate the term "bottled" in relation to the world cup and Ireland. It's a lot more complex than that but it is infuriating that the team which had perfect prep and build up not to mention the best Irish squad of all time and still didn't get past the quarterfinals AGAIN. Psychology has to come into it somewhere i suppose but the draw was bananas and i still contend France and Ireland were the two best teams at the world cup. I've no doubt we'll break this quarter final hoodoo at some point very soon and most likely with a team not as good as the one which went out last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Still Ill

It was me who said they bottled it. It's a term that's overused generally, but I think it's apt here. So many handling errors and poor line-outs against both SA and and NZ. We just about got away with it against SA somehow, but there's no doubt the team performed well below their ability. It's definitely a psychological thing at this stage.

Advertisement