Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

So if the limit were really strictly enforced and say a couple of million passengers were to fly from Shannon and Cork instead, what would that do for climate change? All those extra car and bus journeys.

The ultimate logic of this is to ban or ration all kinds of travel and other activities which cause emissions.

Climate change is a real and pressing issue, but so are basic individual freedoms, something which often escapes Green extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats the problem with most of our current Green party's policies - they can sound reasonable (ish) on paper, but any exposure to the real world completely defeats them.

A flight limit for Dublin airport will just push people to use Belfast, Shannon and Cork. Or to fly through Heathrow. People aren't going to give up visiting family abroad, or travel in general.

And as an island in the North Atlantic we don't have the option of rail travel to replace it. We're in a completely different scenario to somewhere like Paris or Berlin where pushing people to get trains for journeys under 1500km could work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

And unfortunately, too often in recent times, the Greens have become the tail that wags the dog, we've seen too much of their influence in recent years, and now, they're becoming even more of a joke, but unfortunately voters seem to have very short memories.

It's bigger than that, a very telling snippet in recent days on Facebook about (Irish) electric buses having to be charged by a diesel standby generator because there's no grid connected chargers available sums up just how disjointed and chaotic the whole 'green' agenda has become, and in some areas, it's clear that the proponents of some supposed 'green' technologies are little more than snake oil salesmen, and I suspect that in the not too distant future, our brave new all electric world is going to look very much less appealing than it did, 2 major storms in less than a week has resulted in 250,000 with NO power for up to 36 hours, the thought of having no heat, no way to prepare hot food, no lights, that's not a prospect that is greatly appealing, things like being able to contact emergency services in this brave new world have just not been properly thought out, and it will result in deaths because the infrastructure has been gutted by beancounters who listened to the false promises of suppliers, and that will end up costing lives when people discover that they don't have any means to contact anyone over huge swathes of the country because the critical infrastructure hasn't got the essential resilience to be able to operate during prolonged power outages.

Yes, the old phone lines could be damaged by a storm, but a power cut in the wrong place now has the ability to take out entire counties communications, both landline and mobiles, that's not something that should have been allowed to happen, but it has, because the suppliers were allowed to get away with it.

I'll leave it at that, otherwise I'll get accused of going off topic, suffice to say that Dublin Airport is critical essential international infrastructure, and some of the restrictions that are being imposed on it are beyond absurd, and run the risk of doing huge damage to the economy if reason is not imposed on certain aspects of the limits.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Steve, in the interests of full disclosure re the buses, that Facebook video was not exactly truthful, and didn’t explain the context as Bus Éireann’s response pointed out.

I take your wider point, and I fully agree with you regarding the airport and the critical role it plays, but that video was rather biased in trying to push an agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Passenger numbers for 2023, 31.9m excluding transit and other passengers. 33.45 including them. Will this satisfy the cap for 2023?

Good job the cap isn't retrospective|

I can imagine some lunatic arguing that of you breached the cap by 45,000 in 2023 you should claw it back in 2024, so the burghers of Fingal can have some more sleep. 😂

The lunatics are already going mad over it 😂🤦🏼‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Karppi

Transit passengers don't create any surface transport. But I think that argument has been tried, and denied, by Fingal Coco (or maybe the Noise Regulatory side of them). Utter nonsense, of course, and completely illogical. And I wonder how much daa contributes to Fingal's business rates? Gotta be north of €10m

Everything on this thread from 24 Jan onwards has disappeared. What's up?

• Advertisement

Remember the Shannon stopover and how it knackered the development of trnsatlantic traffic from Dublin for decades? Well, those Clare politicians haven't gone away you know. Some of them want to limit numbers at Dublin so Shannon can get more flights. Depressing gombeen stuff:

I love the choice of aircraft in the picture: shows how much the Clare Champion knows about aviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aircraft in the photo is a picture of an A380 on approach to Shannon, taken by a local well known photographer.

You get that sh*te from local councillors, it's bizarre stuff. They mention the DAA moving nighttime flights to Cork, which is untrue and impossible, given that the DAA have no control over who wants to fly where.

This "we only want 5-7%" is total garbage. Sure I'd love some of the corporation tax take, I'll settle for as little as 0.5% of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The owners of Manchester airport must be salivating at the number of new routes coming their way over the next few years that should have come to Dublin over this stupidity if it isn't fixed fast.

It's another reason we need the Greens out. This is part of a much bigger pattern of self harming, self defeating ideological mindlessness that will ultimately have serious negative impacts on this country both finacial and societal.

This has nothing to do with the Greens being in government, nor would them not being there help in any way whatsoever.

Ultimately it boils down to Fingal County Council, and their reasons for accepting or rejecting will be proclaimed as the usual hodgepodge of nonsense when the reality is their existing constituents don't want more traffic and that's all they care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It's a report on a planning application and some of the objections made. The planning process is (thankfully) independent of Government and, according to another recent IT report, as well as this one, the airlines have put in plenty of submissions in favour of the DAA plans. It's the job of the planners to decide what weight should be attached to the arguments made in the vaious submissions. Whether the Greens are in Government or not does not have a major bearing (if any) on the outcome, I would suggest.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

Podge_irl: you say: "Ultimately it boils down to Fingal County Council, and their reasons for accepting or rejecting will be proclaimed as the usual hodgepodge of nonsense when the reality is their existing constituents don't want more traffic and that's all they care about."

I should have thought that far more Fingal residents are aware of the Airport's importance to the local economy or are actually employed in airport-related activities, than the numbers of objectors.

considering 30,000 people are “disturbed” from the north runway according to some, and that the population of Fingal is nearly 300,000, 380 observations doesn’t exactly add up to a lot. Take some away from that 380 figure due to the airlines lodging observations in favour of the infrastructure and it leaves even less. Also when you consider the population that would be/ is exposed to some noise, from either ends of all 3 runways, DCC, Meath county council (east), and Fingal constituencies, 300 applications shouldn’t exactly be taken into too much consideration when the economic benefits to 5 million across Ireland is compared with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Totally agree. What is being reported does not reflect the majority of the local population. The media have helped create this storm because these kind of articles are popular and get lots of clicks. And then politicians jump on the bandwagon to get publicity.

Are they going to publish an article about a multi generation family that all work in the airport. No.

You would like to think so, but I find the objectors are generally always a minority. Just a loud one that gets listened to far more than they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Not the first time and just the usual Ryanair tactics but I agree with everything in that piece.

Its the Green TDs who've been calling for a cap on numbers at Dublin consistently in the media. Its the Green TDs who're against expanding the cap.

They're the only party coming out against it consistently at a national level, they're hugely to blame for this.

To blame for making efforts to discourage the expansion of DUB.

It's a free country and they are entitled to register their views. It's the planners' job to make their decision independently of Government, taking all factors into account.

When they're voicing views that are potentially hugely damaging to the economy of the country, and the quality of life of Irish voters, then we're perfectly entitled to register our displeasure with their views.

Which is why, thankfully, the Greens are now facing electoral wipeout.

There’s a lot of government support for it don’t forget. Finance minster is the latest to come out with his support.

Surely the ABP decision on the night flights must be due very soon? The time frame for these decisions is ridiculous.

Just listened to Kenny Jacob’s and Ciaran Cuffe on Newstalk. Jacob’s came out the better. Due to announce tomorrow that the bus capacity for Dublin airport in 2025 will be 35 million. Ciaran spoke a lot of BS and didn’t come off that well at all.

The idea that if Green Party TDs lose their seats you will stop having objections at County Council level to increased traffic and airport movements is beyond farcical. We've all seen the utterly ridiculous pieces in the newspapers about hellish lives under the flight paths. They are absurd, but that seems to be the kind of nonsense that local councillors listen to.

Rural TDs of all parties have been attempting to block effective expansion and usage of Dub for decades, often incredibly successfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Its basket case ecomonics to not increase the cap.

Flights wont be dropped if Dublin Aiport doesnt increase its cap.

They will just be diverted to other airports and the business and tourism will go with them.

Advertisement