Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think the blame lies more with Sky Sports on their tabloid esque coverage of this whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sky have really gone to the dogs.

A friend who is somewhat into F1 said he doesn't see the excitement about this move. His point was Ferrari have been pretty hit and miss the past 2 years, and even worse at times before that, his other point was Hamilton will be 40 when he is at the team.

I kinda see his point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah yeah that's all true. To be fair, I haven't seen a huge drop-off in Hamilton this year. He looks to be still on it. He scored a third more points than Russell last year.

In the Schumacher days, they had a German driver and an English team boss. You can see how the Italian-Anglo-German team leadership would add to each other. Hamilton might bring a bit of rigour the Italians need. He might want to start with their pitstops and strategy, but that's another story.

Ah yeah but what do you expect? It's a showbiz industry. It's natural they cover it in tabloid style. The sober analysis is behind paywalls. The free coverage has to pay with clicks so it needs to be sensational. I don't like it but I can't blame them. It's just the business model.

• Advertisement

English team boss? Jean Todt is as French as they come. You mean Brawn? He was never boss at Ferrari.

I’ve seen mistakes from Hamilton. Spa and Singapore in 2022, and Qatar this year, coupled with poorer performances, and I know the car wasn’t up to snuff but still, he is a 7x WC.

He is bound to not be his best, it’ll depend how far off he is when lands at Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Gratefuuuuuul operatoooooor... 🤣

Ah, a mistake or a poor weekend isn't the point. He always made mistakes. Max made mistake this year. He was solid and stuffed Russell's over the season.

Yes, Todt was team principle. What position was brawn? Designer? Whatever his title, he was important. The Italians need bit of Anglo discipline and cool headedness to stop them collapsing into and orgy of back-stabbing and cries of 'etc tu, Brute?'

He was the technical director, but they were all under the leadership of Todt and Luca at that time. They had formed a close circle for decision making for the F1 team, there is a video on it somewhere.

If Ferrari need some “anglo discipline”, it would be in a role like Brawn’s, where they oversee the operations. However, that version of Ferrari had a real mix, French team principle, South African designer, English TD, German driver.

Hamilton is there to drive the car, not run the team. He will have influence but not like Brawn etc.

Yes drivers make mistakes, if you compare his seasons before 2022 (where Russell beat him, by the way), the mistakes and underperforming has risen. It’s not a dig, it’s natural for a driver to go off the boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hamilton only lost to Russell in 2022 because of the mess up that Mercedes made of that car and all the testing and experimenting they needed.

You put Hamilton into a car that could win a championship and he'll be competing. Same goes for Alonso. I don't think you could say the same for late stage Kimi or Vettel...

• Advertisement

Yeah. The fewer Italians in control the better. Anglo, French, African, German, whatever. Just get the Italians out and get decent management in.

It's natural for drivers to go off as they age, but there isn't great evidence of it with Hamilton yet. He lost to Russell in Russell's first year at mercedes and hammered Russell in Russell's second year? What does that tell you? Hamilton got faster in 2023? Russell got slower? In truth it tells you nothing conclusive. But it's very difficult to conclude Hamilton's gone off the boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Four car launches next week:

Monday: Sauber and Williams.

Wednesday: Alpine.

Thursday: Cash App Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

And they said Andretti wouldn't bring any value to F1! What even is the point of Haas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Andrea Stella, the team principal at McLaren, is Italian. Nationality is a poor indicator of performance potential.

Russell drove the same car and got a win, if I recall. You could equally say Russell had the worse luck this year then with reliability etc, make the most of what you have got etc.

Probably couldn’t say that about Vettel or Kimi, but Hamilton will be 40 by the time he gets there. He hasn’t lost it fully, but his mistakes in the past year point towards a natural decline, much like Schumacher.

Spa 2022, Singapore 2022, Italy 2023 and Qatar 2023 stand out as errors that he just wouldn’t have made before. Couple with some really drab performances (“but it’s the car”) over those years as well, it very much points at going off the boil.

Russell, as I’ve said already, had the worse luck with reliability in 2023. If you add it up over the 2 years in general they are really close, Hamilton shades it over one lap.

It’s not exactly an insult to say a driver approaching his 40’s has gone past his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I think there is too much for Hamilton to do for another championship, he has too many other drivers to beat now. I think Piastri, Norris, LeClerc, Russel and Alonso are all on his current level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well they were the best new team to do well in there first couple of years recently when they came into F1 in 2015.

Its rather stupid what your man said here do. If he had of been cleverer about it he could have said we will be last at some races and maybe do better at others. Maybe he is just being brutally honest and too honest at that but maybe that is his way of seeing and doing things.

Would have been much better to say we will be competitive in the midfield in some races but maybe not the first one as it will not suit our car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think he has given up on the idea of an eighth WDC. He knows nobody is beating Max / RB until 2026 at least and by then he's 41 or 42. I don't know if he's getting slower or not but he certainly isn't getting any quicker like most of the drivers you listed. It looks like a Ferrari drive is a bucket list thing for him so he's ticking that box instead. I reckon he'll spend 2 years there, get a few podiums, maybe even a win, and then retire.

Sure. Sure. And Ferrari is staffed by mainly Italians and is immerse in Italian culture. They're consistently probably worst value for moneybteam on the grid. With the best of facilities make above average cars. With top drivers on top dollar they sometimes even compete for wins. They have consistently poor organisation, in-race strategy, pit stops and have an arse covering and back stabbing culture that means they make terrible decisions. Mercedes talks about their 'no blame culture' where they don't care who made the mistake, they need to identify the cause of the mistake so they don't make it again. Ferrari has a 'no fault culture' where they pretend problems don't exist and keep making them because admitting to making a mistake reaults in being blame, backstabbing and firings. Last years pit strategy was farcical and they flat out said there wasn't a problem.

There was a period in recent history when they actually for their act together and they had leadership from around the world. For whatever reason, they consistently fail to live up to their potential.

• Advertisement

2 bad races a season. I think we ignore mistakes when a driver is winningand focus n them when the driverbisnt winning. Max made mistakes this season. Doesn't matter because it had no impact on the outcome.

It's not an insult to him. Kimi had gone to seed by this age and Vettel went off the boil from the age of 30 or 31 in 2018. I dont see great evidence that Hamilton is gone off the boil. The odds say he ought to be slowing down by 40, but the results don't agree.

Ms

Well Lewis has spoken for the first time since it all started.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A good statement, very gracious.

He has really blown the 2025 drivers market wide open with this. I'd imagine Sargeant will be gone also, if any of the drivers in the bottom to midfield fancy a promotion to a bigger team this is the season to drive the wheels off whatever car they're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The point of Haas, and any other back marker, is that they provide 2 extra seats on the grid. Even if a team is shite, they can still be a good proving ground for drivers. We've seen that many times in the past. That said, Haas aren't the best example of a team giving up and coming talent a chance... Actually, you're right. They are a bit pointless now that I think of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Interesting, according to Peter Windsor he's heard Albon has been offered a 3 year contract at Red Bull starting in 2025. He mentions it in responding to the first question of his live stream, so no need to watch the lot. 🙂

Not sure what that means for Ricciardo if true, maybe it's a case of Horner not wanting Merc to poach Albon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭thefa

I think there’s plenty to suggest the elder statesmen were some of the best performers on the grid after Verstappen. Hamilton and Alonso had varying performances from the cars, anything from the second best car to the 4th for the most part but turned in generally very good performances over the season.

I guess the bar is very high for them. For comparison, some people would say Sainz had an amazing season and while I think it was very good with a great win, he still managed butcher a significant points lead over leclerc who also had more DNFs.

Hopefully it’s all a good sign that Hamilton and Alonso have a few good years still to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Good to see Suzuka is on the calendar until 2029. One of my favourite races of the season.

Ms

Does not necessarily mean that Albon will accept it do. If Albon goes there he will be a number 2 driver. If he were to go to Mercedes he has the chance to be a number 1 driver as the number 1 driver is leaving there. I think Mercedes would be the better option for him.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

If anything the results absolutely do agree. He went from winning a race in every season to winning none in the last 2, along with the clashes that I have mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

How does the move benefit Ferrari, is it just PR? I don't think Hamilton is much better than Sainz, and surely they're paying him more?

Advertisement