Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

I presume the Tector rumour is true as 3rd choice then as Humphreys isn’t good enough for a development deal. If Doak became a 10 who dipped in and covered 9 that would be fine, he was always a good 10 coming through the system but for some reason they wanted him as a 9, which he has shown he has a good few limitations around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I hope there's a better outhalf lined up than Tector. He's a solid player for exactly what he is, a third choice option for squad depth whilst he develops.

Doak, Flannery and Tector would be an extremely inexperienced and flimsy outhalf depth chart. I think they would have 7 combines starts at outhalf in their professional careers. Lowry is there also but I think the ship has sailed on him as an outhalf option.

It's really critical that there's someone else brought in for such a key position especially when there isn't great depth/experience to play alongside them at scrumhalf and guide the ship aside from a 34 year old Cooney.

Yeah, completely agree with this.

You can't waste a year or two of the whole squad's development by not having an outhalf who allows you to compete. There is absolutely zero point in having a guy like Steven Kitshoff there on his salary, if you don't have a capable option in the most important position on the pitch.

This isn't the NFL or NBA, there's no reward for 'tanking' a season. They must have some semblance of a plan at 10 if they're letting Burns go.

I've also heard it rumoured that Petrie is out the door (which might give Ulster fans some cheer) but likely to be replaced by Bryn Cunningham (which will likely take away that cheer again).

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

There was a rumour doing the rounds yesterday that Alan Solomon’s was coming in as DoR, that would tie in with Petrie out and Bryn moving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

"....This isn't the NFL or NBA, there's no reward for 'tanking' a season. They must have some semblance of a plan at 10 if they're letting Burns go....."

I love your optimism. Ulster live by the saying "Failing to plan, is planning to fail"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's rumors that Frawley is going north? Even if they do sign Tector, I think in the long run he will be a good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

After last night, barring injuries, it is difficult to see an Ulster player featuring for Ireland in this year's 6N.

There will be injuries though, and possibly some rotation for Italy at home.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see any of Stewart, Henderson or even possibly Timoney feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If Italy somehow shock England, I can see the same Irish team but hopefully you're right.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

Most of the Ulster players in camp will get game time during the championship, probably against Italy or Wales. McCloskey is pretty much guaranteed one start. Henderson could have come off the bench last night with no drop off in quality. O'Toole and Stewart both need game time.

The only one I can see with zero minutes is Stockdale. I'm not sure if he's been showing enough for Ulster to start and he's not the kind of player Farrell goes for as a 23rd man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sorry if we are letting Burns go to sign Tector and that is the height of our ambition then we are royally f*****.

Not sure I'll be forking out for a ST in that instance. Absolute shambles

I was thinking HB was going north?

Another idea for Ulster would be to sign Murphy when MacFarland leaves. I really rate Murphy.

Another couple of impressive u20's Ulster lads on display yesterday. Ward is very tidy and Boyd looks a really good prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don't really get why Boyd was playing on the tighthead side, but him and wilson as the future young props seems great to me.

Hopes looks great at 6. Ward seems kind of out of place at 7. It actually shows how big gleeson is as ward looked massive playing ail. He's big but maybe not as big as gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I see Griffin is in the Ireland Clubs squad so must have been released also.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

That doesn't sound likely unless it's a temporary consultant role. Ulster aren't getting rid of McFarland mid season despite what some people might like. 🤣

Alan Solomons is now in his 70s and rugby has really moved on from him.

It was probably his only involvement in the 6Ns but I thought McCloskey had a really good game yesterday. Strong in the carry, good passing/offloading and some big tackles. To be honest he couldn't do much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

It looked effortless! some of his passing was sublime to open the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

He's a very skilful player. A couple of coaches have just wanted him to bash it up, but his offloads and deception in Peel's last season were amazing.

He loves a filthy offload, and that's why Schmidt never wanted him - didn't trust him to not do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Damned if you do, damned if you don't against Italy. 5 star performance where his attributes are perfectly suited to the opposition.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

McClosky is a valuable squad member but suffers from being the 3rd best 12 and only being a 12.

The real mark of his career will be whether hes retained in the squad when Aki (2 years older) drops out.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭supernova5

great program last night - Andrew Trimble for Ulster & Ireland

Addison away back to Sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I wouldn't feel any particular way about it tbh. He undoubtably improved our team and was a key player when he first arrived but his injury history speaks for itself and he hasn't been the same player since his return. Our squad would certainly be weaker as we just don't have any quality in the back three to replace him, but I assume the higher ups will see the wage bill going down as a win.

If he does leave then the 15 jersey will be shared between McIlroy, Lowry and Stewart unless I'm forgetting someone. Each have huge downsides in their game and I'd rather leave Stockdale on the wing now that he's regaining form.

A shame he was so injury prone.

Can't help wondering if the shedding of expensive players is also about making it possible to pay off D McF early.

I wonder if Richie Murphy fancies a crack up North?

I'd be happy to see Richie go up to Ulster. He'd need to bring in a new team. The coaching set up as it stands, is poor.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Advertisement

Do they? They say it's not having an affect on the players off-pitch, but I don't see where they say it's not actually true?

Advertisement