Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers who must have won their licence as a prize

• 02-02-2024 10:01pm

I thought these were done away with but apparently they were giving out licences in flipping wheatabix recently or something.

Coming to a roundabout today, proceed through heading for second exit (road straight ahead), when to my left a car begins to approach which would be no problem had they followed the correct course of the roundabout but instead they decided to drive directly through! Just adjacent to the dead centre which almost caused them to collide with me.

I swerved and managed to avoid them but what I cannot believe is they had the fcuking cheek to beep at me then follow me up my arse flashing their lights!

how can someone be so stupid as to drive straight through the centre of a roundabout and then become belligerent with another driver they almost hit? I don’t engage in road rage because it’s just pointless but I’ve never wanted to get out of my car so badly and just ask them what the fcuk is their problem exactly.

It wasn’t even the first near miss today, coming out of Oylegate in Wexford and if those familiar are aware of the Gala store as you’re about to approach the traffic lights before the pubs, some joker just pulled out in front of me with barely a few meters between us only I managed to swerve into the filter lane to avoid him my car would be fooked and potentially worse.

Just such inconsiderate stupid driving these days it’s incomprehensible how someone can get behind the wheel of a massive heavy box of steel and drive with such disregard for their or others safety. How can you read a story about 3 young people killed outside Carlow and get into a car and act like a maniac?

Besides the fact your man at the roundabout nearly hit after dark (it was about 5:30pm), flashing your lights into my rear window non stop is so dangerous.

I haven’t got a dash cam at the min but I’m looking to order one this evening because I would 100% be sending the footage to the traffic corps and I’m usually one to let things be but this was pure luck I didn’t get hit today on two separate occasions tbh.

This turned to a bit of a rant but please give me your stories of near misses and absolutely fuckwits. Just interested to see what kinda craic people have seen because I can’t lie today was really a shock! I knew folks could be dangerous behind a wheel but Jesus I did not think it could get this bad!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

On the M7 yesterday evening in the left lane about 1km from the N9 merge, doing 105 km with cruise control on, not a lot of traffic in any of the lanes, a VW id4 was coming up behind me in the centre lane probably doing 1 or 2 KM more than me, just as it was about to come up level with me it suddenly veered towards me and I had to swerve into the hard shoulder to get away from it, I'd reckon I was almost on 2 wheels for a split second and came close to hitting the barrier, the id4 pulled back into the centre lane and slowed right down so I couldn't express my feelings to them 😊, I'm not sure was it driver error as they definitely had to see me, as they were overtaking me, or was it the cars lane assist doing something stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I was driving to waterford yesterday on the motorway not to far from the city. I was doing a 100 k in the left lane a car pulls out from the hard shoulder slow as **** in front of me. Had to slam on the brakes. Fuckin kam a kazie idiots out there.

This is just one of many incidents in the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

Brake tappers everywhere when a car comes in the opposite direction.

Lots of Indian nationals lately with not a clue how to drive. Is it a straight swap or are they fake licences. One Indian national very recently owes me, when he pulled out from the hard shoulder on M7 near newbridge Curragh exit in front of a articulated truck. Straight out like coming out of a parking space. I slowed quickly and flashed to let the truck into my lane to avoid the smash. Clueless to what was about to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I reckon if you randomly picked 1000 drivers and gave them a test on how roundabouts work no more thwn 30-35% would know the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are certain cars or car regs or other signifiers which are red flags for me; especially as a cyclist who has had some hair raising situations on the roads.

i won't mention which counties on regs i keep an eye out for, but 10 or 15 year old passats are one category you'd give a wide berth too. the nurburgring stickers seem to have fallen out of favour these days, that's another useful signifier about drivers to keep clear of.

my usual trite comment to other drivers is that if you really want to know how bad drivers can be, and don't fancy getting on a bike, just stick up an L plate on your car. you'll see an immediate deterioration in the behaviour of about 10% of the other drivers on the road, in how they treat you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Some ejit was driving behind me lately for ages with their full beams on, I put my hazard lights on but they didnt figure out why I had them on eventually I slowed down to a crawl and lay on the horn, they got the message then but it still took them a while.

people like that shouldnt be on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

A picture is worth a thousand words and the dashcam thread in Motors has been a bit quiet lately, I think you lads should all install cameras and give boards a bit of free entertainment (as well as an excuse to critique your driving).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I posted elsewhere here about seeing five or six drivers do fairly stupid crap during a 30 minute trip on the M50 recently, whereas it would traditionally only be one or two drivers that would reach that bar on one trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I won't type.out the everyday shi$e driving I ensure. The.ost would be.ao long I'd probably be banned😜

It's unbelievable the lack of basic cop.on, manners or even, God forbid. Application of road rules around.

Is it people.on phone? I see so many. The latest, to me anyway, is having the phone.nounted on drivers door so yer want/man's head has to swivel around to read latest important social media updates😧

The fact that they have to take their eyes off the road for a length of time is not even worth considering as dlfar as I can figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

lots of thick as a brick ass holes out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Older VW and Audi saloons are usually driven by absolute asshats with zero patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

My favourite one is cars crawling behind a truck or bus on the motorway in the left lane.

I approach at higher speed in the right lane.

They then leave it until the very last minute to move into the right lane, often without signalling, and then also proceed to continue at the same pace rather than speeding up.

Simply pull into high speed traffic without a care in the world.

They must have a death wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Baby boomers.

I’ve payed taxes all my life so I can drive like this, and have been all my god damn life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭jacool

Worse than that are people who think they have their lights on, but don't. They have small, not very powerful lights at the front, but nothing at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

Experienced this with two smaller Mercedes two weeks ago. Low light, around 5pm approaching Navan. Both grey cars too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've always noticed how WW plate cars will always indicate the opposite direction to where they're going on a roundabout. Of course I ended up mixing to Wicklow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

As a pedestrian I truly believe that there are some drivers out there who would drive over you if they could. And there’s a special place in Hell for drivers who park their car up on footpaths, forcing pedestrians on to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Driving on a motorway today and as I approached the end section just as the two lanes merged into one I saw a car stopped on the hard shoulder on my left. When I was about 6ft away from passing the car the driver suddenly pulled straight across my car and went into the right hand side lane and drove away going the wrong way driving towards the traffic coming straight towards him on the motorway behind me. I couldn’t believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It’s getting to the stage where we will all need dash cams. Traffic cops seem to be an exceptionally rare breed in this country.

I’m on the road a lot and I encounter crazy behaviour basically every day in one form or another. Everything from incompetence to recklessness to aggression and distraction.

M50 southbound this morning wasn't too bad for traffic as it all got caught on N7 inbound accident. Weather was crap but there is no excuse to trundle down the M50 from Tallaght junction to god knows where at 50kmph in the middle lane with traffic going either side of you at 80-90kmph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No indicators, backing out into traffic, running red lights and drivers on phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Lack of indicators really annoys me. Drivers just sailing round a corner in their own world and don’t bother indicating. Maddening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I got mine with 300 Flavahans porridge tokens.

🙈🙉🙊

Wrong indicators is worse. Drivers indicating right on roundabouts when going straight ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Always been thus and road fatalities a lot less that in say 1950s - go look up the newspapers of the day then in the archives.

Back to school maybe? This is apparently what driving instructors teach in order to pass the test. That is, to signal right if you are passing more than one exit before you intend to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I didn't even see this one in the news

Driving instructors would not be in line with Rules of the Road if that's what they're teaching.

• Advertisement

Driver done a runner and left his passenger. Nothing even in local news about it.

Advertisement