Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Where did I say criminal??? Are you making stuff up again?

What other mechanism have Re-Turn to "go after" a retailer?

You have clearly no idea what are talking about and fear mongering to cover up the incompetence of a scheme you are deeply ingrained in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

he does'nt mean any wrong, he just seen something thats untrue and responded to it thats all. This is the internet a place where we shouldnt really take anything too personal and only take all with a grain of salt. We just chatting anyway. Everyone is free to disagree with anyone.

i'm focusing more on re-turn and how to actually benefit from the scheme, or help others whoc can't make it to an rvm but also make a bit of money on the side helping out (i'm not a charity lol)

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I just posted that link as a piece of information.

Yes, a link I commented on and ask a pertinent question about.

That's how discussion forums work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ah look, dragging things down an avenue to avoid discussing your original point.

Do you not think ReTurn could turn around and look for the deposits?

No “crime” has been committed. Things can end up in courts without criminal proceedings.

• Advertisement

Where is my “untrue” statement?

ReTurn could go after them. Whether they’d win or not is up for debate. Whether ReTurn have the autonomy to make their own decisions is not.

You reckon ReTurn couldn’t turn around to the shop and ask for the deposits to be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Read the link and make your own mind up.

"What are talking about ?" was your question.

i had a larger response typed out but i felt it was too harsh, so imma take a different route and respond in a different way that answers with a legal question instead

"If they don’t charge the deposits they may be liable for them" How can return prove or even know the shop sold those deposits people made? the cans are destroyed upon being fed into the machine. And pointing at a shop and saying "they musta got the cans from there because they have stock that matches this description" is entirely speculation and argumentative. Lawyers would have an objection field day, infact it would'nt even be put infront of a judge or make it to court as no actual crime had been committed, and even if there was a crime comitted, it would have to be proven and not based on a hunch or heresay. Also who's to say maybe the cans without the return logo were "purchased" by someone BEFORE feb 1st, and then redeemed in the RVM after?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

On a point I think I must have misunderstood. Can anyone clarify?

My understanding:

Between 1 Feb and 31 May both old stock (old barcodes, no logo) and new stock (ideally a new, registered barcode, logo) can be sold. DRS to apply only on items with logo (easier if they have new barcode, otherwise done via running out old stock, before adding new, and adjusting price on shelf /till).

What seems to have happened:

From 1 Feb deposits must be charged on every plastic bottle can in scope that is sold (even if an items barcode will never be used after 1 June).

Where is my “untrue” statement?

LOL.

Last week you were telling everyone it was a crime to charge a deposit without the logo, this week you are saying it a crime not to charge a product without a logo.

That is Premier League level spooking God love you. 😂

• Advertisement

They can audit the shop. It’s very simple to look at how much they paid ReTurn and how many eligible containers were sold.

Thats the risk.

They wouldn’t need to do what you suggest.

They have absolutely no idea which products can be returned for the deposit, so they tried to force all retailers to charge a deposit on everything.

The consumer is being robbed, several retailers see this and refuse to participate in something that actually could be illegal, it is certainly immoral.

It's worth noting again, that Re-Turn tried to force the retailers to dump all their stock, the retailers said they would but compensation would have to paid immediately.

That wasn't happening so in order to minimise the exposure for Re-Turns incompetence the consumer is being robbed.

Of course the minister should be in charge of their brief and all over this, with the potential of a pause until the mess is straighten out.

But he has proved beyond any reasonable doubt that he is dangerously stupid.

So maybe with an election looming it may have to go up the chain for anything meaningful to happen.

re-turn (or anyone) can't simply just "go after" anyone, thats not how courts or the legal system works. if there's no case there's not time wasted. there is safetly measures in places for this sort of thing, long story short if there's no case to be made its thrown out during the filing phase and deemed invalid, and they can get find for wasting the clerks time.

"ReTurn could go after them. Whether they’d win or not is up for debate." Also a company would never take someone to court if they didn't think they could win, where is the case? no potential only talking out the backside. "Whether ReTurn have the autonomy to make their own decisions is not." Return can't just decide to go after someone, there needs to be a legal reason for it. if no law has been broken, there's no case and no argument.

imagine i take you to court based on accusing you of taking cookies from my moms cookie jar, despite probebly living miles away from you and only based on seeing you upload a profile picture eating a cookie 5 minutes after my mom discovering someone had stolen her cookies. Thats as silly and as possible to take you to court, as what you're proposing with re-turn. Would'nt even make it to a court.

i bought a couple of bottles yesterday and was only charged on 1 with a logo. the rest had no logos and no deposit charge attached. infact i've seen a shop get a delivery of non-logo cans and was shocked.

We just need to keep our receipts and cause enough hassle/nuisense by returning the bottles to the store you purchased them from to manually get your deposits back if the machine does'nt give you a deposit voucher. These shops if they do give you a refund on the deposit manually, will then in turn crush the cans/bottles and throw them in regular trash or regular recycling i imagine.

Bottom line any shop charging you a deposit on cans/bottles without a logo is either taking the piss, or those bottles can be redeemed for deposit, if they don't keep your receipt and bring them back

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Greyhound upped my monthly fee by 15% from 1st March. No doubt this is to offset their loss of income from plastic bottles and aluminium cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Someone on here said previously that Ireland does these big implementation projects well. Not sure if I agree fully with that statement but if true previously, this yoke will have to be classed as an outlier

You don’t think return could turn around and look for the deposits?

fair enough, we disagree.

What I said isn’t untrue. It’s my opinion they could seek payment of the deposit.

no, they can't "audit the shop" where are you coming up with this? Thats not what an audit is, and no, even that "It’s very simple to look at how much they paid ReTurn and how many eligible containers were sold." is not possible. and if it were, it can be circumvented with how the cans are being sold.

Also how can they say who sold what? cans could have been stock purchased before any feb scheme. shop isnt liable for selling their own non-logo stock. if the barcodes can be redeemed for deposits then big deal, thats re-turns problem not the shop.

the risks you keep talking about look like fear mongering due to lack of understanding how legal system and audits work. its like "i dont know anything about law or anything im talking about so i will type some word salad and fear monger/warn of something and say potentially as i dont really know what im saying, and just say its possible somehow, i will figure out typing how its possible as i'm typing it, i might come up with something. maybe if i speculate"

also they don't pay return for non-logo containers.

You’re just spinning an argument. What I said isn’t untrue, ReTurn can seek that those containers sold should have been charged a deposit and seek that the shop is liable.

It’s my opinion that they could do that. It is your opinion they couldn’t.

Section 8 of membership rules:

https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/DSRI-Retailer-Membership-Rules-FINAL-June-2023.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I thought the shops were charged the deposit by their supplier when they buy the cans, like how VAT is passed along the supply chain? Less admin overall, nobody needs to track the point of final sale, each seller in the chain is responsible for themselves. That would make sense. Wouldn't surprise me if re-turn went for a more complicated system prone to error and deposits slipping through the net.

i know return can't turn around and look for the deposits. this is'nt a simple disagreement over an opinion, what you said is untrue despite it being an opinion. it was your delivery, you stated it as fact or a legal possibility when it is no such thing at all. i hope you don't feel attacked over it or take it personally, but it is important for other people to correct any sort of misinformation like this when they see it being posted to the forum.

what you said IS infact untrue, that really is the point. Also calling it an opinion does'nt make the other persons side invalid either. If i say "its my opinion the sky is green and red color" i would be entirely wrong, and my opinion would be untrue.

You don’t think return could turn around and look for the deposits?

I wouldn't rule anything with this shower.

But according to one of the many pdf's you dumped, Re-Turn not the retailer are on the hook for any products that pay out on the the machine without having a deposit collected.

So if they do come looking for theses deposits, I'm guessing NO will suffice.

No crime has been committed so no my local shop are not taking a big risk as your fearmongering nonsense post suggested.

Again the only potential crime here is if the shop charged a deposit without any recourse to recoup that deposit. Re-Turn are knowingly telling them to do it, that is fraud plain and simple.

You yourself spent last week telling everyone that.

You’ve said they can’t be audited, they can.

Why would ReTurn audit a retailer if not to recoup money?

Section 8:

https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/DSRI-Retailer-Membership-Rules-FINAL-June-2023.pdf

yes, that is on purchases WITH the logo. This whole convo is about purchases without the logo. What you said is untrue and what you're saying is untrue. "ReTurn can seek that those containers sold should have been charged a deposit and seek that the shop is liable" that is untrue.

The shop is in no way liable, for selling containers that bear no logo. Return has no case, and no knowledge of where such cans have been purchased from. There's no evidence from the machine as it destroys the can upon reverse vending it, and no evidence from return's side as no deposit were paid on them. Like i said already, a shop could be selling off stock they aquired BEFORE returns feb 1st thing, and also who's to say a person did not buy the can before feb 1st, and redeem it after? these things need to be proven if it were to go to court.

no evidence and no legal basis for argument = no case

I’ve never said a crime has been committed. your words.

Im glad you accept they could go after them. That settles it.

Glad to know you don’t want my evidence anymore. I provide the pdfs to show where I get the information from and point people to the exact slide or paragraph.

re-turns policy you keep linking is not law lol. link some legal articles lmao. return cant audit a shop for non-logo stock. its absolute nonsense to think otherwise

My understanding is that it’s charged at the point of sale. Tesco own brand water is an internal product so it’s charged there.

I think that’s what I’ve read but I could easily be wrong. It was a long time ago I read about the flow of money in the system.

you said in other words: there was potential for legal consequence arising from a shop selling deposit worthy cans without logos, and claimed return could go after them and called it risky.

was entirely fear mongering based due to uncertainty and lack of legal process understandings.

no potential and no risk

• Advertisement

They are the membership rules!

Section 25, 26 and 27 of the same document outlines the Dispute Resolutions. That’s how they “go after them”.

It’s very clear ReTurn can audit books in relation to what in-scope containers they have sold.

Come on BoardsBottler, there’s clearly sufficient proof there. Retailers are bound by these rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement