Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removed from civil service panel

• 01-02-2024 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 17

Note:will the mods put this post in the correct forum please

I applied for a job in the civil service, I had to pick two locations, I got an offer last Autumn, it was a location that didn’t suit so I asked hr what would happen if I turned the job down so I was told by person and an email that I would be removed from the panel from the county that I got offered but I would remain on the panel for the other county, so I turned down the offer after serious thought

I made enquiries around Christmas and I was told that I was removed from the panel, I asked why and I was told that you can’t turn down a job and remain on a panel so I explained what I was told and I got an email back saying that I was given incorrect information and I am gone off the panel, so I once again explained my case

What would people think I should do next, surely I don’t think it’s right that I am penalised over incorrect information, I made my decision in good faith that I received correct information,I would appreciate all replies and views please

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 17 feb2024

I’m having problems, I’m not getting my email to activate or verify my account,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

You need to post it in jobs..but anyway normally you get to pick two counties.if you turn down one you are removed from that county and stay on the other

I’m awaiting an email to verify my account, I can’t seem to post there yet. Hopefully the mods will move this thread, so with the facts I have given do you think I have a good chance to fight this decision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Augme

Was the competition through PAS?

• Advertisement

Sorry could anyone help I have tryed various ways of activating my account and I’m not getting the email verification, I’m anxious to get some feedback on the issue I’m discussing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Ask pas in writing to confirm you are excluded from both counties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have you pm'd the mod in question

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Appeal it. You were told you would not be removed from the panel for the other location.

Do you have the original information booklet? Check that and see what it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Appeal it. You were told you would not be removed from the panel for the other location.

Do you have the original information booklet? Check that and see what it says.

I was told twice that I would remain on it and confirmed by email but the booklet says that you are removed so I don’t know what to do but my decision was based that I would remain on it

Look at the public jobs website. You'll want to research section 8 appeal and you'll also find information on the cpsa website too. I suggest emailing them telling them you'll be left no choice but to put in a section 8 appeal if they don't overturn the decision.

Thanks I must do that, they don’t seem to be giving me any information when I contact them asking why I was told wrong information they just keep saying that I’m removed

I wouldn't bother getting into a back and forth on it. Just go straight to mentioning you'll appeal it if not replaced.

And how did they make the mistake and who would be responsible?

Depends on what exactly the mistake was. Check the information booklet to see if it specifies the rules around the removal from a panel. If it doesn't, the person who sent you incorrect information made the mistake probably not realising they were making a mistake. I was under the impression that if you are removed from one a panel for one location, you remain on it for the decond location but they may have changed that.

That’s exactly what I was told until I got on to hr again at Christmas making enquiries and then I was told I was gone

I think the booklet says that you can’t turn down a position and remain on the panel

That is what makes this situation awkward I am been told conflicting information and I have said this and all they is is that I was told wrong information, I don’t think it’s fair I’m penialised over someone’s else’s mistake

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The terms for the competition as set out in the booklet are ultimately the rules you sign up to when applying. However there's nothing to be lost in appealing, especially if you have the documentary evidence of your query and the response received.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Hi, I hope things work out for you.

I just wanted to check sonething. You say you contacted HR at the time of your offer but that it was a PAS competition.

Was if your own HR, the HR of the Department making an offer or PAS that told you that you could turn down the post and stay on the panel for the other location?

If it was a PAS competition then it would have been PAS that would have needed to confirm what happens. A person in a Department's HR section may not have been able to advise on PAS rules.

Yeah I was reading that, and the booklet says that but the person I was speaking connected hr before I made my decision and hr told them that I could remain

Sorry, the department contacted me with an offer, I was very undecided and gave plenty time thinking about it so I asked the person in the department what would happen if I turned it down so they said that they would check with hr and get back to me, so they got back to me and said I would be removed from the county that I got offered but would remain on the other panel, this was confirmed with an email saying hr were informed of my decision and they got back saying that the panels had been extended and I had a better chance of been offered something

But I contacted pas at Christmas and I was told that I was removed from the panel

still can’t verify my account and move this to the proper section which is very frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It sounds like you have nothing to lose by submitting an appeal, so why don't you concentrate your energies on that instead of trying to get this moved to another forum, which will only provide replies from more anonymous boardsies who are not in possession of full information......

It really doesn't matter what anyone on boards says - the only place you'll get a definitive answer one way or the other is from PAS.

Thanks, but if I lose an appeal would this go again me in the future if I was applying for a job again

No, it won't count against you. Also, if it was HR in a department who told you that you would remain on the panel it is much less likely you'll win the appeal. They have nothing to so with the process.

• Advertisement

No it was the hr in pas told the hr in the department that was confirmed in a email

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's enough of this misuse of the DRP forum. The OP maybe new, but the rest of should have known better.

@feb2024 as above, you were advised to email hello@boards.ie to sort your account if the automated email doesn't work. Once that's fixed you cana sk in the proper forum.

This is being closed in the meantime, as there's little point in moving it where you can't reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement