Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting

• 18-01-2024 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Would someone know if an employer can fire someone for failing Garda vetting?

My employer implemented new requirements for everyone to be Garda vetted. This was never a requirement before and I was never asked about it, I’ve had no issue of submitting my application but I’m sure it’s going to be rejected.

I deal with people sometimes over the phone but don’t have a direct contact with any kids etc.

So now I’m not sure if I should just tell my employer about it and if it is rejected if I can then lose my job? Thanks

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Do they fail everyone with a conviction or just those with convictions children related, surely they can't fail people for traffic offences etc, you need vetting for all kid related stuff now, rightly so but a pain in the arse that one doesn't cover all activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Notmything

Are you sure it's Garda vetting and not background checks they are doing.

Vetting is only for those who would be in contact with vulnerable people. Unless the system has changed it's not available to employers that don't meet this requirement, and even only for employees who fulfill such a role.

Fwiw, you don't pass or fail vetting, it merely discloses information, it's up to an employer what they do with that information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Employers cannot just bring in Garda vetting. There has to be a reason based on need, not want

I am a first responder. I get vetted as I am in contact with children and vulnerable people. My wife is in a childcare worker. She has it due to contact with children.

I cannot see how accounts require this. You need to check.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Moved from the Help Desk to Work & Jobs.

-Shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your employer has a reason for requiring Garda vetting, and they put in an application for you, then what goes back to them is a report about what convictions(*) you have. How that applies your suitability for the job is for your employer to work out.

A conviction for a dishonesty is probably an issue for someone who works in accounts, irrespective of dealing with vulnerable people.

All that said: Your company's HR policies probably to require you to notify your employer of any conviction that you get while working for them. Possibly they've gotten wind of the conviction, and this is simply a way to remind you.

(*) and maybe other things, eg outstanding charges - I've never actually seen a returned report.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Presumably you are talking about a background check not Garda vetting....

Working in the financial are and having a conviction for theft is going to be problematic, no doubt about that. You probably won't get fired, but you probably won't progress with the company either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 overthemountain

Would anyone have any idea if this would be a red flag in a garda vetting? I got fired from a job after a dispute with a coworker in a another country. The dispute escalated and I refused to work with her as she went back on her word to aplogise for her part (after we both had agreed to). So, I think I got fired on the grounds of refusing to work with her. Petty, but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LooeyWalsh

Garda vetting would be past criminal convictions. It would not have anything to do with previous employment history, I would imagine that would only be flagged if your previous company was contacted for a reference or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 overthemountain

Thanks for the reply. That's reassuring. It was 15 years so guess it's unlikely they'd go back that far for a reference. I hope.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The chances of a company being able to give any kind of reference after 15 years are not very high. Most of the people you worked with will have moved on or will have forgotten about you. And with all the data protection stuff in the EEA countries at least, the retained company records will probably only cover payroll and pension entitlements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement