Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

"Overwhelming circumstantial evidence", "hundreds of pieces".

🤣

Seriously, there's SFA - a few haggard pieces which when looked at in a jaundiced light and given legs by lies, misrepresentations and manufactured evidence just about qualify him as consideration as a suspect - for about five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There’s a lot of verbal diarrhoea in this thread that’s for sure 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

Upset? The opposite. I find it quite funny that people still fall back on a DPP report that has been shown to be shambolic by the passage of time. But carry on. Some of the theorizing that goes on here reads like a bad episode of Murder She Wrote, where the obvious suspect is never the killer. I do like a bit of humour with my cornflakes and coffee.

Ah so you’re a conspiracy theorist - great now I know the cut of your jib- thanks for clarifying that 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

Never let facts get in the way of a good story. The is circumstantial evidence that the French looked at it for 10 years. Case closed haha.

• Advertisement

Actually might be quicker if a public poll were used for conviction in our justice system. Round up a selection of suspects and vote on which one is most likely, put most voted in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Obvious suspect?

Daniel is an obvious suspect. All set to divorce his unfaithful wife and shack up with his new (pregnant IIRC?) squeeze. Stands to gain financially. Never interviewed by the Gardai and doesn't even come to Ireland. Somewhat eyebrow raising story about being all pally with his soon to be divorced wife, and how he's arranged to collect her from an Aer Lingus flight that doesn't exist.

Alfie is an obvious suspect. Known to have had beefs with Sophie re land and the gate. Lives next door. Involved with drugs. 'Didn't hear nuttin' the night of a vicious murder.

Now before I get attacked as a conspiracy theorist, I'm not saying either of them killed her - I have no idea who did, but I'd be reasonably confident Alfie didn't - but surely either of them is a hell of a lot more of an obvious suspect than the chap who has no known connection with her and whose involvement in the killing requires belief in quite a fanciful timeline - and against whom not a scrap of solid evidence exists.

Jesus you’re scaring me now given some of the claptrap people are posting here as their opinion 😀

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Nope you’re not a conspiracy theorist- these are clear leads that should have been investigated - those and others too. The couple of men who died at their own hand may well have held the truth too- but that ship has long sailed.

Obviously all these people remain innocent in the eyes of the law- as I know you agree too.

Theres a huge difference between highlighting a clear and obvious line of investigation that wasn’t properly followed up or even investigated in the first place and a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭chooseusername

" I find it quite funny that people still fall back on a DPP report that has been shown to be shambolic by the passage of time".

Maybe the DPP should fall back on your West Pork Codcast.

• Advertisement

Why West Pork? Was it because it’s a pigs ear of a programme? 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe we should just disband the DPP and replace them with people in their bedrooms making podcasts?

Can you put hand cuffs on a horse?

Hoof Cuffs or spancils, it’s part of the kit in the boot of the Garda cars.

Indeed, stored next to their standard issue Colt 45

Thankfully when people actually get onto juries they tend to become way more objective.

In the days after the murder Alfie was an obvious suspect. Daniel less so, but a suspect nonetheless. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then and a significant burden of evidence hangs it on Bailey. If you still at this stage believe it was somebody else, then you require a conspiracy that involves multiple Gardaí and multiple witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It doesn't have to "require" a conspiracy. Statement without foundation.

Witnesses can be mistaken. Over time, memories play tricks on people. Even eye witnesses of actual crimes can get facts wrong. And we have no eye witnesses here to the crime, just observations of indirect things.

But as it happens we have multiple instances of Gardai conspiring on this case in unsafe and illegal conduct, also including witnesses. And tampering with evidence.

But strangely that's a "conspiracy" that doesn't bother you. Proof positive this is a bad faith argument.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

At least the podcast and documentaries got out there and interviewed witnesses. The DPP was only reading statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Daniel or those associated with him was never ruled in as a suspect because the guards were precluded from investigating him.

"It doesn`t have to "require" a conspiracy."

It absolutely does. Do you really think that one garda might have been responsible for changing Jules Thomas`s statement that she signed in the presence of her legal representative and all the others turned a blind eye? Bailey said at one point he was questioned by 10 or 12 different interrogators. The DPP gave far to much weight at the time to the fact that Jules was telling the media that she didn`t say a lot of the content of her statement. Do you think that the DPP would have held that same opinion if he was aware of what Jules would tell Philip Boucher Hayes in that RTE interview in 2017?

"Witnesses can be mistaken"

Of course they can, but there comes a tipping point when you have to conclude that they can`t all be mistaken or making it up. That point clearly came in the `04 libel case when over 20 witnesses gave testimony under oath that directly contradicted what Bailey told the court and Bailey`s legal team got the opportunity to cross examine them all. Bailey lost. It`s as simple as that. Again the DPP actually gave weight to Bailey`s testimony that was contradicted by multiple witnesses. Do you think Delia Jackson for example, who was home from London for 4 days that Christmas imagined the bonfire?

I don`t dispute that there were elements of this investigation that were "unsafe" or "illegal". But they don`t amount to a conspiracy and it certainly doesn`t make Bailey innocent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Two guards talking about altering a witness statement is a conspiracy.

Guard(s) destroying evidence is a conspiracy.

Unsafe conduct with witnesses is a conspiracy. The shenanigans with Marie Farrell and Martin Graham was a conspiracy.

There are multiple witnesses supporting Baileys version of events, witnesses from inside and outside the household.

Over time, witness recollections become ever more unreliable, including statements made by people involved in the case such as Bailey and Jules. Witnesses who have actually witnessed crimes can get details wrong. Multiple that effect by years and years of time.

The Guards in the area whipped the locals up into a hysteria with smears about Bailey, that's a conspiracy.

Witness the humiliating conduct of a grown man like Bill Fuller reduced to a gibbering wreck when he thought he spotted Bailey in a field!

The trial you refer to was not a murder trial. It was a libel case on specific questions.

And it wasn't just one DPP who didn't proceed with prosecution versus Bailey, but multiple ones, including after a Garda review of the evidence in 2002 which did re-interview witnesses:

2002, January: Commissioner Pat Byrne appoints a review team under Chief Supt Austin McNally to examine the Garda investigation into the murder of Ms Toscan du Planter following Mr Sheehan’s highly critical analysis of the original investigation.

2003, March: A new file is submitted to the DPP following the McNally review but the DPP, James Hamilton, again decides against a prosecution due to lack of evidence but says that the matter will be reviewed if any new evidence comes to light.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2024/01/21/ian-baileys-three-decades-in-ireland-accusations-assaults-legal-battles-media-scrutiny/

That same review is described also in The Irish Independent:

The DPP's report angered the garda team that investigated Ms Du Plantier's murder. On the strength of it, the Garda Commissioner dispatched two chief superintendents to review the murder inquiry, Austin McNally and Joe McGarty. They took a team to West Cork and reviewed the evidence. Suspects were revisited, statements analysed, and witnesses re-interviewed. Their inquiry revealed similar shortcomings as the DPP's review but produced no fresh suspects.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-complex-and-secret-private-life-of-fragile-sophie/26805384.html

But sure, your point has already been totally discredited above, let's hand over the legal process to the keystone armchair detectives and lawyers in the West Cork Podcast over that of multiple DPPs.

The only conspiracies that have been established in this case all relate to Garda misconduct.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I sat on a jury a while ago- a better bunch of normal ordinary people you couldn’t get - I’ve actually great faith in the Irish jury system right now

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Oh stop with your factually correct statements will you - you’re derailing the thread 🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You might have to explain that to some on here who couldn't be bothered doing a bit of their own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I always veered just a bit more to the innocent side than the guilty side when it came to Ian Bailey's involvement.

Sure, he relished the limelight, he may even have wanted to come to Gardaí attention in the hope of cashing in later.

He didn't move away from the area until quite recently I think, and it appears no admission of guilt was left in written form to be discovered after his death. I think a man like him would have enjoyed one last dig at the Gardaí if he actually was guilty.

Reading about the concrete block from the pump house made me wonder if someone may have turned off the water to lure Ms. Toscan du Planter out. This would have timing implications though, as a person might not necessarily miss their water supply during the depths of the night. It's obviously easier to monitor the proliferation of evidential material in daylight too. I guess I'm entertaining the idea that it wasn't spontaneous.

Furthermore, the use of 2 implements, block AND stone, may suggest the POSSIBILITY of a second person being present. Descriptions of her injuries lead me to think that a "second attack' (frenzied) was "superimposed" over the first (strangulation). A further hint at the involvement of a second person.

I’m very conscious few on this thread know the origins of that picture or remember the TV series it came from 😀

I doubt Sophie knew where the water through her tap came from, let alone go and investigate. She would just call the Hellens.

I have often thought there may have been more than one person involved. There appeared to be two types blood at the scene, the older darker blood on and around the gate, and the newer fresher wet blood on the upper body attested by the Gardaí first on the scene at 10:40 , and also the local doctor at 11 o'clock. Is it possible someone came back to finish the job, a family member perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

I’m not a Bailey fanboy just someone with an open mind

Its outrageous that the son was allowed on the LLS and unchallenged, spout inaccuracies

The French police ran the Irish police when they tried to make enquiries over there. The French system convicts on hearsay and the trial they did was a complete ready up

The husband should have been questioned….that is basic stuff

Advertisement