Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

theyre bound by the rules I’ve linked. Those rules clearly state they can be audited.

Ive got things wrong in this thread. This ain’t one. Come off it, I’ve given you ample evidence.

They can clearly be audited!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only candidate for an audit in this shít show is Re-Turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

these are dispute responses relating to containers bearing the logo, the term audit is misleading in this case. in re-turns case its simply looking at data which shows how many cans was sold with a deposit. its not the same "audit" a shop gets from the tax man, they simply use that word for simplicity sake in their own documents you keep linking.

either way, there's still no case or legal basis for the fear mongering things you was sprouting earlier relating to people putting cans without a logo into a machine and getting a deposit. you claimed return could look for these deposits from the shop, which they cannot, and then you went on to say its risky and a bunch of other untrue stuff. Theres no risk or legal potential as the same cans could have been easily sold before a deposit was even legally mandated (meaning feb 1st). if anything its the person knowingly returning the can that can be petty fraud but even that isnt the stores problem, like i said earlier its returns problem and nothing to do with any store. return have no knowledge of which store said can came from. theres no legal risk at all. even a special re-turn audit does nothing in this case

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

There was no fear mongering.

Ive used the term that’s in the document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Same audit would show that the retailer didn't pay the deposit when purchasing items they're not charging a deposit on.

Two anecdotes from two different stores today.

Local petrol station has an exemption. Has small a4 signs saying they are exempt. They have a qr code for customers to find out where they can return bottles/cans. Doesn't name any other business so the advertising your rival business claim by retailers appears to be overstated.

Went to a supermarket chain and the wife wanted to buy a multipack of 500ml bottles of water. Unclear from labelling whether deposit would be charged. No visible Re-turn logo. She asked a staff member if they were in scope and was told that she'd have to pay deposit but wouldn't get money back. So we left them behind us.

Nope you didn’t.

I think the shop are taking a risk by not charging the deposit. Others are claiming I’ve lied (or said something untrue). I’m struggling where the untruth is in having an opinion.

An opinion can be wrong but in this case untrue? I don’t know how ReTurn are handling non-logo items being sold in shops but can be reclaimed by RVMs. My understanding is that shops are mandated by ReTurn to charge a deposit and effectively give that money to ReTurn. They can be audited and this can be picked up quite easily. I don’t think Boggles knows how it is being handled either (who I was responding too). Hence, it’s my opinion and he has his own opinion. Neither are lies or untruths. I don’t see how it’s scare mongering (are the shop in this thread????)

Is the above likely? No. Did my original comment warrant a massive back and forth on the topic? Absolutely not, it’s a tiny comment blown out of proportion by Boggles as he does with everyone who disagrees with him (not that I disagreed with him in my original post, I said fair play to the shop).

• Advertisement

You are making a holy show of yourself.

No shop is getting audited over this.

The shít show is Re-Turns and Re-Turns alone.

Shops very clearly can be audited. Whether shops are audited over this is a decision for ReTurn.

Youre the one that has completely blown something out of proportion. You’re the one who brought crime into it (I didn’t) and said I was “scare mongering”.

Fair play to the shop for standing up for what they think is right. I hope there are no consequences for them - now, what’s wrong with that statement?

It's still on the main text of their frontpage

When you buy a drink in a plastic bottle, aluminium or steel can that features the Re-turn logo, you pay a small deposit in addition to the price of the drink. When you return your empty and undamaged drink container to participating shops and supermarket, you get your deposit back in full.

Sure tis a bank holiday i suppose. 😂

What relevance is this? I hope there are no consequences. I’m glad the shop has stood up for what they believe.

You think there are no consequences and can be none.

accurate and fair? Or do you want another endless back and forth?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's really amazing that anyone working in retail would tell you that you have to pay a deposit with no chance of getting it back.

Staff training must be a low priority in that store.

You did the right thing leaving it there.

hope there are no consequences for them

There won't be.

Fearmongering and daft tangents about audits doesn't make it any more likely.

If anything I can see the organisation that represents at least the smaller retailers take a case and try get it paused.

We are in the situation where the retailer is obliged to

Ensure all in-scope stock has the Re-turn logo

Should they be drawing logos on all the stock?

It's a clown show with extra balloons.

So the staff member told the truth and they are the villain?

That Green Man is very powerful.

😂

So you want an endless argument?

Can you not agree that there are different opinions?

It’s ReTurns decision to audit the shop or not. I think it’s unlikely but within their remit.

I hadn't read through rest of thread yet. I don't honestly know if they can be audited or investigated etc. Agree it doesn't really merit the subsequent back and forth. But it takes two people to have a back and forth. I wouldn't see much difference yourself and the poster you've named...

My point was that if they were audited they will have invoices that show they didn't pay any deposit on the drinks at time of purchase and then wouldn't need to charge a deposit.

The deposit is supposed to be circular. Producer pays deposit on items putting them into the system. Retailer pays deposit when they purchase stock. They should then charge the deposit when selling that stock. That's what I'm getting from the Re-turn website faq. I don't think Re-turn would have any recourse.

You want me agree to a strawman argument which is moot to the actual discussion.

The only reason you introduced audits is to try and hilariously back up your nonsense that Re-Turn could go after my local shop for a mess solely created by Re-Turn.

Ah no.

• Advertisement

I didn't say they were the villain.

If anyone was wrong it was whoever is responsible for training staff in the store.

You just don't tell someone that they have to pay a deposit that won't be refunded and let them walk out without the item they wanted.

It's illogical and bad business.

I don't know what a green man has to do with anything.

You think honesty is bad for business?

Better lie to customer and let them be robbed?

Interesting.

That’s fair enough if you see myself and Boggles the same. I try to post in good faith. I don’t think he does.

What’s happening with all the stock that has no logo where shops have been told they’ve to charge a deposit but wouldn’t have been charged a deposit when buying it? It’s just old stock. I’m referring to those with international barcodes.

Are the shops keeping these deposits? I would assume that they are not and give the money to ReTurn. This shop is selling them without the deposit costing ReTurn money.

ReTurn may very well have no recourse as there’s no barcode and theoretically there’s little to no difference between selling them on Jan 31 and Feb 1 but they also might have recourse. That’s why I said it’s a risk. Nothing more, just a risk. I didn’t say it was a fact.

I would think the above is reasonable and there’s “a” risk.

No, honesty is really important in business.

I didn't say they should lie.

The correct thing to do would be to refer them to a manager/supervisor.

It's not the fault of a junior staff member and they shouldn't be put in that position.

Where’s the strawman?

The shop are selling items that can be redeemed at an RVM without charging a deposit. Thus, costing ReTurn money.

You linked a statement from ReTurn yesterday saying deposits should be charged on some non-logo items.

I brought in audits because I made a tiny statement you blew out of proportion. An audit is how they would go about it.

You have an opinion and I have an opinion. Neither of us have unrefutable facts and both arguments are entirely logical. I think there is a risk for the reasons outlined above.

of course, you’ll dispute this further. I’m done. I went to post to agree with you on something and it leads this. Best of luck, other people should be able to discuss stuff.

Why would they refer them to anyone?

The customer asked a question and got a factual and honest answer.

Why the need to escalate to a manager?

The shop are selling items that can be redeemed at an RVM without charging a deposit. Thus, costing ReTurn money.

That's Re-Turns problem, they have assumed that liability.

The clear financial risk during the transition period, comes from the use of existing barcodes, which may result in payments to consumers on stock, on which no deposit has been paid

Retailers who operate an RVM will not be exposed to any financial risk from international barcodes on containers returned through an RVM. Any containers accepted by an RVM are valid and payment of a handling fee will be forthcoming.

Maybe they need to hire competent people to run it. Or at least ones that actually sound interested in their job.

But I imagine as always the public will pay for their failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

Not really. It is the shop that is losing.

The shop pays their suppliers who are charging them and if not passing on it is the shop losing 15c/25c on every bottle.

That's the problem with some "generational" retailers - the latest generation think they know it all set and won't participate in representative groups.

They will work out they are the ones losing money soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

potential and risky are terms in the document? either way regardless, you were fear mongering. You called it risky and gave an illuson of legal consequence to anyone who buys the cans for the purpose of redeeming them to get the deposit, but you aimed the consequnce towards the businuess selling the non-logo cans instead.

i don't think i can be how clear in how wrong you were, and there's no point bickering back and forward over law vs what their own policy says, but it can be easily settled and demonstrated another way.

let's pretend you are re-turn and i am a shop that sells non-logo stock, come at me.

Where do you begin to take legal action? what can you even do? Where is the threat of legal action coming from? you're turn, go

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement