Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm all for diverse opinions in the broadcast media...

Good one

Where are all these diverse opinions in broadcast media? The fact is, there are very few - Gript seem to be the only ones calling out the Govt on a regular basis and I think it's fairly obvious where you stand with them. In fact, it looks to me like the 'Gript thread' was started with the sole purpose of discrediting them - There are some people that say it like it is (like Niall B and below list) but they are dissed by the likes of yourself. I must give some credit to Newstalks PK and Barry Whyte too - They've done some great work

The bottom line here is that most reasonable people would agree with the points made by Niall in that interview. A bit like the majority of people in the last 5-6 polls think the Govt is making a complete balls of it - Even the Govt themselves know this and that's why they're desperately scrambling around looking for solutions and kite flying about getting tough (albeit 2 years too late) - Idiots!

You however, looked at Niall's interview through the prism of your obvious bias and see Niall as some sort of a mini Himmler

These people have all stated in one way or another, that what's happening here is a mess

Cormac Lucey (Sunday Times)

Michael McDowell

Marc McSharry

Karl Deiter

Lorraine Sweeney (hotelier)

Barry Whyte (NT)

The farmers alliance crew and their constituents

^they're hardly like something straight out of 1930's Germany generally to be found hanging around beer halls in Munich are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Hotels are making absolute bank off all this, but pubs restaurants and other other businesses that rely on tourism are being decimated, good thing we have a steady stream of immigration, as it is essential for the economy... apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

No that's not in their interest. They are replacing the tourism industry with the asylum seeker industry for two reasons, incompetence and corruption. Every generation of Irish politicians finds an angle to enrich their cronies.

A huge amount of the money being sunk into asylum seekers can be traced to people with strong political connections. It will all 100% come out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The reason there aren't a load of Niall Boylans on the radio or TV is because he is part of a small minority in his viewpoints. Ireland is not "full", nor is it swarming with unvetted males. It's not that these voices are somehow being kept off the air - it's that nobody really wants to listen to them. The people calling in to his show and saying 'Good on you, Niall' are out on the fringes of the political debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

More examples of pure deflection and attempting to downplay the current situation,

Sounds exactly what the government social media accounts have been spouting over the last few days, while they attempt to downplay illegal immigrants and bogus asylum seekers arriving here enmass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ireland is not full yet we have had 10,000 homeless people every year for the last 10 years??

Yeah but Ireland isn’t full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The reason there aren't a load of Niall Boylans on the radio or TV is because he is part of a small minority in his viewpoints.

No he isn't and you know it. It's media control along with the fact that people don't want to get 'cancelled' by the very small amount of very loud lefties, that were so loud, the Govt actually thought that's who they were playing to - Again, idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is arrogance and Irish exceptionalism of the highest order.

As a country we are absolutely awful for self praise. Given that Irish people are burning down refugee centres, it’d be time for Harris to cool the jets a little bit.

Clearly Ireland has massive problems with integration that are getting worse rather than better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I asked earlier what's an alternative expression for Ireland is full. It came about as a hashtag and the whole point of hashtags is they're meant to be short and catchy and not long winded. It simply means that Ireland is stretched. You might have seen people you don't like using it but you can't deny it does sum up quite neatly that Ireland is stretched to breaking point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Is a anyone still arguing for this algerIan dunce to be allowed in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly - it's an oversimplified catchphrase used mainly by racists.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So what's an alternative phrase? Look forward to your suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland is not full is equally oversimplified.

And it would be wrong too. The Irish Times reported yesterday how there are more than 730 asylum seekers without accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Do you use just an if-else statement ladder for your responses? I recommend using a switch() case instead, it will run a lot smoother in your compiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Theres ~500000 adult children living with their parents because there's nowhere for them to go

Theres people stuck in broken relationship living together because one of them can't move out.

Theres homeless Irish families living in hotels.

I could go on, there's many more examples.

Ireland is not full, it's beyond full.

Anybody who thinks otherwise, is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not proposing anything alternative. I don't entertain racist narratives.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Is what the Irish Times reported on a racist narrative? Are the points made by waterwelly in the post above yours a racist narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

In years to come when our tourist industry is dead and we’re making millionaires from former hotel owners we’ll look back on this era as a turning point in Irish society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Maybe this is a good time to drop left centre and right labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Crying racism to try shut down any discussion no longer works, and won't work from now on in Ireland.

you have no alternatives, you have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Definitely. It's never been about left versus right. It's top versus bottom. People being imposed on by out of touch elites. DP centres, green agenda, LGB in schools.

It's only because government here and abroad has been so inhabited by the left and their ideas that those opposed to government diktats are being labelled as "right".

My politics are the same as Fianna Fail from about ten or fifteeen years ago. In the eyes of leftist activists that alone would prove I was on the right. For normal people it just shows my views are in the centre.

And several posters here have outlined how being pro mass immigration actually looks more like 'right'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"People being imposed on by out of touch elites."

The government may or may not be 'inhabited by the left' but they sure are willing to try and impose their will by right wing methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

At the most simplistic, most basic level when it comes to the argument around the whole Ireland is full schtick - the government came out 6 plus months ago and told refugees and IPA's arriving here that they had no state accommodation available. There was no guarantee of safe accommodation, you could be sleeping on the street or the state might provide you with a tent (hence the tent camps on Dublin City streets).

So how the actual f*ck are we in a scenario where this railing against the notion of Ireland being full is pedalled non stop by Fine Gael TD's and all the refugee NGO's and their supporters. If somebody arrives here seeking refuge, and you have absolutely nowhere to house them, then clearly the place is full. It really is that simple when you break it down regards this single asylum seeker/refugee issue. The government itself has effectively stated that Ireland is full by telling asylum seekers thinking of travelling here that they may end up on the streets.

The amount of times government TD's resort to obfuscation around the notion that Ireland is full is nothing short of despicable. They speak of immigrants working in the health sector, construction,etc. to muddy the waters at every given opportunity. The language those TD's are using over the past 2 years around this issue has sewn huge divisions in society that will take a long long time to heal.

There was once a time where I was a Labour voter election after election and Fine Gael would be one of my transfer options. I can hand on heart say that nothing makes me so angry or so sickened than the sight of Leo, Helen, Simon and the likes of Neale Richmond spewing lie after lie around this issue over the last couple of years. These people are deplorable.

While all of this is going on, the country has all of its main issues collapsing at a societal level, housing, health, public transport, schools. Fine Gael have p*ssed away billions of the country's budget with absolutely nothing concrete to show for it going forward. An astonishing failure of a party and a government. I hope we never see their faces in power again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

All very true but as long as we have hotels available they will say we’re not full

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As long as they have tents they can hand out and streets they can pitch them on, we are "not full".

That is going to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The anti-immigration lobby are way more authoritarian IMO ; they want "law and order" solutions to everything. Bans on immigration, arrests, detentions, vetting, deportations etc....this is all classic right wing authoritarian stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Catherine Martín, another one promoted way beyond her capabilities. Like MCEntee and Varadkar they are Titanically out of their depth…

Sadly the price of their incompetence is being felt as you say by small businesses up and down the country. I wonder if their businesses were the ones suffering so badly would remain so blasé…

No, no they would not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement