Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

What do they do in every other ground in the country?

Salthill the last day for example?

Anyway,it doesn't matter as it was a dumb idea and they've been slapped down so common sense prevails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Christ above, it sounds like a war zone out there from reading some of those meeting comments. As for the Chairman's comments about how charging for championship games solves the problem... they ground is half empty at League games, that is the reason kids have that bit of freedom.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Is the same fuss made in other counties where this is also common place.

I can see why some are concerned but the thrill and joy kids get after a match from getting a signature or a selfie overrides that for me.

If the players had an issue with it, then fair enough, put a stop to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is the same fuss made in other counties where this is also common place

I doubt it, Mayo County Board seem to be unique in their ability to do stupid s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

That's a little bit disrespectful.... to Cork.

They've come close to our level of stupidity on a few occasions in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Westernview

I don't agree that it's common sense to let unaccompanied kids free into games when they can swarm the field afterwards and cause difficulty for stewards. Our fans seem to be the main culprits for doing this. There are many cases of parents dropping off kids at the venue and picking them up afterwards and there are so many reasons to try and prevent this.

1 - Pitch damage - Last year the PA announcer repeatedly requested people not to enter the pitch afterward in order to protect the surface. That fell on deaf ears. There is huge pressure on pitches as it is with so many games played at all levels.

2 - Injury - Unaccompanied kids running around the pitch can get injured leading to litigation and increased insurance premiums.

3 - Unfairness to players - After playing up to 80 minutes on a winters night I think players should be allowed to acknowledge the fans in the stands and leave the field to recover. Ive seen players still on the field togged out up to an hour after the final whistle. In any case a lot of those kids are getting the same autographs for the upteenth time. Special meet the player nights are more appropriate for all this IMO.

4 - Stolen footballs - up to 20 footballs were stolen in one game alone last year. Stewards have been instructed to ask for the footballs back but not to run after kids in case they fall and sue the county board. Thats €1000 worth of footballs taken from a cash strapped board and the same again every time it happens. Its as much a respect thing as the cost. Do we want to encourage kids to keep doing this?

I actually did think that the first 1 or 2 invasions were amusing and harmless but as the crowds got bigger and bigger I just think its not on anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I agree with all of the above. I can see the attraction of running on to the pitch at full time to meet the players but half time is madness.

I seen grown adults on the pitch at half time in galway the last day. Cop yourself on.

Was half expecting them to be blamed for global warming as well.

Sarcasm the lowest form of wit.

You've no problem for the situation to continue then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We’re talking about unaccompanied youths arriving and getting in, and once they’re in the ground, going on the pitch

Surely it'd be a better solution to say that no unaccompanied U16s are allowed entry to the ground, should be easy enough to enforce?

As mentioned earlier, the only real issue that I would have was if the players didn’t want it. And players have enough of a voice these days to stop it if they wanted to imo.

I would also be against anyone running on the pitch at half time, they should run the risk of being ejected from the ground if they do so.

On the other points.

Pitch Damage - I would be more concerned with the €300,000+ the County Board spent damaging the pitch.

Insurance - McHale Park is 75% concrete, a game wouldn't go ahead if you wanted to worry about someone falling and smashing their head on the concrete seats.

Stolen Balls - your story sounds like a tale from an overly dramatic county board official tbh. If they can't manage to retrieve the vast majority of balls from the crowd then I would worry about their ability to host a match.

Mountain out of a molehill stuff. If it's safe to let kids run onto the pitch and as long as the players don't mind, then let them off. It's has been done up and down the country for generations.

• Advertisement

I think players are under a lot of pressure in terms of interacting with fans. I don't believe that many of them would prefer to stay out there rather than get off the field.

The county board clearly cannot eject a accompanied juvenile from the ground. The problem has to be addressed on terms of having adults with them preventing them going out on the field in the first place.

The same applies to them taking the balls. Stewards cannot be chasing after them.

That's a ridiculous comment about the board spending 300k to damage a pitch. They clearly developed a good surface and any issue were afterwards with from not restricting the amount of games. This has since being addressed. The board have said that post match invasions undermines their attempts to protect it. But never mind you know best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Are we really giving out about kids running onto the pitch at HT and kicking a ball around?

They're about 40kg so doing **** all damage. If there wasn't a big deal made out of it by the lad on the tannoy then it wouldn't be as big an issue. For years young people ran on at HT and ran off again when the players came back out.

As for the balls going missing, that's unrelated to the kids being on the pitch

James Fallon (Mayo Gaels) announced as the Breaffy senior manager last night.

Have to say I thought Konrad Coghill did an exceptional job last year. Well beyond any expectations I had for them.

Excited to see how James gets on. Some great talent coming through (Livingstone, Beirne, Tunney, Neary, Coghill and that super young O'Shea lad at the edge of the square) so if he can get them playing like he had Gaels' in '21 it could be great to watch.

They definitely exceeded expectations in getting to the final. There's still a sense of deflation over that game itself but I don't think many would have imagined getting there to begin with.

There's a bit of talent coming through but I would worry about the overall strength of the team and squad. When compared against the best club set ups, I think there are a few weak spots in the first 15 and not much of bench versus the best.

Can't say I know much about Fallon at all, great achievement in getting Gaels to senior but did he step down or get replaced before sampling senior management? That seemed harsh if he was replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

To be fair, I think the issue isn’t as much to do with running on the pitch but more the general anti social behaviour. The pitch issue is a problem but one of many. Young people stealing footballs, damaging facilities, destroying jerseys (apparently writing on players jerseys with sharpies while the players are meeting fans) etc are all reported by stewards at the games to be regular occurrences last year. As well as other anti social behaviour in the toilets and other areas as the game is being played (drug use etc). The reality is a number of young people who have no interest in the football are heading to Machale park on match day to cause trouble. Stewards (these are volunteers doing this remember) are in a difficult situation as these are minors so the stewards are reluctant/unable to apprehend and put a stop to it. €5 entrance fee would really help as it would have turned away a nice few who were just using machale park as their venue for causing havoc. Not sure what other solutions are available.

Lots of other county grounds are far enough out of town to discourage this kind of behaviour. And Croke park charge €5 for juveniles - I know they do this as it’s designated seats but you can be sure it helps with behaviour also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Leave it free. But no entry unless accompanied by an adult.

I heard about the sharpie stuff as well. Kids writing their names on players jerseys. Stewards were verbally and physically assaulted at the Galway league game last year. A lot of people on here are saying the invasions are harmless and overblown but that won't hold much water when someone gets injured.

Even just the abuse and disrespect is unacceptable. It's increasingly difficult to get stewards to come every week and they should be able to enjoy their role but these incidents will turn people off doing it. Same in the case of referees where there are inevitable shortages.

Ideally accompanied kids let in free is the best solution in theory but I wonder if that's very difficult for stewards on the gates to police. Charging may be the only way to discourage those with no interest in the game to stay away.

Antisocial behaviour at that level is news to me. Maybe I was too flippant about it previously. I've never experienced it myself at McHale Park.

The only similar antisocial behaviour I've experienced at a match was in the Hill where there lads (not minors) absolutely coked out of their heads. They were "mayo fans" as well, but they were from another county altogether and had no interest in the game.

Have we really got a problem with u16s doing drugs in the toilets in McHale Park? I would hope that we don't. If so, it's not really a stewarding matter, it's a policing matter.

I've no real issue with young kids running on the field to get autographs but I've never seen one running on the field with a stolen size 5 up their jumper or while on drugs. The issue seems far greater and completely separate to younger kids running on to get an autograph.

U16s shouldn't be allowed in unaccompanied, I just presumed that was a rule already tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

A pity if it would have to come to that - why wouldn't a 16 year old lad and his friend be able to go to a Mayo match without having Mammy or Daddy going with them?

This is hilarious!

Drugged up teens marauding around MacHale Park stealing footballs........and malicious use of permanent markers!

It's like a heading the Connaught Telegraph would come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Maybe my post was not clear enough. On occasions last year footballs were stolen. On occasions last year damage was made to facilities. On occasions young people wrote on players jerseys leaving them unusable for future games. On occasions last year anti social behaviour was reported in the area behind the stand (including the toilet area) while the game was underway. Some of the incidents were connected. Some were not. Each issue was relatively minor and not newsworthy on its own. But the pattern of anti social behaviour is increasingly becoming a problem. The county board are rightly trying to find a solution before it gets out of hand. I don’t often defend them but I totally see where they are coming from on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Paul B says:

February 1, 2024 at 9:35 am

@muckle – i dont think it was a lack of preparation against Cork. there was a mental fragility in the team last year. When things went against them they buckled on more then one occasion. The Cork game was more or less won, even if the performance wasn’t great and then a fragility opened. Same fragility was there against Louth and Roscommon. And against Dublin, after a great first half where we could have been 5 points up, as soon as the pressure came on they buckled. I dont believe it was game plan at all. That fragility could well be a function of uncertainty in their individual roles, over prescriptive coaching or an innate lack of confidence, but I hope developing the mental strength to cope with adversity and giving leaders on the field the space to play heads up football formed a key part of the winter programme. Above from Mayo Gaa Blog, a concise summary of Mayo 2023, if Mayo Management do not put alot of work into mental preparation of the TEAM, 2024 will be the same as 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Different manager but the year before was no different. Started well against Kerry; Clifford was on the periphery and hobbling and they looked well set. He got a goal, heads dropped, and everyone lost their heads. Some of the shooting was beyond belief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Lads, wont know until the last minute if can make the match or not, i presume there is no time limit on buying tickets and i can buy one right up to throw in or even after?

You can definitely buy up til throw in and I'd guess a while after aswell.

I've seen lots of lads rock up and scrambling on their phones because they didn't know you can buy at a ticket van anymore.

You'll be grand!

Mayo team is as follows:

1. Colm Reape, Knockmore
    2. Jack Coyne, Ballyhaunis
    3. Rory Brickenden, Westport
    4. Sam Callinan Ballina Stephenites
    5. Paddy Durcan (C), Castlebar Mitchels
    6. David McBrien Ballaghadereen
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin Westport
    8. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    9. Jack Carney Kilmeena
    10. Conor Reid Bohola Moy Davitts
    11. Fergal Boland, Aghamore
    12. Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels
    13. Aidan O’Shea Breaffy
    14. Paul Towey Charlestown Sarsfiels
    15. Ryan O’Donoghue, Beal and Mhuirthead

Towey in for Tommy

Ladies team named also, I'd say they'll be up against it on Sunday

Any idea if we might see Mattie/DOC/Enda in the next few weeks or if those are expected to be longer term?

• Advertisement

Sorry TDN,

No concrete info on these.

I hear Rumours DOC not far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Dublin playing an ultra-thick blanket here 🙄

Hmm more open than it looked like it was going to be…

Solution to the kids on the pitch was having organized kids games on the pitch !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Whelean saying Mayo have a fear of Dublin. Ffs

In fairness Mayo showed them far too much respect in the first 15 minutes. Hopefully the second half they'll go for it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Some ridiculous turnovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Why was himself taking that;?

On a knife edge…

GET IN!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I know it's only February but beating Dublin any time is focking brilliant.

Savage ball by ROD to Boland for the winner

Terrible scenes at the end there. Hope there aren't too many casualties

Ropey at times but they kept at it.

Best thing about it all is to win at home against the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Great win . O shea usually well Marshalled against dubs and no different tonight . Once run at them we did damage .

We gave up zero goal chances . This pleases me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

That's been the big thing from the two games. We have never looked like giving up goal chances. If you can keep teams to points, you'll be in every game down to the wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I feared for my life,.

I saw one fella up the back of the stand with a permanent marker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Good result

HitnMiss performance.

The forward line still doesn't pose any fluency or efficiency, but at the same time we seem to show better understanding and more solidity at the back.

Advertisement