Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Qualyfing containers are clearly defined in all re-turns literature.

Again because it is the law.

4) The refundable nature of the deposit shall be made clear to the consumer in all material promoting the scheme and all points of sale.

And as the CEO reiterated on national television Monday night, No Logo - No Deposit.

measures to be undertaken by the body concerned relating to the dissemination of information to the public regarding the Deposit Return Scheme

😂

They have shifted the goal posts, which by my reading may not actual be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

"ReTurn will define and interpret the law as needed at this stage" Re-turn are not the government, they cannot change law or define it as they see fit. Law is set in stone, re-turn cannot change law or choose only to interpret it in such a way to result in their favor. Law is law, and applies the same way to all, except for anyone who is exempt from the law, or has lost their legal rights. Re-Turn is not exempt from the law, they're a non-for-profit organization. They don't create law, they only have power to create their own policies.

imagine if trocaire had clothing banks with deposits, and had people trying to say what you're saying lol its just a charity or non-profit at the end of the day. No real power as they provide no real service to anyone. if government mandated all clothing stores to have a deposit on clothes that is refunded by trocaire when the clothes are donated, it doesnt give trocaire any power, only an advantage over other clothing deposit banks at best.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭bren2001

Well then. The shop are in breach by your strict interpretation. An an inscope product does not include the logo in the definition by law.

Do you accept ReTurn have the power to audit?

Again, nothing I’ve said is untrue. I’ve now provided you the law.

Again, go back to my point. It’s a risk. That’s all I ever said. You are interpreting the law now. See what you’re doing? It’s not a fact like you claim.

It’s an opinion. I have a different opinion.

The shop are taking a risk. Unlikely to ever see consequences.

13. (1) A producer shall not place in-scope products on the market unless he or she is a member of an approved body.

(2) A producer will pay the deposit to an approved body for the in-scope products they place on the market at the point when they place them on the market.

(3) A producer shall charge a deposit on all in-scope products he or she places on the market in the State and provide the consumer with proof of payment of the deposit.

(4) A producer shall –

(a) register with an approved body,

(b) provide details to the approved body with whom they have registered of all in-scope products they place on the market,

(c) pay any registration and producer fee as required by the approved body,

(d) furnish information in connection with their participation in the Deposit Return Scheme, in such form and at such frequency as may be specified by the approved body with whom they are registered,

(e) label an in-scope product as prescribed by an approved body.

Oh dear, would appear forcing the producers to charge without a logo is also illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jj880

Hang on while I land into Tesco with my website of barcodes as proof they owe me money. Chr!st almighty what a rigmarole.

The government + Re-Turn cant even setup an unnecessary money grubbing scheme without f*cking it up. Shambles.

What is the relevance of this? Are we talking about producers? No.

We’re talking about a retailer. That retailer is selling an inscope product without charging a deposit.

You literally cannot refute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Even with no logo on the bottle (it's old stock)?? I get the way it works for the new bottles with the logo

I thought the machines only took ones with the logo

Edit: sorry just tried the barcode checker thing didn't know about that, thanks! Says it will refund me - hopefully anyway!

Thanks for the help - will be so much easier when they are all new bottles

Type the barcode in here:

https://re-turn.ie/consumer/

Logo or no logo it will be accepted. There are lots of products with no logo being sold without a deposit. These will be accepted by an RVM (irrespective of when they were bought)

given me exhaustive evidence of what? you have not proven any legal course of action that can be taken towards the shop in the scenario being argued/outlined. You just keep saying their policy says this and that, and then irish statute handbook says this and that.

i keep asking about the charges or whatever this fictional legal letter would accuse me of. With no response. You cannot go after someone you only suspect of doing something, and you cannot bring someone to court for something you are unsure/dont care about winning. You say winning or losing is not up for debate, but thats exactly what it is up for, in court. i theres no case/accusation of wrong doing there is no court case period. You dont take people to court to find out if they broke the law lol. You take a person to court because they've broken the law.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

That retailer is selling an inscope product without charging a deposit.

This isn't difficult, the producer cannot charge the deposit to the retailer without the logo.

(elabel an in-scope product as prescribed by an approved body

you keep saying shop is in breach, but what law have they broken? show in a legal letter format how they have been in breach.

what action are you accusing them of doing that says they are in breach?

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/print

Ive linked you the law several times and pointed to exactly what they breach. Have you even clicked on the link?

You’re quoting a section of the law related to producers. The definition of an inscope product is 3(1).

The shop were not charged the deposit but Return have stated they should still charge the deposit to the customer.

Again, the shop is taking a risk. I’ve conclusively shown what they are in breach of.

Ensure a deposit is not charged on old non-deposit stock during the transition period

From Re-Turn

The shop were not charged the deposit but Return have stated they should still charge the deposit to the customer.

I know, but they are not legally obliged to, in fact they could be breaking the law if they do which is my point and the very point of one retailer who was on the radio made during the week.

So Tesco are breaking the rules? I bought a Tropicana earlier. No logo. Charged the deposit. Separate line in the receipt. +15c on the SEL.

So which is it? Tesco breaking the rules? Or the small shop you describe?

Any store who charges a deposit on a product that is not clearly defined by the approved body.

No Logo - No Party.

You agreed with me last week when you stated several times it was illegal to charge the deposit without a logo.

But now it magically is.

😂

So Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, and every other major retailer are breaking the law.

I understand your position. Large multinational companies with huge legal departments are wrong. Small generational retailer is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Another case of rising bin costs.

For some people, to control costs, they will cancel their green bin and use general waste for everything re-turn don't take. We are walking backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Put the barcode into the Re-Turn barcode checker and see what comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's a result!!

And boy do we need it.

A bit of good news in a day of confusion and recrimination.

(I'd still hold onto the receipt just in case 🙂)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bog master

I am getting more and more incensed over this absolute clusterf**.

And along with MUP. I am considering my own protest, tho not without second thoughts. I use one of the smaller Irish supermarkets, then the only choice has treated me very well, particularly doing Covid with home deliveries. Prices not great, lovely staff, but a smallish shop and not nice to shop in.

Aldi arrived a couple of years ago, great prices. wide wide aisles, pleasure to shop in. Since then, I try to take the time to make sure each gets a share of my weekly shop/ For the record, male single pensioner. And I do with the same split with the 3 petrol stations in town, each will get some of my trade. Now off tangent. My protest I envisage will be: insert a can get voucher. Insert a can and get a voucher and so on.Queue up. get me 15 cent and queue and some on. Loathe in some ways as staff in both shops are lovely/ Hmmmm what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

With the greatest of respect; your idea would achieve nothing and probably earn you a nickname in the staff room. Speaking from experience working in a convenience store.

Yes , you may be right but my feelings on this system and MUP have really incensed me. I am a lifelong green person and have practiced recycling and green scene since a child thanks to my parents and grandparents. I am now a pensioner. How else would you suggest I protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He probably is right.

It's a good thing to have nice staff in a local shop that you can pass the time of day with.

Like with Minimum Unit Pricing on Alcohol there is no viable protest with DRS.

All the parties in the Dail support DRS, it's up and running (we'll sort of stumbling TBH 🙂)

I can't see it going anywhere any time soon.

My approach is to try to make sure that every container I pay a deposit on is returned for refund.

I appreciate your comments. However remember the e voting machines debacle of Noel Dempsey passed a Dáil vote as did the Irish Water Bill!

you're still dodging everything i'm saying and giving no genuine answer.

So far you've linked some policies from return, a link saying difference between civil and criminal law, and then some irish law about the mandate of businuesses being told by law to register with return for the purposes of having/getting an RVM on their premises, or for an exemption if they meet the required criteria. i have clicked on all links you've sent me. none of them answer how they shop is guilty of anything, or shown how re-turn can pursue said shop in a court of law.

You made the claim that re-turn can "go after them" if they choose to, and claimed its risky on that grounds. Yet have still not said what charges. To make things easier for you and express your point directly, i have gave you the opportunity to pretend to be re-turn and myself being the shop, and asked you what laws am i being taken to court for breaking? what accusation of laws broken would be written on the summons or solicitor letter? like i said if theres no case/accusation of wrong doing there is no court case. You dont take people to court to find out if they broke the law. You take a person to court because they've broken the law.

if you are re-turn, how do you even find out what shop sold the can to the person who brought it back to an rvm and claimed the deposit on it when none was paid initially? do you just assume it musta been purchased from a local shop and audit them all? and how do you know the can was not robbed? infact how do you even know anything? how can you? machine crushes or shreds the cans it accepts. How do you know there was no logo on the can? there is clearly no basis established for any course of legal action and no risk of there being any. There's litrelly no case here for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,335 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why did they not launch with an App? You could simply check the barcodes at home to find out what would redeem you cash and what wouldn't? Too many items with the logo not on them redeemable to know what's what.

probebly because they don't want people putting in bottles/cans without a logo on them. the machines have this written on them. They only want the logo ones inserted which is hilerious. it would be against their best interests to make it more conviencnt for people to know which logo-less bottles and cans can be redeemed for a deposit, as a good chunk of them were sold BEFORE feb 1st meaning no deposit was initially paid on those logoless ones that made it through initially. it was only after jan 31st could shops charge a deposit on stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Dermot224

Deleted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement