Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Carolan and Ryan Donohoe both played Sigerson tonight. It will be tough for them to go again on Sunday. Liam Brady played too but should be less risk for a keeper.

Cian Reilly came on for TUD so presumably he just didn't make the Cavan squad at the weekend which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I haven’t checked and I won’t be. That even Ray played more minutes that year already proved you wrong. I haven’t even bothered checking if Smith was subbed in any game. I do know he got a black card in one game so I’d see it as quite feasible that another Cavan player may have played more. I won’t be wasting the time on this though - most of your opinion can be debunked with a 60 second scroll on Wiki like the above re counties that played more than six Championship games in a year. You continue to just double down though and ignore the statistical evidence - no acknowledgement whatsoever of the list of almost 25% of counties above who played more than six championships games in a single year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

WAC said Cian Reilly has had a really bad run of injuries but is still on the panel. A fully fit (with game time) Reilly would be huge asset to the panel with league games coming thick and fast.

Cavan aren't unique and I assume each county that has players in action at Sigerson will try and manage them. The Canavans lined out for Queens for example, you would assume Tyrone will play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

As a Meath fan, Im shocked your putting this down as a 50:5o game. Yes its a dearby even though one that dosent get played regularly, and unfortunately one Meath teams get very hard to get up for, for some unknown reason it must be the fact Meath have no players anywhere near the Cavan borders, theres probably some on the panel that dont even know Meath and Cavan border each other, id say you could count on one hand the amount of Meath players beyond north and west of Navan. I always notice Meath get fired up to play Kildare but rarely Cavan or WestMeath. anyway that may point a small bit to why i think that game is 90:10 in Cavans favour. I literally think Meath havent a prayer in Breffni Park, Ill leave you with this stat. 59 years. 59 years since Meath beat Cavan in Breffni Park. its not changing in a few weeks if we couldnt do it in 70s, 80s 90s or 00s all with tteams that won Leinsters, all irelands and league titles.

Cavan going great so far, brilliant win saturday night v Kildare that was the best result if the weekend for Meath fans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I expect if Cavan are fully up for it (and they should be) that we will beat Meath in Breffni but it won't be by a lot.

This Sunday will tell us a lot. Donegal are being blown up out of all proportions based on a new manager. It's fascinating to see how people think that one change can suddenly make them a top 6 team again! Maybe I'm the fool but I think there won't be much in it on Sunday.

• Advertisement

McGuinness has been disrespectful about a lot of this Cavan side in the past. I hope that's remembered going into Sunday. We owe Donegal one after handing them the win in 2022.

Absolutely, there should be no aura about this Donegal side, despite the non-stop "return of the Messiah" narrative. They've lost their once in a lifetime player and I don't think McBrearty is to be feared either.

Having just typed that he probably will score 2-5 from play now! Brennan is hit and miss but if you let him find form in a game, he can be devastating. He was the difference for me in 2022 (and Conor Lane, but I'll let that go now!) Like ourselves they have scorers across all lines but I would be happy that we can and should have a decent cut at them. Would love to see us rip into them on Sunday. C'mon Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If it means anything, the bookies have Donegal strong favourites. Cavan 10/3, Draw 8/1, Donegal 1/3 with Boyle. 5/2, 15/2, 2/5 with Paddy Power.

I’m not reading too much into our performance last week or Donegal’s. As I keep saying, it was the first day of the League and you can get freak results.

What I did see is in Donegal is a huge intensity as they hunted in packs. They were playing Division 1 last year and will bring a standard we mightn’t see again in this Division other than in Armagh.

Again, and this proved wrong last week so hopefully it does again, going on the level the two teams have been playing at, and the fact that they beat us by six points in 2022, you have to expect a Donegal win.

Cavan King into the dressing room for a pre-match motivational chat with the lads so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

In your experience do u find that Cavan’s teams are more up for games vs Meath ? I presume Monaghon is your big one? Would Cavan get hard get up for a dear by game v Longford or Leitrim ?

In my experience its Monaghan or Meath we would get froth at the mouth about, probably getting stronger the closer to the border of either county you live. I've never really seen us not up for either of those teams. I remember we played Monaghan in a McKenna Cup game once and there was 5 red cards lol. There is an ancient rivarly from the 40s and 50s with Meath that was handed down and reignited due to the behaviour of some Kells ones in 1997 as we came back defeated from Croke Park. Personally I wouldnt like to see Meath or Monaghan win anything. (no offence!)

I think it depends on the player and their area to be honest. I’d talk to people from Mullagh & Virginia and they would see Meath as our big rival. I know people in Ballyconnell who absolutely hate losing to Fermanagh.

Leitrim are generally working off too low a base for anyone to take much notice of them.

It’s very much a geographic thing but I do believe the Meath rivalry went back to the 50s and battles for All Irelands so is probably the oldest.

Oisin Brady drops out and Ryan O’Neill comes in.

I would have thought that after such a good showing last week Cormac would be ahead of O'Neill for a start, O'Neill is a workhorse but I would doubt his ability to do much damage on the scoreboard.

WAC seemed to think both Liam Brady & Gary O’Rourke are possibly missing so we might see some changes.

Armagh have beaten Meath by twelve & Fermanagh beat Kildare by four.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

It might mean we need to recalibrate how good our win was last week? By all accounts Fermanagh were much better than Kildare.

Meath are there for taking but if Meath finish in bottom 2, 3rd bottom will go into the Taillteann.

Also, as shite as Kildare seem. There's a good chance they'll make the Leinster final as they are in easy side of the draw. It Kildare and Meath went down 4th bottom could also end up in the Taillteann!

I don’t see ending up in the Tailteann as a disaster. We didn’t win it so I still don’t overly think we deserved to leave it.

Staying in Division 2 is far more important than any of the championship comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

RTE make it a hard luck story for a "wasteful" Kildare. Their keeper fumbled a ball into his own goals, and they missed a penalty.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0203/1430252-fermanagh-do-enough-to-take-the-points-against-kildare/

Didn’t expect the weather to be this bad today going by the forecast earlier in the week. I wonder how the pitch will hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I think some Cavan supporters got a bit carried away after a win over what looks like a poor Kildare team. We could be relegated yet, i’d take staying in Division 2. Today will tell us where we stand.

Gallen the clear difference between the two sides at the minute. It’s a pity Clarke is on a yellow because I’d stick him back at full back.

The difference between the teams was kick out retention. Cavan forced long with almost every kick out and while the did ok on those 50:50 long balls, there was no plan b and they as a result they didn't get enough possession. The referee was appalling. The last play was a joke, Smith winning a mark. He threw it up and then blew final whistle despite Donegal feigning injuries about 3 times in injury time.

As for Donegal, they are anti football and will win nothing playing like they do. Gallen is quality but their style of play is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mogue77

Fully agree on all of this, all our kickouts were 50 50 balls where as Patton got all his kicks away to a Donegal man, ref very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Oisin Brady was a miss today he would have been good for 2 or 3 scores. For all the good Faulkner does his shooting let him down today dropped a couple off scorable shots short and a couple of wild shots.

Donegal missed a few too. But if we had of had our fair share of possession in the 2nd half we would've won.

Referee desperate for both teams. Jim McGuinness seemed to be worried second half as he never left wee Barry Cassidy alone. That was after the Donegal lads had provided some half time entertainment by arguing with the stewards that they should be allowed warm up on the pitch amongst the kids.

I’d move James Smith to midfield & put Killian Clarke into full back. Killian Brady will not want to see Oisin Gallen again.

Caoimhin O’Reilly did well when he came on. Had a bit of purpose about him.

Donegal are expected to walk through most of Division 2 so today should be a good sign.

The Cork game in two weeks is huge now.

I thought Faulkner was outstanding. Provided several big moments when we were under the cosh. Carolan was excellent too.

Caoimhin Reilly got a wonderful score from the sideline. Such a pity he didn't hit the score after Lynch's long ball. Encouraging performance from him though.

The referee was very frustrating and definitely blew the game up early.

Not sure what was happening with the kickout strategy. We were pressing but still allowed the kick to the first man on the D on several occasions. We didn't do great on breaking ball around the middle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Decent enough in the second half. A few lovely moves that should have been finished off. Ref had a very bad game, McGuiness brought something from the Soccer world with him.. Donegal lads going down like they were shot after the slightest contact.

Best thing is we went four down and didn't cave in, showed some balls and nearly brought the game back level.

Every game maybe apart from Armagh is a winnable game we should be looking at finishing third and maybe Fermanagh could do us a favour against Donegal or Armagh.

• Advertisement

Faulkner was super. Tired but then he had covered every blade of grass. I didn’t expect him to score the mark but the kick that Patton pulled from above the bar, I thought there was an option on the overlap for him to handpass it back to. That was the only piece of play I’d hold against him.

Annoyingly, Gerry Smith seemed to be back to the “quarterback” role. It’s a huge waste of the attacking talents he has.

The scores Oisin Brady can provide were definitely missed. He and Oisin Kiernan were certainly big losses.

I thought Gary O’Rourke did quite well on a high pressure debut, although you’d have to question the wisdom of a high kick out to Ryan O’Neill.

Advertisement