Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

odessy I've told you before, the best way to learn anything is to look it up for yourself.

You'll never learn if you keep asking other people for the answers.

Read up a little on the case and it should improve your ability to contribute to the thread in a meaningful manner.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

John Hellen was the one who told the Gardai about the missing kindling axe.

Finbarr and John Hellen were both close enough to Sophie’s house around 2:30 on Sat to see her in her kitchen and wave to her, according to Finbarr. This timing did not tally with sightings of Sophie in Schull on Sat.

There was another couple in the locality who also had horses, and used to graze them on Alfie’s fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Didn't make much sense the killer going to a shed to remove a block

In the conspiracy realm that the killer happened to be aware of this block and then removed it

There's still a missing weapon the axe I believe

Isn't there a suspicion that Bailey burnt this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's an interesting article. PhilMathers also put forward the hypothesis that she was killed in the morning. The lack of alcohol in her urine is pretty strong evidence.

Photos of the pumphouse show the lid was torn off. It's normal to assume the killer did this. If the killer didn't do this, then who did? I doubt a neighbour or Sophie would do this.

It's interesting that her friends said that she often wore her boots in the house as the floors were cold. I wonder if there a source for this? She had slippers with her. They're in the bathroom in a photo.

The caffeine in her system is interesting also, but without knowing the amount, it's difficult to infer anything from it. Caffeine has a half life of 4 to 6 hours. She had tea in the pub so it could just be this.

Why is the alcohol pretty strong evidence

Isn't it the case that she was ready for bed at 11

according to Daniel

I believe she was in the habit of drinking 1 or 2 glasses of wine in the evening

So how does that mean she died in the morning

• Advertisement

Sorry now to burst yours and Phils bubble but it's not normal to think the killer ripped the roof off a pumphouse some distance away to get a block to be used as a murder weapon when there were plenty of heavy rocks at hand.

It's not normal or logical. It takes a particularly vivid imagination to believe this even might have happened.

I kinda feel sorry for all the lads here who spent so much time and effort trying to convince themselves and others this was what happened.

When I say "I kinda feel sorry" that means the opposite. LOL.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

No alcohol detected in her urine. It can be detected 12 to 24 hours after consumption in urine.

She had wine with the Ungerers at 5pm. So if she was killed at 12 to 2am, it should've been detected.

It's also possible that she consumed wine that evening/night as a wine glass was on the mantelpiece with dregs in it.

Who do you think ripped the lid off the pumphouse so?

The article is linked above, here it is again for you;

No paywall

So you're saying she died in the morning and the gardai have missed this evidence until now

Are you the first to discover this change in the direction of the investigation or did you read this somewhere else?

• Advertisement

So we can effectively rule bailey out now that orangehyme has discovered the time of death is morning

This is a big development in the case if true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's possible that he feared that he would be implicated by the Guards in Ireland and held there longer than expected, and he also had a job to do as well, looking after his income. After all he had financial issues. Back then Ian Bailey wasn't the focus, and family members and husbands are always easy focus number one, especially if there are financial issues, and avoiding a costly divorce at stake. Daniel knew all this to a very high degree, - anybody would have in this situation.

It may also have been, that Daniel had no feelings for his wife anymore, and his next wife gotten pregnant pretty soon after Sophie's death. It is very much possible Daniel was already having an affair with his new wife to be, while Sophie was in Ireland.

All that said, purely from a financial perspective, Daniel Toscan DuPlantier hat the motive number one. This doesn't mean or prove he's the killer and also doesn't prove he hired somebody or knew a friend who knew somebody who did it for money. But it's a very very strong motive which can't be denied and the Guards obviously missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭CuriousCal

In response to Chris Farrell being an original suspect, I did not realise he was one but he’s somebody I’ve always suspected as he seems to have a history of violence including towards his wife

i believe if she was assaulted by him she wouldn’t be shouting about being with another man so this leads me to believe she is purely a distraction to take the heat off Chris Farrell

also it’s worth looking into his past very shady character, she’s also just as shady as him which leads me to believe she would have no problem lying for him to cover a murder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

It laughable that you think the gardai done a good job investigating this murder. It really is!

Given what we know about the west cork gardai its definite they missed evidence through lack of maintaining the crime scene, stupidity and pure bullheadedness

Do I think they fukked up something as simple as time of death based on alcohol in her system

No

There only orangehymes say so on the 12 hrs and let's face it he's thrown out a lot of wild theories here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭Deeec

What actually happened with Marie Farrell that night has never been confirmed - we still dont know the truth. Was she out that night with some random unnamed man? Then why didnt the gardai demand to speak to this man? Why didnt her hot headed husband Chris separate from her given how public it was made that his wife was out with another man - it seems out of character for him to forgive her.

My own opinion is that Marie was at home in bed but the question still remains who she was lying for and who made her tell the lies.

Why hasnt she suffered legally for her part in all of this? She was a major witness who told lie after lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭CuriousCal

I fully agree with you here it’s been lie after lie with her and she’s covering for someone

also agree the fact her husband didn’t separate from her speaks volumes especially considering how public her infidelity was

even the story that was first spun about her having a secret child and she had to lie or guards would make it public it is all so far fetched and also this was never mentioned again so I’m presuming it’s another lie

That's the problem with picking and choosing what you want from an article to suit your narrative.

Had you chose to continue your quote you would have included this bit;

"And the pattern of blood staining on the block does not support the view that it was used as a weapon. Rather, blood pattern analysis tends to indicate that it was in situ when she was bleeding and that her body was leaning or lying against it, causing voids on the surface which are free of blood."

What do you think of this assessment, bearing in mind what you can see for yourself from the crime scene photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,195 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Guards dont have a firm time of death. A morning death is possible and has never been ruled out. The Guards dont stress this as it weakens their case / scenario v Bailey.

As for the source of the 12 hours claim, here you go:

A blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test is commonly used to see if a person has been drinking recently. It is also called a blood alcohol content test. This test can find alcohol in your blood for up to 12 hours after drinking. It can also show the amount of alcohol that you drank.

https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/blood-alcohol-level/#:~:text=A%20blood%20alcohol%20concentration%20(BAC,of%20alcohol%20that%20you%20drank.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Never said that.

I said there's lots of evidence to suggest she died in the morning.

There is no accurate estimate time of death.

The dogs barking is evidence she died 12 to 2am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,195 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And if - big if - the block had already been moved from the pump house and was being used to prop the gate open. And wasnt wielded as a weapon - it blows the Alfie was too frail to move it angle out of the water. Seems like Alfie might have been moving the block to prop the gate open.

There is still the question of who or what damaged the pumphouse.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

There's little point in firing out links saying up to 12 hrs

I don't think there's any scientists here

I believe there's different types of tests and presumably up to 12 hrs depends on the amount drank

So for all we know it could be 4-6hrs for a glass of wine

Orangehyme was claiming this was strong evidence but we simply don't know this unless there's any scientist here that can confirm ?

It's a very long article and I chose the part I wanted to highlight. In doing that I left out probably 90% of the article so it's disingenuous of you to suggest I cherry picked one piece and the remainder doesn't suit my narritive.

As to your particular question on the opinion of the author that the cavity block was not used as one of the murder weapons I would take the opinion of Professor John Harbison as much more likely to be the correct one.

He was the person that examined the scene all the evidence and more importantly the body. He concluded that there was two murder weapons used, the concrete block and the heavy stone.

Up to 12 hours presumably is the upper limit for larger quantities of alcohol

So like many of orangehymes theories it doesn't seem to me strong evidence of time of death

Unless he has info to show otherwise

Listened to west Cork podcast ep3 last nite

They were saying 3 weapons used

I think possibly the missing axe is the 3rd?

That's for blood.

12 to 24 hours for alcohol in urine. Can be up to 72 hours for high consumption.

We know she was drinking wine at the Ungerers. She had two glasses of wine and left at 5.45 pm. She also likely drank a glass at home that evening or night.

5.45 pm + 12 hours = 5.45 am.

If she was killed at 2am, why was no alcohol detected in her urine?

As I said, I have more faith in Professer John Harbison's opinion.

I've no idea

I don't know enough but I assume the pathologist and investigators know more than you

That's a logical assumption in my view

I don't take your point at face value that the gardai have got the TOD wrong

• Advertisement

Ok, so you just picked the part that seemed to suggest that the block was not taken from the pumphouse, but was already on the other side of the lane holding the gate open?

Advertisement