Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

When Goodman exits, Richie Murphy would be a good replacement! He's done really well at 20's level.

Still nothing of the signings for next season. I think we'll see a glut of announcements over the next couple of weeks. I'd bet the house that Culhane, Murphy and Tector get contracted! Tector if some of the other 10's leave. Lasisi will probably have to move. Cannot see him signed at this stage. Cosgrave will probably be cut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because there isnt a rush to announce them.

Leinster likely will wait till later in season likw they usually do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's the middle of the 6 nations, can't remember them ever making big signing announcements now.

The biggest of course was already done and the Bok lad brought in....

Would it not be a backward step for Richie? he was assistant coach for years with Leinster and moved into IRFU

McNamara would be a good option if they can get from France.

Leinster is a very attractive job, Im sure plenty of people around the World are looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Seems there's a worry that Ringrose might miss the entire Six Nations through injury. If that's the case then he's cutting it very close to be ready for the Champions Cup knockouts.

Would be very nice to have Ngatai and or Osborne make their return to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wouldn't be super worried for the R16 but he'd be a big loss for the QF unless ngatai is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Osborne should be back in the next week or 2 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

It might be worth noting that an U20's coach expects to lose at least 70% of his previous year's squad because of age criteria. This is never the case in senior rugby. It seems that Murphy, building on his predecessors efforts, has a unique skill set with which he has achieved notable & consistent success. That skill set may not be entirely transferable to the senior game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

My guess for players movement next season:

OUT:Ed Byrne, Michael Ala'alatoa, Temi Lasisi, Jason Jenkins, Rhys Ruddock, Martin Moloney, Harry Byrne, Charlie Ngatai and Chris Cosgrave.

IN: RG Snyman, Tighthead prop and utility Back.

He was fairly successful when he was with Leinster, hence why he got moved to the national side and then to U20

I support the way with the U20 is see what is coming up, at the moment the pipeline seems good, it's best to jump when that maybe dries up a little

Why would Harry Byrne leave?

Is Rhys really leaving as well?

It seems like it is going to be a coin toss between Frawley and Harry to leave this summer. The odds on favourite seems to be Frawley so he can get more time at 10 like Carbery did but I can't see Harry being thrilled of being behind Ross much longer and then he knows that Leinster have Prendergast earmarked for the future.

At least at Ulster, Harry who is considered a better prospect than Frawley is given more time to play and hopefully push on to the level the IRFU thought he would be at by now. Frawley should see the field alot for Leinster if he stayed.

Rhys is at an age where he is a club legend but the younger prospects as well as the seasoned internationals are now starting to pass him by in the pecking order. He has Ryan Baird, Josh Van Der Flier, Caelan Doris, Max Deegan, Will Connors, Jack Conan, Alex Soroka, Scott Penny and James Culhane to name a good few fighting for spots.

I think for a player of his status, it might be a disservice to keep him on, he deserves game time and I honestly think a move elsewhere that allows him to get regular rugby is a respectful decision for Leinster.

I think a move to Ulster would be good for him. Dave Ewers, Nick Timoney, and Rhys Ruddock would be a very bulky group of forwards with a vast amount of experience.

Why would any of them leave Leinster? Harry is currently fighting with Ross for the number 1 spot and Predergast will be at least 1-2 season before he will be fighting.

Frawley is playing more minutes than a lot of the squad and managed to get into the Ireland squad on the back of it.

Looking at it from a player point of view I dont see why anyone of H Byrne, R Byrne, Frawley would leave now unless Frawley really wants to play 10 over any other position.

Rhys I could maybe see leaving if the playing for Wales is real. Just hadn't seen anything to say he was. Can't see him moving to Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I'd be shocked if Harry Byrne leaves. The only 10 we'll lose is Tector (he's literally the forgotten man, no-one mentioned him in our out-half depth). He's a quality player who's still very young and has a lot of potential. His only issue is that he doesn't look like he has the same ceiling as Prendergast or H. Byrne.

There's almost exactly 4 years between Ross (28) and Harry (24), and then almost exactly 4 years between Harry and Sam Prendergast (20). That's the succession planning, and none of those players are going anywhere. Frawley may leave, I'd be surprised but not shocked if he left. He'll see a lot of rugby in a Leinster shirt over the next couple of seasons if he stays imo as he's the perfect pick for 23 in a 6/2 split, so I think he could be convinced to stay.

It is widely rumoured that one of Leinster's fly halves will be making the trip up north this summer with Billy Burns heading down to Munster to replace Carbery. It is meant to be either Harry or Frawley going to Ulster. It is highly unlikely that Leinster keep Ross, Harry, Frawley and Prendergast as well as Tector.

I don't think Wales pull the trigger on Ruddock. The Welsh squad needs to move towards getting a lot younger with a severely aging squad. He still could head over and get into the squad but I think with Ulster, a chance at 1st team rugby, a chance to potentially get back into the Ireland conversation and not having to completely uproot his family would be beneficial.

It might be reported but you can't force players to move if they don't want. That is what happened to Joey and it was a disaster in reality from day 1.

In regards to Leinster, they have Harry/Ross as two senior 10, with Predergast as the young player. Frawley in reality is the second 15 based on what I have seen and he can play 12 & 10. With the amount of games they play that is not really stacked.

The situation is very similar to Joey when they had him playing 15 because they felt he wasn't a 10, based on what has happened I think we should all agree Leinster was right.

Of course the decision here is if Frawley has decided he wants to play 10 and is ready to move to get that chance. That is his personal choice and shouldn't be forced.

Like I said, it has been said it is likely that a fly half will leave Leinster. It is meant to be either Harry or Frawley. You can't force a player to do anything but they are not stupid. starting for Ulster is a huge opportunity and a way to make alot more money than they might get as a 2nd or 3rd choice 10. They would probably both jump at the offer. Ross is still young, so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Harry would benefit from the move more. Frawley is the more likely but I can see his head being turned by Leinster with a near certain role in a match day 23 with his versatility.

Frawley is a player who can play fly half but is also a 12/15 and Leinster see him as a 15 who can play other positions.

The provinces can't outbid each other.

As we seen this year, a long term injury to Ross means Leinster are down to Harry/Predergast, with both in the international squad as well. Also Ross would be confident he would be in the international squad.

• Advertisement

It isn't about outbidding the other province. Leinster would have paid Carbery the same money he got with Munster but the IRFU spoke to Carbery and said his best chance at getting regular rugby at his preferred position would be at Munster.

The same scenario might happen for Frawley. It could also be said that the IRFU have indicated that either Byrne or Frawley have more of a chance of being considered for Ireland selection if they play week in week out.

The provinces can't outbid each other. At the time the IRFU was in turmoil because of the PJ incident and they needed a replacement 10 to backup Sexton. I don't think anyone has come out of the Joey situation in good light. It was clear at the time Leinster wanted him to play 15 and Joe put pressure on him to move to Munster to play 10.

Was it in the interest of the player?

Frawley made the NZ tour, a tour he made based on playing 12 for Leinster. He was in the AI squad before injury. From recollection last 6 nations he was injured. He was part of the warm up squad but didn't make the World cup and was straight back into the squad for the 6 nations.

He is playing week in week out, as I already pointed out he has more minutes than most of the Leinster squad. What squads is he really missing out on?

Harry has well has been playing and only ruled out for some games because of injury, his biggest issue was the NZ tour when he picked up an injury and couldn't play.

You can make up a scenario to say why he should move but in reality Frawley career is flying at Leinster, he is in the majority of Ireland squads since the WC and injury was his biggest issue. The reason to move would be only if he really wants to play 10

Harry is similar, it's not lack of minutes due to be dropped is his issue, the number of niggly injuries he has picked up has meant he has missed minutes.

It's unsurprising. It's usually one or the other out for fairly long spells. I thought it would be Henshaw this time but, Ringrose has been healthy for a year or so. Both of these boys are very unlucky.

I remember there were some announcements made during the 6nations last year.

Not sure if it's a step back! But he's a very good coach and there's no top jobs available at the moment. He could be tempted overseas? I would think he would be great at Ulster.

If any one of the out half do leave, my guess would be Harry. Above to Ulster or Connacht would get him more in the spotlight and more opportunities to play in big games. Frawley as a Swiss army knife is perfect for Leinster and Ireland. If Ngati leaves, Frawley steps in. He also plays full back and 10.

Tector will probably go elsewhere. My guess would be Connacht.

Year 3 academy players are Murphy a scrum half, Tector. Cosgrave, Boyle and Lasisi. I see Murphy getting signed and obviously Boyle. The other lads could be moved on.

From the year 2 lads, I would bet that Culhane and Brownlee get signed.

Harry is the number 2 outhalf for one of the top provinces in Europe. Without any injuries he will back himself to jump his brother.

How would playing for Connacht/Ulster get him into the spotlight more?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Snyman back in full training apparently. Hopefully Munster don't break him again, looking forward to seeing how he goes for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

I'd say moving g would get him in the spotlight sooner. Ross isn't a slouch either.

Advertisement