Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

That was heroic great skill and technique against that massive french team Murphy is some coach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Fantastic win by a fantastic team. Every time it looked like the momentum was slipping away they stepped it up (very much like the senior team).

The one nitpick is that as a nation our 1 glaring weakness is in the scrum. We just don't seem to be producing top class scrumaging props. Now perhaps we are prioritising mobile ball playing props at the expense of carrying a prop just for scrums like in yesteryear.

All that aside the future does look bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Ahh we got butchered and got away with a few others. Sparrows a poor scrummager i think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My first time watching Alan Spicer play. He's a big lump of a fella and when he hits you you stay hit. Always a positive for a lock.

He isn't the turbo athlete that Leinster and Ireland have been selecting in recent years. But he looks good at set piece and works hard. Definitely worth persisting with. Especially as he's only 18 and qualifies for the u20's again next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Sparrow got eaten in a number of them. It did better than i thought it would tho.

Both props are recent enough converts. this is a development tournament at the end of the day tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That was as hard and physical game as you’d see.

Great win, great heart and teamwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

I completely understand but the 1 weakness in both teams is exactly the same. It's no secret that we are light on props coming through in Ireland.

Anyway I don't want to take away from tonight. It was a great result and performance. The prop situation is a wider concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Who are you and why have you hacked Dubinusa's account?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Would have been annoyed if we didn't win that. Whenever we played a couple of phases we seemed to make inroads pretty easily but we were a little bit sloppy in the breakdown. To be expected in the first match to be fair.

Some serious talent in the team. Gleeson looks a monster at this level. Ireland are producing serious talent in the back row consistently.

Like the look of De Klerk. Has something about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Some glimpses of real talent on show. Some probably just going to to join the backlog of back rows all over the country fighting for playing time. Gleeson is obviously on the track to being a regular URC player at least. Gavin will hopefully get some appearances. I liked the look of Hopes but fear he might disappear. Not much on show from the half backs or back three and it's always hard to know with the props. A lot only come good with age and experience. If we had an equivalent flog the ProD2 it would do these lads a world of good.

AFAIK the Top14 clubs didn't release players for the 6N so we won't see the best of the French until the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭typhoony

He's a bit like a 2nd row that the French or English team would have, you lose out due to his lack of athleticism but you gain with the extra heft he provides in the set pieces and mauls. I don't think he's ever going to be a player that carries and makes meters or tackles a huge amount but you definitely need a player like him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't see anything about Spicer to suggest he'll have a career in pro rugby but I'd like to quote myself in 5 years when he's pulling on an Ireland jersey.

Spicer is just 18. Plenty of time to improve.

I think you will be. That size is such an asset in scrum and maul. The latter especially would be a big deal. I think other than that you put a ton of work into him being just a rock defensively, and you have a very valuable player.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnh6767

Gavin, Gleeson were standout ! They will be players of the competition. Very different dynamic to last year where Gunne / Prendergast dictated the Irish plays and controlled the game. This year I feel our pack determine the result. French back line became weaker as the game progressed which is unlike them . Mind you 6N French team were a world apart when it came to world championship

A little work on explosiveness and athleticism will benifit Spicer. He played pretty well. Just 18! Holy feck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnh6767

Watched again. Some very fine players on that team, Gleeson, Gavin, O’Connell, & DeKlerk are standout in my view

• Really super win. That French team had a lot of talent in it, and a load of top level rugby experience, and it’s testament to the coaching that Ireland won it.

Thought Hugh Gavin was the best player on the pitch. He’s got everything and has come on a lot year over year. Both he and Gleeson play with a bit of edge or nastiness to their game which is brilliant.

Don’t get the criticism of the scrum - we were fine there until Sparrow left. Thought Danny Sheehan had a good game.

Brian Gleeson immense as always, and I thought Joe Hopes looks a really good player.

Hugo McLaughlin had a few nice moments and would have had a walk in try but for an inexcusably poor piece of play from O’Connor.

Would like to see if Sean Edogbo could bring another carrier or a bit more dynamism into the 23.

Some quality players on the French side. Both wingers exceptionally quick, back row all big and abrasive. Scrum half was incredibly annoying but a quality player.

The rewatch is a pleasure too. Seriously exciting match. Our lads with previous experience really stood out. Coffee played quite well. He's got a good kicking game. I really like the back row, they were very good.

As this 6nations continues the lads will gel and kick on. England could be a banana skin though! They looked very good.

I know Murphy and Corrigan are from Pres, Bray. Who's the 3rd player?

If Sparrow blew his hammy, I think Deay will come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Where were you able to rewatch?

Its my recollection that every scrum penalty was before he left (or all but one) and on his side. Obviously, that doesn't mean he himself was to blame but its rare that my memory is that far off. I'd like to see it again though to check.

I thought O Connor should have passed but also that winger was one of the fastest i've ever seen at this level and then made the perfect tackle. 95/100 times that's a try and we never talk about it again.

Also, i thought it was illegal to tackle with the arm over the shoulder. And it certainly looked like his arm was over his shoulder.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I recorded it on first watching (record almost every game - have the Sky box jammed up with French Top 14 games).

I thought they largely stood their ground in the scrum, and in two occasions it was French players popping up and getting rewarded. It wasn’t a calamity anyway, given they were giving away a lot of size in the front row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Advertisement