Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

give exhaustive evidence on what? you only keep posting what the law says, you show/say nothing on how return can go after the store. you only keep pointing to what laws you think the store has broken. and provided no actual reasoning for return showing the store is guilty, or of showing that the store has to repay the deposits of cans that were obtained and redeemed by customers who never paid a deposit. return have no way of knowing which can came from where.

in a court you're told to prove it, and show on paper how you came to believe the store is guilty. no speculation allowed on proof for your claims. not a copy paste of what laws you think they broke

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Augme

Is the general waste bin not more expensive than the green one?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think its actually possible to get rid of your green bin anymore; and nearly every provider that charges per lift or by weight is cheaper for the green bin than the general waste (blue/black/a different shade of green) bin anyway.

I've a choice of three providers, and every single plan is three bins - no choices. There are per lift plans available but all have vastly cheaper green and brown bins than general

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Greyhound are adding a 1euro tag to the green bin in March when getting lifted but a house needs this to recycle more dry recyclables.

Cant afford General waste for everything as you want to use this less.

Plastic bottles and cans getting diverted from bin very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So what's the story now with bottles that have the tax charged but no Return logo. Can we just stick them in the machine? If so, might we go through our recycle bin and picks others out and put them through as well? I suppose worst comes to worst and they won't take them, we can leave them there for the store to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bog master

Good few post on here denying that waste providers would not increase charges without raising a fuss in the media when a child in primary could work out an income decrease equals a price rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭greasepalm

New barcode on bottles and cans can get authorization in machine only if no logo ,

Manual return needs a logo.

I doubt any of us yet have new stock as stores need to get rid of all stock first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

So I had a strange experience at the self return machine

3 cans inserted

First one taken 15c added to the receipt. Second can was then not accepted so I took it back. Third can was accepted but the 15c was not added to the receipt!

When I printed the receipt there was only 15c on it, yet two cans were taken by the machine.

Didn't reallty care as it was just 15c......but on the other hand it shouldn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭SteM

But these are machines that have been working in other countries for years without issues. What could go wrong here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Went to Tesco today, two machines one out of action.

Selling off 24 trays of 7up free, pepsi max etc for 10 euros - clearly marked as not having the recycling deposit - so stocked up, still plenty left. By the time I am buying more at least I will know they can be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭SteM

At what part of the return process do you need supply your club card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

I am on a pay as you use system with my waste company. I don't put the green (recycling) bin out at all. It's cheaper for me to bring my recycling (including stuff the bin wouldn't take - glass, aluminium foil, metal) to the local recycling centre - I can get rid of a lot more there and the entry fee (4 euro )is less than one green bin collection charge (about 7.50 euro at the mo).

I have no doubt the recycling centre entry fee will go up as the throughput of aluminium cans and plastic bottles goes down.

Post edited by gipi on

But we are being told this new system will be provided at no extra cost!!! me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Someone using an automatic checkout in Tesco was asked to scan a Clubcard first before using an RVM voucher.

Another poster did not have that problem.

It's probably an incorrectly programmed machine.

In any event it's in breach of the Return rules so shouldn't be happening.

With the current confusion stocking up seems like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why didn't someone invent a machine that would take any of these vans in any condition and have the intelligence to put the barcode in such a way that it would be read by the machine?

Accepting only intact cans is surely cutting out a whole lot of cana that are recyclable also.

They are surely crushed at some.point after they enter the machine.

There are simple solutions.to.moat things but obviously an agenda or lak of foresight restricts tackling these issues in a more straightforward way.

Anyhoo no concern of me.. I don't purchase cans in any form or minerals.

You are dealing with a quango that backtracks within 24 hours on it press releases about conditions, and you expect "have the intelligence"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Was in Lidl this afternoon, while my wife was shopping, out of pure curiosity I took a few mins to see what's on the shelves.

Somewhat to not be able to find any "new stock", i.e items with deposit or logo. Single exception was the Kinnegar beers.

When do we think the tipping point will be, i.e when will most items have the logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭bren2001

I did my main shop in Aldi yesterday. Pretty much all the beers had a sign saying there’s 15c deposit but zero had a SEL with the +15c. None of the soft drinks had it and I bought some ZX cola, no deposit charged.

Tesco had labels on everything. Machine worked fine when I dropped in my juice and label scanned fine at self service.

Random guess? After Paddy’s day is the tipping point for my Aldi. No logic to it.

• Advertisement

Did my shopping yesterday and looking closely for deposit notifications. SValu no notices, one large mineral bought-no deposit.

Aldi, beer bought amongst regular groceries, no notices-labels, no deposit charged. Machine sitting there very lonely and looked to be twice the size of the one in SValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i scanned the deposit receipt after the stuff i was buying. scanned the barcode like i would milk. an error message popped up.

yer man came over asked me to scan clubcard and then deposit receipt, it was then credited off the bill.

it seems this was prob an error as you dont need to be clubcard member to use the deposit receipt per posts above

I seem to be the exception where it did work. Nobody else has said it works in Tesco without a clubcard.

I could be wrong but I think only the two of you reported on how you fared with redeeming an RVM voucher at a Tesco automatic checkout.

That's one that required clubcard and one that didn't.

Obviously it shouldn't happen and needs to be sorted but it may not be widespread.

Didn’t cop it was the same person. Apologies 😅

No need to apologise it's a busy thread and I miss bits as well.

I don't think Tesco would purposely make Clubcards mandatory to get a refund credited at automatic checkouts.

Firstly because it's not allowed under the terms of the Return scheme and secondly because they want customers to use the automatic checkouts smoothly. Not out of any concern for the customer but just to get them out of the way to make room for the next one.

They don't want delays at the manual checkouts or customer service desk either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Went to my local Tesco to give it a try, had a bag of random cans and bottles, all rejected. 3 of the 4 machines out of service also, wether they were broke or needed emptying I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bought my first plastic bottle since this kicked off today, standard bottle of Lucozade orange, was charged the deposit. Got home and out of curiosity checked the barcode on the re-rurn site but it wasn't recognised. Not too hopeful of getting my money back. Not a great first impression.

• Advertisement

Hang onto it and the receipt.

Try it in an RVM and if it doesn't refund go back to where you bought it, they owe you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement